PDA

View Full Version : Starting my open water classes on Friday

kong
09-09-2008, 22:29
and I can't wait. I wanted to start a few weekends ago after the Discover Scuba Class but this weekend was the earliest I had available. Just sharing with everyone because all my friends are tired of me talking about it.

jwdizney
09-09-2008, 22:31
we understand! gotta be excited! have fun!:smiley20:

then you can come back here and tell us all about it!

Warren
09-09-2008, 22:40
That's great!

Have fun, but take the training seriously so you have a good core foundation! :smiley20:

kong
09-09-2008, 22:44
Will do. I've watched the DVDs a few times and read through the book until I had an understanding of the concepts.

The Discover Scuba was actually more involved then I thought it would be. I thought I was just going to get dropped into the pool after a 5 minute session but they showed us how to clear our mask, share air, establish buoyancy, and a few other things it looks like they cover in the first few classes. It will be nice going into class with some practical experience instead of just book work.

mm_dm
09-10-2008, 08:34
You are about to embark on the adventure of a lifetime. Breathe in, breate out:smiley20:

scubadiver888
09-10-2008, 08:45
and I can't wait. I wanted to start a few weekends ago after the Discover Scuba Class but this weekend was the earliest I had available. Just sharing with everyone because all my friends are tired of me talking about it.

:)

I've found three places to talk about my love for scuba (without seeing eyes glaze over):

1) here
2) scuba buddies
3) the local dive shop (were I make new scuba buddies)

Be careful, if you hang out the the LDS too much they'll put you to work. A new scuba buddy (met him at the LDS) now does tank fills and handles rental gear.

Good luck on your classes and have fun!

Vercingetorix
09-10-2008, 10:05
The Discover Scuba was actually more involved then I thought it would be. I thought I was just going to get dropped into the pool after a 5 minute session but they showed us how to clear our mask, share air, establish buoyancy, and a few other things it looks like they cover in the first few classes.Yep...far more involved than my Discover Scuba. Just the instructor and me. I showed my basic hand signals (up, down, OK); then we swam around until my air ran out. He specifically stated that I would not learn any skills until OW class.

Have fun in class. Relax and enjoy. Just...don't drown. It looks bad for the instructor, and he/she won't get paid for instructing you.

kong
09-10-2008, 10:20
[quote=kong;226480]

Have fun in class. Relax and enjoy. Just...don't drown. It looks bad for the instructor, and he/she won't get paid for instructing you.

I thought that is why I had to pay in advance?

kong
09-24-2008, 21:51
Just an update...Finished classes last week and did my checkout dives this past weekend. The quarry was nice. About 75 degrees on the surface and 65 at the thermocline with about 15 feet of visibility. I am going to use this weekend to get caught up on a few papers that are due soon and can hopefully go diving again next weekend.

SlvrDragon50
09-24-2008, 22:07
Woah.. chilly

FL diving :)

kong
09-24-2008, 22:12
We had 5 mils on so it wasn't too bad. Another group went to the bottom and said it was 54 degrees after the second thermocline. It was at 75 ft so I didn't get a chance to head down to it.