PDA

View Full Version : Machias, ME

BusDiver
08-13-2007, 18:37
Hey all,

I live in Michigan but spend a lot of time up in Machias. Any suggestions on diving in that area? I am looking for charters or experienced divers in that region. I can dive right off my property but there are lot of lobster pots and an intense tide (current I am used to, the tidal shift, not so much). Any info. will be appreciated.

Darth Fishhead
08-13-2007, 20:33
Wooo! that's away's up theyah! I am sure that there's diving in that neck of the woods, but I haven't heard many people talking about diving much north of Portland. There's always Nubble Light in York for shore diving.

texdiveguy
08-13-2007, 20:42
Hey all,

I live in Michigan but spend a lot of time up in Machias. Any suggestions on diving in that area? I am looking for charters or experienced divers in that region. I can dive right off my property but there are lot of lobster pots and an intense tide (current I am used to, the tidal shift, not so much). Any info. will be appreciated.

That would be some true Down East diving!! I would imagine there are some good off shore and shore spots...not to mention fresh water holes.

???-- Kissing Fish Dive Shack
161 Main St.
Calais, ME 04619
207-454-7440

BusDiver
08-13-2007, 20:49
I have a few friends in the area (none dive and few of them swim--the lobstah guys think it is pointless--to learn how to swim at least) who I will ask to put me in contact with commercial guys in the area. I know the salmon pens are constantly being maintained by divers and years ago I had the opportunity to talk to one. He was telling me that when they fed the salmon it was like ringing a dinner bell to the rest of the Gulf of Maine.

I have been told on another board (that seems to be constantly having server issues) to check out diving in Eastport. I still hope someone on this board will have some rec/sport tips.

texdiveguy
08-13-2007, 20:50
I have a few friends in the area (none dive and few of them swim--the lobstah guys think it is pointless--to learn how to swim at least) who I will ask to put me in contact with commercial guys in the area. I know the salmon pens are constantly being maintained by divers and years ago I had the opportunity to talk to one. He was telling me that when they fed the salmon it was like ringing a dinner bell to the rest of the Gulf of Maine.

I have been told on another board (that seems to be constantly having server issues) to check out diving in Eastport. I still hope someone on this board will have some rec/sport tips.

Thats about as far east as one can get in the USA--Eastport, Maine ..... lol

BusDiver
08-13-2007, 21:17
For those interested, I found a link on another board. Check out www.cmmd.org.