PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Nails & H2O

thevalkyry
09-12-2008, 13:51
At the risk of serious ridicule I am going to go ahead and put this out there:

I have had acrylic nails since I was 18. My real nails are way weak and tend to peel and so I thought I hit nirvana when I could put this nifty hard stuff over the top of them.

I just got my OW cert in June and have been to Cozumel and the nails seemed to weather repeated dive days OK ...but I got them filled right before I left.

But I would be interested to hear any other tips or advice for diving with acrylics and not losing/breaking them in the process. Mine are pretty short but I still managed to pop one off hooking up my regulator last week.

Foo2
09-12-2008, 16:09
I haven't had acrylics since I started diving...but my mom gets them. I'll ask her to give me some tips to pass on.

MSilvia
09-12-2008, 16:48
My wife's a certified nail technician, among other things... I'll see if she has any ideas.

thevalkyry
09-12-2008, 18:38
Well, I carry super-glue with all my other liquids: sunscreen, mask de-fog, and swimear. When I was doing my open water at the tag end of a 2 week fill cycle I was sealing them with superglue. Worked OK...but I figure if someone has some unknown secret of success.....

At Xmas I am going to Brasil and I will fill before I leave, but I am spending the first week in the city seeing family before I head to the coast. I'm worried about liftage after a couple of days of diving...

Zenagirl
09-13-2008, 07:52
I used to wear acrylic nails when I first started diving. The main thing that I found that pretty much eliminated breakage or "popping", was having new nails put on a few days prior to a big dive trip. Like you, I also kept my nails on the "shorter" side. Since we travel to dive and only do 2 trips a year (but do 25-50 dives each trip), it wasn't a big deal to get new nails.

Foo2
09-13-2008, 17:22
Ok, so I asked my mom yesterday about the nails....she said, "Nope, no tips. Good luck!" LOL! Sorry. She said that she actually gave up on the nails.

coral cowgirl
09-13-2008, 17:35
I gave up on acrylic nails because I tended to snag them on everything....diving is equipment intensive and my nails just didn't survive.

Eurodiver
09-18-2008, 15:38
I suggest carrying nail glue NOT super glue with you just in case. Nail glue contains an anti fungal agent in it so if you have lift and you put a drop in it will keep you from getting mold or a fungus. Super glue is too strong and can and has been know to "eat" {for lack of a better term} a hole in natural nails. I have had nails since I was 14 and I am 38 now. I pop them off doing dumb stuff like getting in the car. I haven't broke one on dive equipment yet. >>>Knock on wood<<< Too much oil will cause them to lift as well. I carry little alcohol pads with me to the beach all the time and after I put on oil I take one and swipe the back of my nails to get the oil off.
That is my 2 bar for today!

Splitlip
09-18-2008, 18:44
I used to wear acrylics until I had a bad experience after the 3rd dive of the day about a year ago. Here is a pic my buddy snapped. (They were ocean dives)

http://cdnl3.livevideo.com/image/09/141109/684588_30s.jpg (http://www.livevideo.com/video/starrisking/038BBCE9850E46728849A60849DD5A00/the-vampire-sharpens-her-claws.aspx)

Diver Kat
09-18-2008, 23:40
I used to wear acrylics until I had a bad experience after the 3rd dive of the day about a year ago. Here is a pic my buddy snapped. (They were ocean dives)

Seriously ... the Man Card must go .... into the flames ....

Splitlip
09-19-2008, 17:54

LOL.
I swear, if I knew I was gonna get caught, I would not have done it. :smiley13:

Truered1
09-21-2008, 20:36
I have had acrylic nails for about 15 years now - been OW certified a year and a half now. I do everything with them (including open boxes) and RARELY break one. I dive almost every week and have never had a problem. I do wear gloves when diving just as protection of my hands but they seem to protect the nails too. IF you don't have a great nail tech and break them in everyday life or they lift you will probably lose them, but if you have a great tech like I do, I wouldn't worry about them. Hey, even if one breaks........the dive is always worth it :smiley20: especially if you shot a Hog, like I did yesterday or got 2 lobsters today.

Diver Kat
09-22-2008, 23:43

LOL.
I swear, if I knew I was gonna get caught, I would not have done it. :smiley13:You ought to know by now ... with this group you will ALWAYS be caught!! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_1_84.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk762YYUS)

sunshine121
10-13-2008, 13:58
Talk to your nail tech. Different products react differently on different people (I wonder how many more times I can use the word "different"?). When I was having breakage or lifting problems, she switched products for me. I get them done just a couple days before and have them shortened for the trip.
If I get more specific product info, I will post for you. Ia completely agree with the "nail glue vs. super glue" recommendation. Nothing like sealing some water in under your arylic.