PDA

View Full Version : Ranger -

wmcyow
09-14-2008, 18:57
Just finished the 8th dive on my new ranger today. When rinsing it off this evening I noticed that the Velcro pad under the plastic buckles on the shoulder straps (both sides) have come loose. (see photo). It appears as though the glue has just worked itself right off.

Now I plan to drop into my LDS to have them look at this this week - but is this a common problem? All 8 dives have been in fresh water - and the BC has been well rinsed after each dive day.

IndyDiver
09-14-2008, 20:16
Among all the members of the family, we have 2 Brigades and 2 Rangers. I have not had one last past 5 dives before the velcro tab comes off of the back of the plastic buckle. I have no idea why Zeagle bothers to put that velcro tape on the back of the buckle in the first place.

fisheater
09-14-2008, 20:35
Agreed.

Mine are gone and not missed.

warscout2
09-14-2008, 23:25
Is that just a feature on the normal ranger because my Ranger LTD does not and never has had the Velcro

cbope
09-15-2008, 02:25
My Brigade, which uses the Ranger harness, had one of these already loose when I got it new. I re-attached it, but I don't see it lasting very long. I don't know why they use self-adhesive backed velcro like this, it will never stick permanently to a plastic buckle that has any texture on it. I don't see a problem if they get lost, so I'm not really that concerned about it...

:smiley24:

Zenagirl
09-15-2008, 07:09
I just checked my husband's Ranger LTD and his velcro tabs are fine with about 50 dives on it. Since he's never undone the shoulder buckles, it's likely everything is still "new" because the velcro's never been disconnected and the buckles not moved. ;)

Interesting feature though, why is it there? Why bother with the velcro at all? Scott, any insight into this?

ScottZeagle
09-15-2008, 09:52
Why bother with the velcro at all? Scott, any insight into this?

Good point...I'm looking at it.

:)

rktman26
09-15-2008, 10:54
same thing with my Brigade. Gone and not missed.

freeski4ever
09-15-2008, 15:36
Yup, my Ranger had the same thing happen to it, and after only 3 dives. Also, when I was working a class at CSSP, a guy walked over and asked if we were ScubaToys. I told him yes, and he showed me his Brigade which he had just gotten, and asked me if the velcro was supposed to come unglued. I told him no, but that it wasn't a big deal.

I hope Scott replies soon with an explanation as for why the velcro tabs being there in the first place, and what to do about them coming unglued.

ScottZeagle
09-16-2008, 09:02
The purpose of them is just to hold the buckles down, and it is just something that we have always done.

I went out to the repair department and found some BCs that looked like they have been used and abused, yet still had the velcro under the buckles - and some that looked newer that didn't. It seems like it is just a "hit and miss".

The truth is, if the velcro sticks, cool...if it doesn't, it is really no big deal.

wmcyow
09-16-2008, 12:21
Well I guess the consensus is to not worry about it. After playing around with it last night - it certainly doesn't make any change to the functionality. I am surprised though - for all the excellent quality workmanship and materials, this component seems "un-Zeagle"

freeski4ever
09-16-2008, 12:24
True, I didn't think Zeagle would produce something that wasn't flawless. Oh well, its not a big deal. They're still a great company, and make outstanding products.

ScottZeagle
09-16-2008, 12:49
Honestly, I think it is the tape that has changed over the years. It used to last a long time, but now it seems like maybe not so much...

This is one of those things that we just rarely hear about. The internet has made it much easier for people to speak up and let us know what is going on...

I wonder how many people never really knew there was velcro under the buckle until they read this and went and checked....

brains
09-16-2008, 13:22
I had to go look at my ranger to see what you guys were talking about. I got my ranger well used from a friend that is no longer diving. The velcro on mine looks like it has never been used.

cbope
09-16-2008, 13:50
Scott

Actually, I noticed this even before I got mine wet. I was setting up the harness at home after I got my Brigade, and noticed that something was not the same on one side. It was the velcro piece that had come un-stuck from the buckle. The other side was still attached and it was just something I noticed.

I agree with most everyone else, that it's not something I consider a defect, but it would be nice if the adhesive was a little stronger or attached in a more permanent way. I'll also agree with wmcyow, it's a little bit "un-Zeagle", since the rest of the BC is of the highest quality.

Honestly, I think it is the tape that has changed over the years. It used to last a long time, but now it seems like maybe not so much...

This is one of those things that we just rarely hear about. The internet has made it much easier for people to speak up and let us know what is going on...

I wonder how many people never really knew there was velcro under the buckle until they read this and went and checked....

ScottZeagle
09-16-2008, 15:20
Well....now that we understand what a serious issue it is, we will be forced to look for a solution!!!!

:)

ScubaJ
09-16-2008, 17:36
Mine are not sticky when wet. Seems they stick just fine when they are dry, but come off when wet.
It never really bothers me while the BC is in use.
The buckle doesn't move around when under load.

warscout2
09-16-2008, 20:05
I think you should just get rid of the Velcro just so it doesnt come up anymore. I wont miss it will anyone else?

rktman26
09-16-2008, 20:15
I think you should just get rid of the Velcro just so it doesnt come up anymore. I wont miss it will anyone else?

I agree. If it had not been there when I got the BC, I never would have thought:

"Gee, I think there should be something here to hold the buckle down."