PDA

View Full Version : Energy.............

Joe L
09-08-2008, 10:29
Well I just broke the 190 mark, from 218. Now I kinda want to hover. I need to balance weight loss with eating enough for energy. I believe this will be the toughest point... I would like to stay in between 185 - 190 and now gain on energy. I thought loosing weight would give me more energy, and it has a bit but, I do wear out a some.

Any suggestions?

I do now run a couple miles 3 times a week but, am pretty drained after that.

fireflock
09-08-2008, 10:41
Sleep is big for me. I don't notice a difference with day to day activities, but I can really tell if I missed a hour or two of sleep once I start running.

Otherwise, you build endurance by adding a longer run/ride/workout once a week or so.

Rich

3rdEye
09-08-2008, 10:48
congrats on dropping those pounds....

what do you generally eat in a day?

Joe L
09-08-2008, 12:25
congrats on dropping those pounds....

what do you generally eat in a day?

Thanks, I start the day with a bowl of cereal, usually Life. Sometimes 1 slice wheat toast with peanut butter and honey. Lunch, fat free yogurt, at least 4 times a week, the other days, light lunch. Dinner, a regular dinner, stopping before I over eat.
I was a junk food junkie and I cut ALL of that out in the last 2 months, with an occasional cookie maybe once a week.
Then started walking fast, then running sometimes and walking the other times, then all running...
Let me tell you, it was tough. I really worked on my will power and diving had allot to do with it. NOW, I need more energy. Yes, I do work 2 jobs and sleep sometimes is lacking. JOe

3rdEye
09-08-2008, 12:34
sounds like you're on the right track with the types of foods you eat...

i might include some more lean protein like salmon and egg whites if possible, flax oil and olive oil and nuts are great healthy fats, and great for energy. Also, sipping green tea can be a good energy booster. And don't forget to drink enough water...dehydration can cause fatigue.

3rdEye
09-08-2008, 12:38
also, try to squeeze in a 20-40 min power nap....it helps

Joe L
09-08-2008, 12:59
sounds like you're on the right track with the types of foods you eat...

i might include some more lean protein like salmon and egg whites if possible, flax oil and olive oil and nuts are great healthy fats, and great for energy. Also, sipping green tea can be a good energy booster. And don't forget to drink enough water...dehydration can cause fatigue.

Thanks 3E, I will try adding a some... I thnk most of my energy before was a in the way of short time sugar.

Joe L
09-08-2008, 13:02
also, try to squeeze in a 20-40 min power nap....it helps

I am also thinking of starting a light weight lifting program, nothing major but, adding a bit more muscle where the fat used to be.

Foo2
09-08-2008, 14:08
Way to go Joe!!! It sounds like you are doing great! Keep up the work.

bubble-head
09-08-2008, 15:04
Awesome progress! I'm down to 210 and hope to break the 200 barrier soon.

Joe L
09-09-2008, 10:28
Thanks Guys, One thing I can say to all who are trying to loose is, when you see the pounds coming off, see the pants looser, the willpower increases. Now, I can stay away from the sweets cause I can see the results, I hope, or at least in small moderation's to be able to maintain my goal. I am 51 so, more than just getting back into shape to think about. BEING MORE HEALTHY is my main concern.
Good luck to all that are trying to loose.

megzuwo
09-09-2008, 11:30
Bravo! That really is impressive Joe. I would say your diet seems great for energy, but add in some whole-wheat carbs (they make whole wheat pasta and it's AMAZING! Add oil and cheese, and it's still fairly healthy), and the green-tea addition is a great thing, even if you just take the pill in the morning. Another vitamin that is great for you as well as a weight-loss additive is Fish Oil. It has Omega3 fatty-acids (don't let the fatty acid title fool you) which absolutely rocks in lowering chloresterol and getting your blood flowing strong...which in turn keeps your energy going.

Both of these are just every day vitamins you can take that are a natural, healthy way of gaining energy, as opposed to taking some 'hollywood skinny-pill fad' (not that i'm saying you're taking those just that these two vit. are really good for you!).

I hope this helps a little, but those things should help improve your energy; whole-wheat carbs, green tea, and fish oil pills!

Great job again!! :)

Joe L
09-09-2008, 12:04
Bravo! That really is impressive Joe. I would say your diet seems great for energy, but add in some whole-wheat carbs (they make whole wheat pasta and it's AMAZING! Add oil and cheese, and it's still fairly healthy), and the green-tea addition is a great thing, even if you just take the pill in the morning. Another vitamin that is great for you as well as a weight-loss additive is Fish Oil. It has Omega3 fatty-acids (don't let the fatty acid title fool you) which absolutely rocks in lowering chloresterol and getting your blood flowing strong...which in turn keeps your energy going.

Both of these are just every day vitamins you can take that are a natural, healthy way of gaining energy, as opposed to taking some 'hollywood skinny-pill fad' (not that i'm saying you're taking those just that these two vit. are really good for you!).

I hope this helps a little, but those things should help improve your energy; whole-wheat carbs, green tea, and fish oil pills!

Great job again!! :)

Actually this helps allot and I appreciate it.:smiley31:

lucidblue
09-09-2008, 12:40
Great job!

You may also want to add a protein shake into the mix. Most protein shakes are really gross, but Muscle Milk (http://www.cytosport.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=1) actually tastes good. Has a bunch of flavors, but Orange Cream, Cookies and Cream, and Mocha Latte are my favorites. I had to gag down protein shakes before I tried this brand and now it's like dessert. If you get it from DPS Nutrition (http://www.dpsnutrition.net/get_item_ct039.htm) the price is reasonable.

megzuwo
09-09-2008, 17:03
the chocolate whey protein is my favorite, I usually mix in frozen fruit and a lowfat yogurt. Man, now I want one.

Joe L
09-09-2008, 18:40
Oh I don't know, just the idea of a protein drink really doesn't sound to appetising. I eat allot of yogurt for lunch and find my fill of that, although the light/no fat yogurt I eat does taste like pie filling...Its the one where the advertisement on TV has the wife telling a friend on the phone about all the good stuff she eats like, key lime, lemon meringue, Boston cream and the husband is going crazy in the fridge looking for those goodies.... :smilie39:LOL.
I start the Green tea in the AM and have already bought the Fish Oil tabs.. Thanks

megzuwo
09-09-2008, 20:20
Haha, I'm glad I could help! And the protein shakes are really for if you get into weight lifting, otherwise you're just adding to your body mass in a way thats meant to turn into muscle (but once again-only if you were looking to get all big/muscular)

3rdEye
09-09-2008, 22:09
i wouldn't say that protein shakes are necessarily only for weightlifters.....it sounds like the OP probably doesn't eat enough, and this is the reason for the fatigue. Protein shake might be a convenient way to get some quality protein and quality calories, as opposed to filling up on junk, or not eating enough to the point where the body goes in to starvation mode, and starts to atrophy muscle, and actually slow the metabolism, which of course is bad.

Joe L
09-10-2008, 05:34
i wouldn't say that protein shakes are necessarily only for weightlifters.....it sounds like the OP probably doesn't eat enough, and this is the reason for the fatigue. Protein shake might be a convenient way to get some quality protein and quality calories, as opposed to filling up on junk, or not eating enough to the point where the body goes in to starvation mode, and starts to atrophy muscle, and actually slow the metabolism, which of course is bad.
I think now its time to balance. Eat properly, with out the junk along with the running. I have also started to eat more fruit and some veggies.
Like I mentioned above, I am doing this to be more healthy overall, to feel better. Now that I have lost the weight my agenda is to keep it off, feel better and................ enjoy.
I do thank you all for the help and suggestions.

sravin1
09-10-2008, 11:00
yes protein shakes are the way to go. most of the time you feel out of energy because of lack of iron in your body. I have protein shake for lunch every day and I dont fell tired at all. I have a very active life style to say the least and it works for me.

have about half a litre of fat free milk with a scoop and a half of whey protein (EAS is what I use and its there for a steal at Sam's club). this should do the trick for you.

Try it and see if it is good for you.. and let us know if it helps

sravin1
09-10-2008, 11:03
forgot to add that milk is the biggest source of iron. have lots of fat free milk and you will start to feel energetic even with your diet.

Joe L
09-11-2008, 06:27
Thanks, yes, Milk is a must for me, have been drinking skim milk for years and its something I can't cut out...