PDA

View Full Version : So how did you get interested in diving?

porsche060
08-13-2007, 17:40
Hearing my friend talked about it sparked my interest in diving. What sparked yours?

RECDiver
08-13-2007, 22:29
Watching the old Sea Hunt TV series in the 60s and Jacque Cousteau TV specials.

Zenagirl
08-14-2007, 05:49
Have wanted the ability to breathe underwater since I was about 6 years old.

liuk3
08-14-2007, 15:49
Discovery dives in Hawaii and Bora Bora.

unclepooty
08-14-2007, 15:52
Snorkeled Chankanaab Park on cruise, wanted more.

ocean_dreamer
08-14-2007, 16:43
snorkeled in cozumel and wanted to be down on the bottom instead of up top.

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
08-14-2007, 17:33
Jaques Cousteau for sure. Then it was the snorkling in Jamaica, Gaum, Austrailia, Barbados, etc etc etc.

I'm just sorry I waited so damn long to get started!!!:smiley13:

Phestr
08-14-2007, 17:50
My father talking about diving the wrecks in Chuuk

uzzell20
08-14-2007, 18:50
friends, i should be mad at them for making me get into and spend all the money on equipment but its such a great time, i enjoy being out on the boat and diving, i dont regret a thing

Xspect
08-14-2007, 20:37
I did it to meet a mermaid. She is nice but smelly out of water.

Seriously I did it after snorkling in Jamaica

namabiru
08-14-2007, 22:07
Well, I had always had a mild interest in diving. But I went to Thailand, and snorkeled for the first time. I rambled on and on so much about what I saw that one of the divers on the boat said 'you know, you should give diving a go, if you liked snorkeling that much.'

So I thought about it, and finally decided to do it. I went to the Philippines and had a blast! The German-Swiss run shop I went to was extremely friendly and fun to hang around. I saw that diving was as much a physical and recreational activity as a social one, and I'm into social non-competitive activities. So I got hooked. And here I am.

ScaredSilly
08-16-2007, 17:05
Needed a PE credit in college - took Scuba, Mtneering, and Badminton. Badminton by far was the hardest - we had to run :D.

medicdiver
08-16-2007, 18:51
Reading about ship wrecks off the east coast and realizing that people go down to see them.

tedtim
08-16-2007, 20:09
We were planning our last big family vacation before our kids got too old to go with us (cheaper to leave them at home). My wife and kids bought me an OW course for my birthday after I mentioned that it might be cool to try it. My wife was not interested until she saw a few photos of the underwater "garden." Now our winter vacations revolve around diving and we do get out in the summer (me more than her).

Wrayne
08-23-2007, 16:00
Went on a weekend trip to Catalina and went out on the little submarine, where we could see the underwater world through the windows. I was taking pictures and exclaiming "I want to be out THERE with the fishies!".. and that's what started it all.

subsur
08-23-2007, 20:18
family friend came back from Bonaire and were so excited that i decided to get certified. now, 2 years later, my wife is getting certified and we're going to our first warm water destination - bonaire

chewyjr15
08-23-2007, 20:21
before my dad passed it was his favorite thing to do so now that im old enough and have time i will be learning next month as kinda a tribute to him and a way to have a connection with him. PLus it sounds fun as hell!!!!

ScubaJenn81
08-24-2007, 07:39
Watching Discovery Channel way too much. Then I was a swim instructor and lifeguard. Figured it was about time to take it to the next step and just stay underwater.

JugglingMonkeys
08-24-2007, 07:45
Grew up in Australia but never took the time to do this.
Did surfing, swimming, snorkeling etc.

Now have taken it up as a way to exercise, get out, do something other than work. And love it!

scubasavvy
08-24-2007, 09:41
My uncle was a diver. When I was on vacation we used to take a boat out to Longpoint Beach on the Cape and he used to teach us how to free dive. After he sent all of us home in the afternoon, he used to go diving for scallops around a wreck. I always thought it was the coolest thing...

comet24
08-24-2007, 18:07
Wanted to ever since I can remember. Finally did it my first year in college and even received credit for it.

Defman
08-24-2007, 22:35
Hearing my friend talked about it sparked my interest in diving. What sparked yours?

Always loved the photos of Truk Lagoon in a National Geographic when I was a kid. Friend decided she wanted to take classes, signed up as her buddy. She never finish and I fell in love..... with diving...

Flatliner
08-24-2007, 22:49
I wanted to do it since high school. Shadow Divers is what finally pushed me over the edge.

Jaymeany
08-24-2007, 22:57
Jaques Cousteau for sure. Then it was the snorkling in Jamaica, Gaum, Austrailia, Barbados, etc etc etc.

I'm just sorry I waited so damn long to get started!!!:smiley13:

Same for me except the snorkeling was in Anguilla and a lake as a lil tike!

porsche060
08-25-2007, 07:41
Wanted to ever since I can remember. Finally did it my first year in college and even received credit for it.

In my college they had horseback riding and ice skating but no diving. I wish

gtjason2000
08-25-2007, 07:48
I bet learning in college is the most expensive way to do it. I think they charge tuition plus money fthat goes to padi for the certification.

CaribbeanDiver
08-25-2007, 09:37
a friend encouraged me to get into it so he would have a dive buddy. but all he can do is occasional (when his wife lets him) trips off the Florida Panhandle. Now that I have seen the incredible beauty of the Bahamas, Roatan, Cozemel, Belize, etc, the Florida Panhandle doesnt cut it for me. I should be angry with him cause now all my hard earned cash goes for dive trips but I enjoy them so much, I just thank him and try to talk him into taking a trip with me sometime.

greyzen
08-25-2007, 10:44
My dad and step-mom are both divers, I'd been begging them since I was 9.

scubasamurai
08-31-2007, 19:55
a friend of mine said " your in florida now so you have to learn how to dive, or learn to dive like an old lady your choice". so i went and got certified within the week, yes week!! warm weather is a good thing

georoc01
08-31-2007, 20:21
For me it was a friend of mine on a cruise that was a diver. When we were signing up for excursions, she told me, you have to try this. So I did a discovery dive in the Grand Caymans.

It was one of the scariest things I had ever done. My instructor was convinced I wouldn't make it. Through sheer determination I made it through it, and that then led me to get certified.

But the people I have met since getting into the sport has kept me in it. Great people these divers..

diverdad
08-31-2007, 21:13
my dad was a navy diver so i would listen to all of his stories and it seemed like it would be great to be able to dive down and see all of the wonders. my only regret is that i was not able to afford it until recently.

BSea
08-31-2007, 21:48
When I was a kid, I remember watching Sea Hunt sitting on my Dad's lap. I was hooked ever since I can remember.

pnevai
08-31-2007, 22:03
I was Hijacked, just read my post Wow What a trip it's been part 1.

plot
09-01-2007, 11:06
didnt know how to swim, having a tank of air strapped to my ass when i jumped in the water seamed logical.

Theepdinker
09-01-2007, 12:51
My first thoughts were the TV shows I remember watching as a kid.
Sea Hunt & Jacques Cousteau can to mind at first.
I think the one that really did it was Flipper.
A couple of kids with a pet dolphin & all kinds of adventures.
Sure beat my boring days.

Theep

Clanggedin
09-27-2007, 14:32
Not until recently have I had such a desire to get certified. I have had opportunities in the past with my in-laws to get certified, but my wife is somewhat hydrophobic and will never get certified. I don't want her to feel like her vacation was wasted or inturrupted because she had to sit on the beach while I was diving.

Recently my Venture scout crew has shown interest in getting certified and it has peaked my interest to the point of obsession. I can't do anything at work because all I want to do is look at diving gear and talk about diving, unfortunately I can't take my OW class until at least Jan.

Now I just sit in the tub in the evenings with my new mask and snorkel and dream about diving.

Charles R
09-27-2007, 14:37
Did a Snuba Dive in Maui and hooked every since

ccarter
09-27-2007, 14:39
Dunno.. I like activities that involve travel, seeing new things, exploration, etc.. guess it fit the bill. I probably wouldn't have really thought about it if my brother hadn't gotten certified first when I was a wee lad.

The real question should be why wouldn't someone be interested in diving?