PDA

View Full Version : Critique my package selection please

Darmok
09-11-2008, 15:03
Hey there, I'm looking into buying my first set of gear. I want something very functional that I can easily take to quick trips to Cozumel but would allow me to do colder waters if needed.

1.- BCD:
- Mares ICON or
- Zeagle Brigade

2.- Reg:
- Aeris ION

3.- Octo:
- Aeris A1 (it looks like it comes free with the ION).

4.- Computer:
- Aeris ATMOS AI - compass and quick disconnect

5.- Lights:
- Princeton Tec LED Miniwave
- UK mini Q40 eLed plus (backup)
- Glowstick if needed.

6.- Knife:
- Wenoka/Deep See Ti Squeeze knife
- EMS Shears

7.- Wetsuit:
- Bare Brigade Full Mens 3/2 Wetsuit or
- Henderson Thermoprene 5mm Full Suit

8.- Misc:
- Slate (no idea which one)
- SMB (no idea which one, I kind of like DAN's)

9.- Bag:
- Akona Roller Bag

I don't want to add this up :-)

What do you guys think? I especially need help with the BCD... I have never tried on the Brigade. How does it compare to the Icon in weight and easy to pack?

Thanks!

MSilvia
09-11-2008, 15:08
I'm totally unfamiliar with the Aeris gear, but the selections look pretty solid otherwise. I'd be inclined to go with the Brigade, which consistantly gets rave reviews.

freeski4ever
09-11-2008, 16:08
The Brigade is a great BC, and is a ScubaToys special. It was designed specifically for ST, and is probably the most popular BC they sell.

Sansho
09-11-2008, 16:41
If you haven't already, take a look at the Scubalab tests at Scuba Diving Magazine - Gear (http://scubadiving.com/gear/) .

One comment on the wetsuit ... if you get a 3/2 for Cozumel, you won't use it in colder waters. A 5mm suit is good, depending on your internal cold sensitivity, from the low 60's (with hood and gloves) to shy of 80 (without hood/gloves). You could add a hooded 5mm vest to a 3/2, which would extend it's temperature range.

I have the DAN SMB and recommend it. ST has the best price I've seen for it.

Darmok
09-11-2008, 23:53
If you haven't already, take a look at the Scubalab tests at Scuba Diving Magazine - Gear (http://scubadiving.com/gear/) .

One comment on the wetsuit ... if you get a 3/2 for Cozumel, you won't use it in colder waters. A 5mm suit is good, depending on your internal cold sensitivity, from the low 60's (with hood and gloves) to shy of 80 (without hood/gloves). You could add a hooded 5mm vest to a 3/2, which would extend it's temperature range.

I have the DAN SMB and recommend it. ST has the best price I've seen for it.

Thanks for the wetsuit recommendation, I think you're right, that makes senses.

tomich
10-05-2008, 09:00
I think the Mares MR12 and Abyss reg deal is one of the best of the century.

kroorda
12-05-2008, 15:38
Darmok,
If you would like to have your 'package' reviewed, I would suggest that you leave that to your wife/girlfriend to do.