PDA

View Full Version : Frogfish - Family Antennariidae

mrbheagney
09-06-2008, 04:31
Extremely well camouflaged killers who pretty much sit around looking like a sponge or something equally non-threatening. They have evolved their own little fishing rod called an illicium that is tipped with a lure which they wriggle infront of the mouth. Small fish attracted to the lure are swallowed whole. They can actually swallow fish their own size. I have only ever seen one but they are the main reason I want to get to PNG one day. A few pictures on here would be great!

wgt
09-06-2008, 07:50
Extremely well camouflaged killers who pretty much sit around looking like a sponge or something equally non-threatening. They have evolved their own little fishing rod called an illicium that is tipped with a lure which they wriggle infront of the mouth. Small fish attracted to the lure are swallowed whole. They can actually swallow fish their own size. I have only ever seen one but they are the main reason I want to get to PNG one day. A few pictures on here would be great!

These are another favorite of mine, and I have seen a number of them, even though they are uncommon in my neighborhood. I did not see any in the Indo-Pacific, however, which surprised me.

Despite their generally maintaining a stable posture to avoid detection, I have seen a few on the move (after being bothered by divers). The walking on foot-like fins is fascinating, while the awkward (and slow) swimming is pure comedy. Even left alone, however, they will periodically stretch and yawn to reveal an intimidating oral cavity. As with many other stationary ambush hunters, the brisk opening of this large mouth creates profound suction that draws small unlucky fish inexorably inward to their death.

Bigg_Budd
09-06-2008, 08:12
Saw this guy in Hawaii. They were all over the place...

Aussie
09-07-2008, 04:29
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3178/2695025495_a61f4816e0_o.jpg

I found this guy in Tulamben, Bali, Indonesia

Cheers Mark

teerlkay
11-25-2008, 22:16
Aussie - I enjoy looking at your pictures posted on Scubatoys. They all are very impressive.

ScubaDude
11-28-2008, 19:42
Nice pics Aussie, keep postin' 'em!

CODMAN
12-02-2008, 12:46
Yup, Frogfish are definetly one of my favorites! They are hard buggers to spot, but once you've spotted your first, you start knowing what to look for and it becomes easier... I saw quite a few while in the Philippines...

CODMAN