PDA

View Full Version : An Odd Question I think

William Fry
09-10-2008, 15:05
Hi all I am new here and to Diving. My question is this I travel a lot 1000 - 1500 miles a week. How long do I need to wait if any after diving before driving. I go over 7 passes the highest one being 5500 feet?

SlvrDragon50
09-10-2008, 15:21
o.O That is an odd question..

I honestly dont think it should matter all too much if your diving is within the same altitude...

If you want to be absolutely safe, wait the standard 24 hours, but AFAIK, I don't think there are any proven side effects to diving after high altitudes..

I would think you learn this stuff in your dive class since you are in a high altitude area.

William Fry
09-10-2008, 15:36
I should have added that I will be diving at sea level.

FishFood
09-10-2008, 15:52
If you are driving to the high altitude (5k ft) within 24 hours, the standard operating producure is to plan your dive as if you were already at the given altitude.

This really doesn't matter if you dont come close to your NDLs. But if you do plan to, take a look at this chart:

Altitude Dive Table (http://www.utahdiving.com/divetabl.htm)

EDIT:

Also, depending on your computer, you may be able to set it for the given altitude.

wgt
09-10-2008, 15:54
The general rules for driving to altitude after diving at sea level are the same as for flying after diving (bearing in mind that ascent rates are greater on aircraft than on the road). Flying to 2500 ft (e.g., on an island-hopper) is typically considered acceptable, even shortly after diving. As such, driving to this altitude would also be considered as acceptable. However, if the drive is to take you higher than 2500 ft (which seems to be what you are suggesting), then you should carefully consider the risks. Good sense would dictate either waiting 24 hours after diving or breathing oxygen between the dive and the drive (a reasonable protocol for the latter approach can be worked out).

Personally, I would not likely let a need to drive to altitude get in the way of my diving, and I would happily off-gas on oxygen to accomodate my travel plans. However, you may not have the resources available for such a maneuver, so you must balance the pleasure versus the risks. In the absence of a way to accelerate off-gassing, I would be very reluctant to drive to altitude without an adequate surface interval (generally considered to be 24 hrs by most but not all authorities).

Warren
09-10-2008, 16:45
I dive with a friend that comes down from Big Bear. Almost 8000 feet.

Setting your computer for a higher altitude causes it to be more conservative and will help you to stay away from max NDL's if you are one to push it, or if you're a little older and don't want to take any chances at all.

Stay away from those limits and you don't have to worry about a no-fly issue.

If you do get into a no-fly scenario, a drive to 5000 feet would be pushing it in my opinion.

Damselfish
09-10-2008, 16:55
it's not really an odd question, but should have been covered in class. But they might not have made it clear that driving to altitude isn't all that much different then flying to altitude. Most commercial jets, which is the most common example talked about, are pressurized to 8000ft, and you're talking similar altitude.

The recommendation is not really a flat 24 hours, it depends some on your profiles. Here are DANs guidelines - DAN Divers Alert Network (http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/faq/faq.aspx?faqid=54)

William Fry
09-10-2008, 20:04
Thanks for the help. I will just make sure I don't dive the afternoon before I drive. Just to be on the safe side.

ianr33
09-10-2008, 22:16
What sort of dives are you planning on doing? If you are looking at diving to,say,50 feet on an Al 80 driving to altitude is probably a non issue. You could use nitrox for a large safety cushion.

If you plan on doing deep deco dives then driving to altitude is probably not the best idea.

William Fry
09-11-2008, 14:34
The Deepest I will be diving is 80feet. But I am trying to stay around 60feet. Just depends on the time of day really.