PDA

View Full Version : non-Scuba activities

namabiru
08-13-2007, 20:29
So what non-Scuba activities do people do to keep in shape and/or enjoy life?

I'm into martial arts. I practice kendo and iaido, and I will probably have to pick up another art when I move to Qatar.

thesmoothdome
08-13-2007, 20:34
20 years ago I studied an Okinowan form called Wado Kai. Way too old and beat up for full contact stuff anymore though. Now, it's quiet stuff. Mt. biking, jogging, skiing, diving, golf. I'd like to start doing brazillian jui jitsu, but doubt my body will hold up through it.

WV Diver
08-13-2007, 20:55
I like to mix it up. Raquetball, running, lap swims, biking, volleyball.

ParrotHead
08-13-2007, 21:45
I've dusted off our Nordic Track (skier) - it does a great job on getting my kicking muscles back in shape. And the cardio isn't bad either. 30+ minutes every other day.

techgnostic
08-14-2007, 00:56
Boxing, skiing, climbing, kayaking, hiking, racquetball, darts, volleyball, whatever sport...I love them all.

namabiru
08-14-2007, 10:51
I wish I could jog, but I wrecked my knees playing volleyball in high school. The impact just kills me, even with good shoes. I have found, though, that I really like the elliptical machine. I can do pseudo-running without the stress on my knees. Unfortunately, there's no elliptical around here...

Osprey
08-14-2007, 14:35
My knees got goofed up when I was in 6th grade (I jumped off of a very tall wall, when I hit the ground my knees sucked up all the impact cause my dumb@$$ didn't roll), so I enjoy just kicking around in a pool. I also enjoy yoga, and weight lifting (or using gym bikes if it's a lazy day)

fire diver
08-14-2007, 15:21

I'm into martial arts. I practice kendo and iaido, and I will probably have to pick up another art when I move to Qatar.

Why not just keep practicing what you know, and try to take it to the mastery level? I could spend a lifetime practicing the first kata, and never master it.

FD

torrey
08-14-2007, 15:43
The way my grass grows, I stay in shape by mowing 3 times a week. Okay, I'm exagerating a little, but it's still almost every week.

I've dusted off our Nordic Track (skier) - it does a great job on getting my kicking muscles back in shape. And the cardio isn't bad either. 30+ minutes every other day.

My wife and I just moved our treadmill from one bedroom to another, and it had so much dust on it, I had to take the vacuum cleaner to it...a duster wasn't going to cut that much dust. Now if I can just get myself to use it more often.

J-Cub
08-14-2007, 16:31
I've been swimming laps lately.... my friend wants me to do a Triathlon with him, so I'm sort of training. I also tried yoga recently and thought it was pretty cool. Other than that, I like to keep up on my basketball skills before they diminish.

uzzell20
08-14-2007, 19:13
anything to get the heart pumping, cardiovascular activity is key, it will help with many aspects of diving

namabiru
08-14-2007, 21:26
Why not just keep practicing what you know, and try to take it to the mastery level? I could spend a lifetime practicing the first kata, and never master it.

FD

Mmm! That's a good question. The reason I might have to pick up another art is because I currently can't find a kendo or iaido dojo in Doha. Yeah, I know, I can always try to start one. But that may take a while to get going, and it may be easier to connect with people who might be interested by joining another group and then promoting kendo/iaido.

You're sure right about that--you can spend a lifetime on just one kata. Iaido I can still practice alone, but kendo is a bit more difficult. I can work on footwork and solo things, but it's obviously a bit hard to have keiko with just one person.

TxScubaBear
08-15-2007, 07:14
I "couch press" my 3 grand-daughters......

:wave2:

deepdiver47
08-15-2007, 07:18
good one man.....don't think you work up a sweat with that one.

I love the bike at 5 am

TxScubaBear
08-15-2007, 07:29
Nah, not really, this past weekend they were visiting for about 3 hours, seemed like 10 minutes, just can never seem to get enough time with them. I told my son, dad of the twin grand daughters, they are our future divers.....my future dive buddies.....I get that "funny look"....

lucidblue
08-15-2007, 18:52
Weight lifting, cardio, skiing, tennis, mountain biking and a hike every once in awhile.

NitroWill
08-15-2007, 19:07
Swimming is my main form of exercise..
Ill play some beach volleyball and basketball or throw a football when there are some others around!

namabiru
08-15-2007, 20:49
Yeah, I forgot about swimming. Way back this Spring, when I was at the university, I thought maybe I'd be doing some DM training later on. So I started training a bit for the swimming portion. I'm not such a good swimmer, so this was bit more than it sounds. Anyway, I left the university, but will have access to the Education City fitness complex, so plan to begin swimming again.

Rockhound76
08-16-2007, 08:19
road cycling, weight lifting, swimming (I am really slow...my kids say I swim like a goof...but I can swim forever.)....sailing --we have a little Catalina 22 set up for racing, which can be a workout...but we mainly daysail. Hiking and backpacking, since I have scout in the family; kayaking, which we just started doing together.

non-physical or leisure stuff: We have a travel trailer and take it out 5-8 times a year. I love aircraft and flying, but don't have a license. I took lessons in college, but ran out of money. Now I have money, but no time. I've tried powered parachutes and loved them, but after a few months and the death of a couple of fliers we knew, my wife grounded me. I'll start that again when the kids are older.

ScubaJenn81
08-20-2007, 07:18
I used to swim a lot, but then again I was working at a pool, now I work at a gym, so I have no excuses not work out 5 times a week. I bike, use the elliptical and lift weights. I have to force myself to do it some days though. It is so much easier just to sit at my desk and post on things like this.

fire diver
08-20-2007, 08:02
You know........if you own your own gear, it's a home gym. I am sore as could be right now. Spending 2 days carrying 70 pounds of tanks up and down hills, carrying gear bags up and down, etc, etc. My back and legs are really letting me know exactly what I did. But it's the "good" kinda hurt.

FD

namabiru
08-20-2007, 10:53
Heh. It sounds like when I used to work for the moving company back when I was in undergrad. You really got into shape there. I wasn't always physically moving stuff, but even packing is a physical activity. You're moving quickly, lifting things, bending over, shlupping 50# bundles of paper, bundles of boxes, stacking boxes, etc. etc.

Truth be told, I miss working for the moving company. Libraries can be conductive to exercise too, if you're walking around a lot helping patrons, carrying materials, etc., but not quite the same.

Zamfir
08-20-2007, 14:49
Primarily climbing, both indoors and out -- usually 3 days/nights a week. I do a little road biking during the year, and short hikes with friends in the area.

My vacations used to be entirely climbing related, for the past 3 years, I've been alternating diving and climbing. Not sure what the trend will be in the future.

Damnam
08-22-2007, 07:08
Wakeboarding, climbing, caving, sailing, jungle trekking, kayaking, just about anything outdoors :D

Damnam

JugglingMonkeys
08-22-2007, 07:27
um... I work...

actually that's why i took up diving.
To do something physical.

Subaqua
08-23-2007, 18:03
Jogging, biking, walking, anything that improves cardio, walking, etc.

RECDiver
08-23-2007, 23:58
Walk, swim and lift weights.

chewyjr15
08-24-2007, 00:07
i have a small gym at home because i still live with my parents and i have a junior olympic pool in my backyard. So i swim laps and walk on the treadmill(i hate running) and do weight lifting and streangth traning and i am still a bit fat but hey i like it!

TAH 73
08-24-2007, 07:38
I figured alot of the sports and activities mentioned would tend to swing towards the "exterme side"
Myself in the winter all I have time to do is ski, but I did snowboard for couple of days last season.
Inn the summer Scuba, obviously, alot of water sports, Waterski, tubing, and kneeboarding, and just spending time at the beach. A couple of years ago I got involved with competitive sailing, first I crewed on a larger boat, but have graduated to my own boat and now split time between sailing a Laser 2 and a Hobie 16 that I just started with really this year.
When I don't feel like getting my feet wet I either get out on the mtn bike, golf, go climbing, or camping. Needless to say weekends and leisure time is pretty booked up.

savannahbell
08-28-2007, 19:41
Does chasing your 5 yeard old son count? Other than that I have my own boxing bag in the shed, I need to work with it more than I have the last month. So thats my goal to get back out there and take a swing at.

scuba Widow
09-01-2007, 22:20
I get a lot of exercise at work so when I get home I really just want to sit and relax. But when I do try to exercise I like to bowl, putt putt golf for the walking alone. I also like to walk around the flea markets around here for some extra exercise.

ohscubagrrl
09-06-2007, 10:24
Skiing in the winter. Hiking, biking, and runnning in the summer.

thesmoothdome
09-06-2007, 22:44
Does chasing your 5 yeard old son count? Other than that I have my own boxing bag in the shed, I need to work with it more than I have the last month. So thats my goal to get back out there and take a swing at.

I bet owning you're own 5 year old can be tiring :). I chase 2200 kids over a large high school campus each day and while that can be rough, chasing a 5 year old would be worse. I went for my normal 4 mile run the other night. Made it to my turn around point and walked back. My feet were KILLING me from chasing kids all day while wearing dress shoes. Sigh...why can't summer last forever?

debbieb
09-07-2007, 08:46
I do walking daily and also a little jogging mixed in with it to shake things up. Cardio video workout about twice a week, sometimes 3 if I can remember. Crunchies for the abs twice a day

reefgirl64
09-07-2007, 23:59
Fortunately, I always loved swimming, even before taking up Scuba. So... it's lot of swimming for me, walking, a little bit of weight training, healthy eating, and drink nothing but water. :)

divechaplain-sara
09-08-2007, 01:24
I've got to get back on the fitness bandwagon. A couple of years ago I was real active then had a schedule change and was on a medication that pretty much knocked me out (I could sleep 12-14 hours a day everyday) and my exercise plan went to squat. Before that I was training for a triathlon and was swimming, biking, running each 3 days a week along with weight lifting and ball room or salsa dancing twice a week. I have got to get back to those things. I enjoy them all and my dive gear fit better.

scubasteven45
09-08-2007, 01:54
I like to do the gym, golf and the wife. Nasty minded people :) I meant going shopping and walking for hours upon hours, yeah that's what I meant. LOL Seriously though gym and golf.

YellowfinKunkfish
09-08-2007, 13:52
I'm on the treadmill everyday. 30 minutes on weekdays, and an hour on Saturday and Sunday. We try to go to the pool and swim a lot, since we bought a season pass. Lately I've been doing a lot of projects in the yard. Getting ready to mow later this afternoon, and work on the patio after that!

Charles R
09-08-2007, 15:00
Swim, Mnt Bike, Wake board I am thinking of some forum of martial arts would be a good stress relief

Scubablue2
09-10-2007, 01:32
A little Yoga, a little walking in the park with my daughter, not enough though...

kingfish
09-10-2007, 02:11
Swim, golf, bowl and bushwalk occationally.

Jas.

zahgurim
09-10-2007, 09:03
Mountainbiking year round, swimming, hiking, snowboarding in the winter.

Tableleg
09-12-2007, 11:58
Trying to reach my goal:

Swim non-stop, 500 yds. 14 MIN
REST 10 MIN
Perform 42 push-ups. <2 MIN
REST 2 MIN
Perform 50 sit-ups <2 MIN
REST 2 MIN
Perform 6 pull-ups no time limit.
REST 10 MIN
Run 1.5 miles 12 MIN 45 SEC

And it's been taking a bunch of my time lately... :smiley29: Between that and Aikido, I've been limping most places.

Bonus points for anyone who knows what this entry exam is for. :smiley2:

coralcrazed
09-13-2007, 13:51

keep in shape and enjoy... hmnnn there is only one thing that comes to mind as an excersize :smiley2: I think I'm gonna catch up on my routine now :smilie39:

rubberduck
09-13-2007, 14:03
My soon-to-be 1 year old daughter. Planning her party now. Looks like Dad is going to have to dress up in an ELMO costume as that appears to be her current favorite.

Bill22
09-13-2007, 20:02
I wish I could jog, but I wrecked my knees playing volleyball in high school. The impact just kills me, even with good shoes. I have found, though, that I really like the elliptical machine. I can do pseudo-running without the stress on my knees. Unfortunately, there's no elliptical around here...

Elliptical is what I use also... my knees are wrecked to ;-) I also swim. I weight train off and on. I also find myself running through the occasional kata. I studied Kyokushin-kai Karate for a long time. I'm to old for that full-contact stuff too :-))

meesier42
09-14-2007, 07:41
cycling (both road and mtn), rock climbing, running, hunting, playing with the dog. Just about anything that I can do to keep my heart rate up.

divingyogini
09-14-2007, 10:03

In no particular order

yoga
swimming
bicycling
backpacking/hiking
tango dance
belly dance

Bring the Payne
09-16-2007, 20:17
Golf, bowling, swimming, snow skiing....too bad none of those require much effort except swimming.

diverdad
09-16-2007, 20:57
I use to work out every night but then i had kids that has taken up most of my time. So what do i do for exercise i have 3 kids and a swimming pool.

jo8243
09-17-2007, 17:16
Cycling gets my vote.

dondi518
09-18-2007, 03:32
I play Golf whenever we don't SCUBA on weekends

ccarter
09-18-2007, 10:21
http://www.ride424.com :smiley20:

BobArnold8265
09-18-2007, 10:36
Running (or eliptical runner on bad days), volleyball and hiking are the main ways that I stay in shape. I think being in good shape really adds to my diving experience. I often find that my endurance allows me to complete more dives per day than many of my friends. I don't get nearly as fatigued as they seem to. Plus it nice to be in shape so you can explore on land between dives. Dominica and Saba won't have been nearly as much fun with out hiking !!!

divingyogini
09-20-2007, 10:27
Running (or eliptical runner on bad days), volleyball and hiking are the main ways that I stay in shape. I think being in good shape really adds to my diving experience. I often find that my endurance allows me to complete more dives per day than many of my friends. I don't get nearly as fatigued as they seem to. Plus it nice to be in shape so you can explore on land between dives. Dominica and Saba won't have been nearly as much fun with out hiking !!!

Do you have your certificate saying that you have climbed to the highest spot in the Kingdom of the Netherlands?

DZorn00
09-21-2007, 21:17
The pool always does the best for me, I am a little over weight and all the running is a little rough on the body.:smilie39::smilie40:

johnbaggs
09-21-2007, 21:23
Seriously, Bad mitten is a great endurance exercise

cyclone
09-24-2007, 00:05
Hmmm...Cycling, mountain hiking, rock climbing, mountain climbing, motorcycle racing, lifting weights, freestyle fighting, target shooting, gymnastics, and soon Scuba diving...

namabiru
09-27-2007, 21:31
Yeah, now that I've gotten to Doha, I'm looking forward to checking out the rec. center at Education City. I was told that faculty, staff, and students all have access privilege with their institution ID cards. The joint has a 50-meter lap pool, basketball courts, badmitton courts, women-only court and women-only times each day for the fitness stuff (I'm in a Muslim country).

Then again, on the second floor of my building, I have a nice fitness room too. Free and pulley weights and more machines than either college campus I spent time on had. Plus a small pool.

caroln
09-28-2007, 10:03
I love biking, hiking (geocaching), and snowboarding in the winter. I am considering selling my snowboard gear though since if I'm making a trip to do anything, I'd rather go diving. For fitness, I love pilates because it makes you strong, flexible, and it's excellent for breathing control. Perfect for scuba.

torrey
09-28-2007, 12:32
Seriously, Bad mitten is a great endurance exercise

You're not kidding! I took a tennis course back in college and on rainy days we stayed in the gym and played badminton. If you play with a real feathered shuttlecock instead of the crappy rubber & plastic ones, it can get really intense as no matter how hard you hit it the wind resistance won't let it go too far. I swear that was a tougher workout than just about any other sport I've played.

DUnder
09-28-2007, 13:45
I like to hunt, fish, camp, enjoy watching hockey. Never knew how out of shape I was till I tried to follow my wife around a 1000 both craft show:smiley36:

vel525
09-28-2007, 15:07
Trying to reach my goal:

Swim non-stop, 500 yds. 14 MIN
REST 10 MIN
Perform 42 push-ups. <2 MIN
REST 2 MIN
Perform 50 sit-ups <2 MIN
REST 2 MIN
Perform 6 pull-ups no time limit.
REST 10 MIN
Run 1.5 miles 12 MIN 45 SEC

And it's been taking a bunch of my time lately... :smiley29: Between that and Aikido, I've been limping most places.

BUD/S training?

Ash0r
10-06-2007, 18:02
I have been studying martial arts for a number of years. I currently train in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu often and mma occasionally.

:fight:

rach
10-28-2007, 23:22
here there are no martial arts classes or spinning bikes...gotta' stick to running outside, hiking to the waterfalls, and swimming in the caribbean every morning!

Charlotte Smith
10-28-2007, 23:31
we hunt and spend the rest of the time with the cattle farm that is currently working my A__ off. STILL have one more field to cut for hay and its nearly November......

lovesmexico615
11-02-2007, 18:12
Bikram Yoga and running. I'll do a bit of free-weights mixed in there as well.

unclepooty
11-02-2007, 19:44
Walk the driveway (1mile) and back most evenings with wife and dogs. Probably does more for soul than body.

mitsuguy
11-02-2007, 21:53
about all I do is swim... as long as I can.... all strokes - crawl, sidestroke, butterfly, breast, back... have found it is about the best workout you can get...

Stephan
11-10-2007, 06:21
I try to keep me fit by swimming, jogging and riding my bike (in munich)

cheers
stephan

Tableleg
11-10-2007, 12:23

BUD/S training?
Close. :smiley2:

It's the Navy Diver PST. BUDS/S is about 1.5 min. faster on the swim and the run. :smiley29:

teog
12-12-2007, 21:20
I tend to weight lift, run, raquet ball, biking, and roller blading. Ill jump on the elipticle at the gym once a week too.

adv_diver1
12-12-2007, 21:22
I walk, keep up with the kids and do alot of leg exercises and at least 25 pushups per day.

25 per day, usually at one time, or you have to give it all up.

Marcus
04-03-2008, 07:38
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Fantastic workout for your entire body. Lost weight, great cardio. Not an easy martial art. Very technical, but excellent nonetheless.

mselizann
04-03-2008, 08:00
I walk on a treadmill and do an elliptical at the gym.

mentalmarine
04-03-2008, 08:02
Study...study, study, study, dive, study, dive, study, study

Dive Rong
04-03-2008, 13:49
Hapkido
Taekwondo
...and I just started inline skating with the hopes of getting into freestyle slalom

RoyN
04-03-2008, 16:01
I'm into trying to flatten my stomach and build muscles. Not to be a show off kid, but to be healthy.

divergirl
04-03-2008, 20:26
I go running/walk/jogging for about 7 kms 4 times a week and I try and use the weight machine 3 times a week

aaaand jane fonda workout tape lol

Splitlip
04-03-2008, 21:03
Surf (ain't pretty), bike, inline skate and ski if I can get out of town. Have a friend that gets me on a top foo foo golf course off season. So summer time, I might play a little. Have some garage sale clubs.
Oh, and swim too.

fishballer
04-18-2008, 20:45
bikram yoga, running, heavy bag boxing.

used to play a lot more sports (basketball, badminton, etc), but as i get older, the interest just isn't there anymore.

Dieseler
04-21-2008, 09:38
Weight lifting, running, elliptical several times a week for the most part.

I tend to walk alot also, I avg walking 5mi a day with my job and outside of work I walk to most places rather than drive.

Been getting into Jiu-Jitsu also, and man that's a workout!

harb99
04-21-2008, 10:10
just started going to the gym again - cardio and a few weights to try to get back into better shape

mselizann
04-21-2008, 10:21
I do a lot of cardio, 7-12 hours per week. Plus- just started a yoga class -which I love!

beperkins
10-16-2008, 12:57
Hiking, jogging, and ATV riding. (I know that is considered a lazy sport, but try riding hard and not breaking a sweat!!)

hychang
11-06-2008, 13:23
I lift weights at my local gym and do cardio on an elliptical. Need to get back into jogging to drop weight in mid-section. Putting the fork down and pushing away from the table wouldn't hurt as well!

teerlkay
11-24-2008, 09:47
During the work week I come home and workout on the NordicTrac and Bowflex - two machine I couldn't live without now.

I use to mountain bike 10+ miles on the weekends but since moving to Mexico City I have not found an ideal place to do it yet.

ektess1
12-22-2008, 20:40
Vigorous sex burns alot of calories. I try to do it as many times a day as possible.

kjvander
12-23-2008, 08:40
Swimming, running, rowing, biking, and lifting weights....need to do more of it...but i guess i'll have to wait to kick it up till after the holidays..

Lulubelle
12-23-2008, 09:34
Lots of hiking, some walking, kickboxing, biking, cave-man style strength training (full body movements).

BarbadosSlim93
12-23-2008, 14:43
Hockey, Hunting, Beer Drinking, Video Games, Movie Watching (and Reviewing). I used to box, but gave that up after a concussion and a boxer's fracture. Now that I'm married I have gotten away from the weight lifting I used to do, but I can't exactly figure out why.

tndiverdude
12-28-2008, 11:43
We have been looking at the Bowflex. It will cost the same as the " free" community center that charges an access fee of 6 dollars a day.
My wife has been working out to videos.
I haven't had time with the overwork to do anything except get four hours sleep then I am back out again.
It would be nice to have some equipment though at the house that we could use to make us stronger.

jimmy

fanatique
02-09-2009, 12:24
Some weight lifting, basketball, and the occasional game of racquetball although I usually get my ass handed to me by my mates. Diving is still pretty new to me.

emt
02-09-2009, 22:59
Diving scuba & free along with spearfishing/lobstering, nautic track exercise, a little weights/pushups, racquetball, snowskiiing, snowboarding, unicycling, windsurfing, apiary, gardening, repairing things, camping, internet reading, google searching, watching kids, getting old.

coloradopomi
04-16-2009, 12:28
I wrecked my knees when I was in the military so I can't do extended high impact work. I tend to stick with the gym working the weight machines and the low impact aerobic stuff like elipticals and bikes. Aside from that I hike, woodwork, and have recently taken up target shooting and will be trying my hand and three gun competition (pistol, rifle, shotgun) this summer. Now that the kids are out of the house I can branch out a bit. I'm intrigued about the powered parachutes mentioned earlier in the string.