PDA

View Full Version : Buoyancy problem/horizontal twisting

=CrackedHalo=
09-06-2008, 18:13
Hey guys, first post here.... hoping someone has had a similar issue and can help.

I recently bought all new gear. Bare 7mm, Ranger BC, and a few others. When I'm under I am having problems staying horizontal. I find my left side wants to float, and so i start to twist. I couldn't figure out what was going on until i stopped and stayed still. Twisting like a Cork screw :smiley19:

Now I have even weights, all in the BC pockets, 2 in the back pouches, two even in the fronts. I've tried to tighten all my straps.

I have noticed if I lean to one side and twist under water... I hear a water bubbling sound..... my buddy advised no bubbles... so it must be something only I'm hearing/feeling.

I hope this is clear.... can't figure out how else to describe the problem.

Cheers! :smiley20:

fire diver
09-06-2008, 18:49
Without diving with you it's hard to figure out. first question, are you a newly certified diver? I only ask becuase sometime its just a matter of getting used to the act of diving.

Second, remember that the air in your BC is a fluid, and it will shift to one side if it has the opportunity. This may be the "bubbling" sound you hear?

Look at all your gear together. Maybe there is something you've overlooked, or hadn't noticed. Inflate your BC all the way until the OPV pops. Look at the BC, does it look symetrical? is everything even?

Thats where I would start anyway.

freeski4ever
09-06-2008, 19:08
The water bubbling sound you are describing is the residiual air inside your wing's bladder. To help prevent this from happening, use the least amount of weight that still allows you to get neutral so you aren't over-weighting yourself, and filling your BC with air to compensate. Even after doing this, you will still have a small amount of air in the wing, which you need to try and center over your back, or distribute evenly on either side of the horseshoe-wing.

Also, make sure that the clips on the sides of the wing are clipped to the BC, as this will help to prevent your wing from floating out to the sides.

Good luck, and hope this helps.

mitsuguy
09-06-2008, 19:27
yup... sounds like when I have too much weight and inflate the BC unevenly... if you start out leaning to one side while you add air, the air will tend to go to that side (plus the inflator is on the left side too)...

two things you can do - one - after you add enough air to get you buoyant (make sure you do a proper weight check), feel the bladder on both sides - I can intentionally get all the air on one side which makes that side feel fuller and the other side feel deflated - try looking head up for a second, then get back horizontal - the air should relatively evenly disperse... the other thing you can do is use the dump on the left side to dump some of that air, then try adding a little more and lean left while you do - this will make the air you add go to the right side to hopefully even things out...

pyre24
09-15-2008, 00:44
I used to have the twisting problem real bad. A year later I take a bouyancy class, and I cant keep from twisting, while I sat on the botoom it hit me. I have a metal plate in my hip. Took a yr to catch it. So I am 2 pounds shy on my right side to help balance. I always blamed my bc for twisting.:smiley36:

JimHar99
09-15-2008, 07:10
I don't know about the bubbling sound, but the twisting sounds like a weight distribution problem to me. You said that you have even weights in the BC pockets (2 in the back pouches and 2 in the front). I think your buoyancy would be much better if you could move more weight to the front, and less in the back.

trekkindave
09-15-2008, 08:37
I have the same thing with my ranger on occasion.. i used to thing it was my tank being twisted and throwing my weight off... but when i noticed that the "bubbling" was happening when i rolled i figured it out...

like previously mentioned try becoming a little more heads up/feet down.. this should help the air move around the horse shoe bladder a little better

i suspect that donut bladders don't have this problem, maybe someone can confirm that.

MSilvia
09-15-2008, 09:40
Sounds to me like your wing might be trapping air on one side. What size bladder do you have, and what size tank are you using with it?

cummings66
09-15-2008, 12:21
I don't know for sure why you twist, but I do know that it's probably not the weight issue. Many of us dive easily with gear configs that put more weight on one side than the other, so I think it's more a matter of technique.

I'd suggest paying attention to what your arms and legs are doing. It's possible that you're unbalanced that way, or by air bubbles trapped on one side or the other.

Jack Hammer
09-15-2008, 13:31
Check the gear in your pockets too. Make sure you don't have all your lights, extra stuff,etc only in the right pockets. You might also try weighing your weights to make sure they are actually what they are labeled to be. I have seen some that are quite a bit off, %wise.

Also, just to be sure, next time you dive, go down 15-20 feet, get level, and have your buddy check the bubble movement in your bc as you shift side to side to make sure it isn't somehow restricted and or there isn't a problem with your technique (ex, head down with a horseshoe) that is preventing air from moving from one side to the other side. Also have your buddy check that you are actually level.

Jack

freeski4ever
09-15-2008, 15:42
i suspect that donut bladders don't have this problem, maybe someone can confirm that.

Actually, any bladder can have this problem. It's all about choosing the right sized wing, and not adding too much air. I have an Oxycheq 18lb travel wing which happens to be a doughnut-shape, and can hear and feel the air moving around inside it when i roll left and right underwater.

elijahb
09-15-2008, 18:48

Actually, any bladder can have this problem. It's all about choosing the right sized wing, and not adding too much air. I have an Oxycheq 18lb travel wing which happens to be a doughnut-shape, and can hear and feel the air moving around inside it when i roll left and right underwater.
I think you missed his point.
A horse shoe wing can't transfer air left to right when you are head down (inverted). A Donut bladder can transfer air from left to right when you are head down (inverted).

Largo
09-15-2008, 19:13
With the Ranger, please make sure that your cam bands are assembled correctly.

Splitlip
09-15-2008, 19:29
I am gonna say the bubble is getting trapped on one side causing the twist. The gurgling you here is the bubble moving. You may have too much wing.

What is the size of your wing, what cylinder are you using and how much weight are you carrying?

Edit: Just saw Largo's post. The Zeagle is a soft backpack, so both straps need to be tight so the cylinder does not go catiwompas. Your buddy should see this though.

warscout2
09-15-2008, 23:46
i also have and love my ranger. It sounds like you have to much of you total weight in your back trim pocket. the trim pockets are just to make it easier if you have floaty feat. so i only use 2 lb in the back pockets and 10 pounds in the front that fixed my spinning

coral cowgirl
09-29-2008, 21:09
"I am gonna say the bubble is getting trapped on one side causing the twist. The gurgling you here is the bubble moving."
Ditto.....I remember having a twist to the left and trying to redistribute my weight. But a simple occasional right shoulder drop shifted the "bubble" to the left shoulder and "picked it up". Now that I use less weight, it's not an issue anymore.

nikefreekz
10-06-2008, 02:52
i seriously guess it's a matter of fitting the Ranger correctly, i used to have that problem too but that's becos i'm not wearing the BC correctly or as snugly as i should be...

cajunfla
10-06-2008, 05:17
I have never heard of air making noise in my BC, but I have heard water sloshing around after I hold the dump button too long and water gets in.

nikefreekz
10-11-2008, 08:27
i second that too, it's probably the water inside the bladder, how would air make any noise at all???

mitsuguy
10-11-2008, 10:27
i second that too, it's probably the water inside the bladder, how would air make any noise at all???

water pressure forms a restriction, and moving from side to side, air can make noise...

James1010
11-16-2008, 13:42
I had the same issue for a little time. I used a weight belt and found myself going horizontle quite often so I moved the belt up to right above my belly button and I was able to stay level. Then I started to find the issue of rolling left or right and it was quite annoying. But it was a quick fix I moved my weights around to while I was under the water to where I stayed level. Also go with weight intergrated for your bc it will help and don't hesitate to add one of your weights to the strap on your tank. It will help also.

Bob-B
11-16-2008, 17:54
On my OW Cert. dive I had 26 lbs of lead on a belt. I could not stop on the bottom with out twisting on to my back. Instructor and I moved the larger weights around to the front and problem was solved. now I try to keep 2/3 of the weights from the hips forward.