PDA

View Full Version : Ok, sittin here with my mask half-full with water and its still foggin?

Ladyvalea
09-12-2008, 01:01
I'm sittin here in front of the computer with my mask on.. I poured a bottle of Dejablue water so it fills near the bottom of my eyes.
Now I know my nose is under the water, but the rest of my mask that is not in water is starting to fog up!

Is this normal? I cleaned my mask and put the defog on it.. oh well..
tee-hee, water is leakin down my chin and onto my tank top!!:smiley29:

lemon lime
09-12-2008, 01:05
Haha, I think you need to actually have the mask on underwater to test if you defog works. :smiley2:

Edit: Oops, looks like don't know what the hell I'm talking about on this one. Sorry.

Gombessa
09-12-2008, 01:28
When you first got your mask, did you do the toothpaste rub on it?

Quero
09-12-2008, 02:01
I'm sittin here in front of the computer with my mask on.. I poured a bottle of Dejablue water so it fills near the bottom of my eyes.
Now I know my nose is under the water, but the rest of my mask that is not in water is starting to fog up!

Are you in an air conditioned room? If there is a significant temperature differential and enough humidity in the air, the "warm" side of glass will simply fog.

Just like breathing on your eyeglasses to produce moisture to clean them.
Or like the fogged up mirror in your bathroom after you take a shower.
Or your car windshield when you've got the air conditioner on and have to use the wipers to see out.

Okay, a scuba example: if I've got a fogging issue underwater and I fill the mask to wash it out and then clear, often the warm humidity of my breath on the inside of the mask just fogs it back up again.

So you're in Texas in summer, therefore I assume you're in an air-conditioned room where the air temperature is lower than the temperature of the air inside your mask, which gets warmed through your body heat.

Ladyvalea
09-12-2008, 02:40
thanks! I did clean with toothpaste and seabuff!!

yes, it is a little humid today, and the ceiling fan is a blowin!
but all the water leaked out on my shirt..

CFDAlden
09-15-2008, 02:14
I had to do the toothpaste scrub 3 or 4 times to get all the residue off. My wifes mask cleaned in 2. Maybe a bit more scrubbing is needed?

obrules15
09-15-2008, 22:41

I would really recommend getting into a body of water with the mask and regulator to know what is really going on but you might just need a new mask. You should try out tons you might have a face shape that is hard to fit. There are midsize masks and I find that different mask types work well for different people.

freeski4ever
09-15-2008, 22:59
I'm sittin here in front of the computer with my mask on.. I poured a bottle of Dejablue water so it fills near the bottom of my eyes....

Is this normal?

No, this is not normal. Most people test their mask with Aquafina or Ozarka bottled water to see if it fogs up. Try another brand, and see if it still fogs.

UCFKnightDiver
09-15-2008, 23:28
also try your spit to see if that works a little better than the defog does my spit usually does oh and it sounds a lil weird but I find if I acctually lick the mask rather than spit in it and rub it around w/ my finger it works a lil better dont know if some of the oils on your skin make it for or anything like that but hey it works for me.

MDDIVER
09-15-2008, 23:32
I just got a new mask a few months ago. I cleaned it a few times with tooth paste and a little over the counter defog I went diving. This dive (at a great location) Sucked. Ever two mins or so I was flooding and clearing my mask. Now it had been 3 years since my last dive so it was good practice but if sure did kill this dive. I went home cleaned it some more even tried a few tricks people stated were good ideas like taking a lighter and using soft scrub to the mask. I wen to another dive site and jumped right in foged right up. This dive however was not a waste because clear or not clear I could not see the hand in front of my face. I then made a vist back to the local dive shop that I got the mask from and had a little talk with the onwer about this mask. He gave me this 500 PSI (I think thats the name). I decided before the next dive I would have to but it to the test. I ran over to my parents pool jumped in after using the defog (following the directions) and no fog. My next dive was back at the first location and boy when you have 50+ foot of viz and no foging you dive is a lot better. Find it and give it a try.

Ladyvalea
09-20-2008, 02:55
I just got a new mask a few months ago. I cleaned it a few times with tooth paste and a little over the counter defog I went diving. This dive (at a great location) Sucked. Ever two mins or so I was flooding and clearing my mask. Now it had been 3 years since my last dive so it was good practice but if sure did kill this dive. I went home cleaned it some more even tried a few tricks people stated were good ideas like taking a lighter and using soft scrub to the mask. I wen to another dive site and jumped right in foged right up. This dive however was not a waste because clear or not clear I could not see the hand in front of my face. I then made a vist back to the local dive shop that I got the mask from and had a little talk with the onwer about this mask. He gave me this 500 PSI (I think thats the name). I decided before the next dive I would have to but it to the test. I ran over to my parents pool jumped in after using the defog (following the directions) and no fog. My next dive was back at the first location and boy when you have 50+ foot of viz and no foging you dive is a lot better. Find it and give it a try.
yep, I heard about that 500 psi stuff....i'm goin to have to give it a try..thanks

huvrr
09-23-2008, 10:49

I love it, a person after my own heart. I can just visualize it. Thanks for the post. I find that the body (head) temp has a lot to do with fogging. When I am not overheating my mask can stay defogged through maybe an hour of diving or more. I will at times partially flood my mask to use the water to clear it to complete a dive but this only happens after a long dive or one in which I have exerted too much. Be careful not to drip on your keyboard though.

thor
09-23-2008, 10:56
Hmm. Doesn't sound normal. Are you using a Mac or a PC? Perhaps you might want to change your ISP as some providers have a tendency to increase fogging in masks. You might want to try using the mask the next time you are driving somewhere. Or perhaps you could just use the mask in the water.

mm_dm
09-23-2008, 11:11
:ttiuwop:

May be a new way to help train those with mask-flooding issues as well :)

peteg
09-23-2008, 11:17
Sounds like you need to clean it some more. Also try this for defogger--it works awesomeliest and is super cheap--mix 1 part water with 1 part no-tears baby shampoo in a little spray bottle. right before putting it on, either for a water dive or a desk dive, give the inside of your mask a couple of spritzes from the sprayer.

3rdEye
09-23-2008, 13:23
i scrubbed my mask a good 5 times before it stopped fogging....and IMO the best defog is sea gold.

Seniordiver
09-23-2008, 13:41
thanks! I did clean with toothpaste and seabuff!!

yes, it is a little humid today, and the ceiling fan is a blowin!
but all the water leaked out on my shirt..

I would like to apologise, but I had a bad thought about a wet shirt and a ceiling fan-my very bad, bad

WaScubaDude
09-23-2008, 14:52
Might be covered, but...New Mask Prep =
Use the real paste type toothpaste (usually white and a bit gritty) not the gel kind. Scrub inside and out 3x with a good rinse in between.
500 PSI mask defog works great! use it on the inside and outside as directed.
A bit messy but works fab.

rumblefish
10-04-2008, 02:31
Make sure you are not breathing a little air out of your nose as you breath. This could also be a reason why you have excess mask fogging.

Splitlip
10-04-2008, 10:52
the ceiling fan is a blowin! but all the water leaked out on my shirt..

Picture please. :)

beanbag33
10-04-2008, 12:02
It sounds like your mask doesn't fit properly. You should be able to keep the mask on without the strap while breathing in through your nose as a test. Fogging is created by condensation and above water isn't the best way to test. Hope this helps

Gonnagettanked
08-23-2010, 12:09
I'm having fogging issues too. Scubbed it with the white toothpaste, and tried the sea gold still fogg'n what a nuisance!

Quero
08-23-2010, 12:46
GGT from B--Have you tried burning the coating off? It's not hard and not as much of a risk of wrecking your mask as you would imagine.
1. Make sure the mask and lenses are dry.
2. Hold a flame inside the mask in the center of the lens about an inch from the glass. Don't move the flame around--just let it touch the center. You will see a kind of milky white substance form and then disappear outward as the glass heats.
3. Wait until the leading edge of this white residue nearly reaches the edges of the mask. Repeat with the other lens.
4. Wash the lenses to remove any soot or leftover residue. Be careful not to touch the hot lenses with your bare fingers. Either wait until the lenses are cool enough to handle safely or use an implement like a toothbrush to clean the lenses while they are still warm. I use toothpaste and a toothbrush. Scrub the lenses all the way to the edges of the glass and then rinse.

Your mask should be easy to defog and stay fog-free throughout the dive after this.

Lineman Larry
08-23-2010, 16:53
"I'm sittin here in front of the computer with my mask on.. I poured a bottle of Dejablue water so it fills near the bottom of my eyes. "

I need to point a small little mistake... Do not fill with Dejablue water...

Only half fill with water, the other half should be a quality sour mash bourbon...

Then you can indulge your computer as long as you can...