PDA

View Full Version : 1 dollar dive shears

Doghouse
08-14-2007, 09:08
Take the attached coupon to your local Harbor Freight store.
Heck for 1 dollar, they can be tossed after each dive if they rust.

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/html/emails/33/RetailA/Images/24.gif

torrey
08-14-2007, 09:29
Harbor Freight is a sweet place. $5 for 5 shears...not a bad deal.

nferra2
08-14-2007, 19:26
HHMMM an excuse to go to Harbor Freight. There is something special about cheap, orange, chinese tools. I have had the same grinder for 6 years, and it still works! And the best part, It was only $8.

CompuDude
08-14-2007, 20:08
They'll rust. FAST.

But at that price, you may not care. Keep that Chinese economy going!

WV Diver
08-14-2007, 20:32
Good deal for a buck, but don't put it in your mouth it is probably painted with lead paint. :smilie39:

techgnostic
08-14-2007, 21:40
Just what I want, safety equipment which won't last the week.

nferra2
08-14-2007, 21:51
The chinese only put lead paint on Childrens toys, they don't waste the good stuff on cheap shears.

TxScubaBear
08-15-2007, 07:32
I didn't get a "cheapie" pair, but got one elsewhere per my OW instructor suggestion, he said it'd cut thru a wire leader of a fish line quicker than hacking with a knife....more peace of mind for when I dive....

Doghouse
08-15-2007, 08:29
I don't know where you dive, but the number of people I see without any shears or any kind of a knife makes me post something like this up.

I would rather see someone spend $1.00 on a set of shears that will rust in a couple of dives than have them go down without anything!

terrillja
08-15-2007, 08:56
I didn't get a "cheapie" pair, but got one elsewhere per my OW instructor suggestion, he said it'd cut thru a wire leader of a fish line quicker than hacking with a knife....more peace of mind for when I dive....

I just dove last weekend on a site where there is a mini-wall in my lake, the salmon sit at the bottom of it, so trawling fishermen like to use braided stainless lines to get the lures down. Upon coming up the wall, I found a piece of the stainless wire between two rocks and started pulling on it to get in free. After 20 min of following it and pulling it from rocks, I found that it was over 200' long, and the only thing that would cut through it was my shears- my oceanic spinner knife was completely unable to get through it. That night my dad, who was diving with me that day, bought himself a pair of shears. Even though I didn't get caught in the wire, I was happy to know that they would have cut through in an entanglement if I had one. I now have 2 pairs of shears, one freshwater and one saltwater, and won't go diving without them.

letsgodiving
08-15-2007, 09:08
I don't know where you dive, but the number of people I see without any shears or any kind of a knife makes me post something like this up.

I would rather see someone spend $1.00 on a set of shears that will rust in a couple of dives than have them go down without anything!

Shears.....bah humbug......get a knife, a BIG knife with sharp nasty looking edges.

terrillja
08-15-2007, 09:15
Shears.....bah humbug......get a knife, a BIG knife with sharp nasty looking edges.

Look at my post above- a brand new knife with a serrated edge was unable to cut through 1/16" stainless wire. Regardless of size, it wasn't going through there, maybe in a hour it would have cut through, but the shears took it out with one cut, 1 second. Invaluable.

ReefHound
08-15-2007, 09:48
I don't really like this idea. First, it's false economy. It may only be a buck but in the long run you'll pay more than just buying a good stainless pair that will last dozens of dives. Second, the hassle of checking them and changing them every couple of dives will soon get old and you'll just stop doing it. Third, it may lend a false sense of security as the time they bust will be under load as you need to cut something. Finally, having these cheapies may preclude you from getting better safety equipment.

terrillja
08-15-2007, 10:11
I don't really like this idea. First, it's false economy. It may only be a buck but in the long run you'll pay more than just buying a good stainless pair that will last dozens of dives. Second, the hassle of checking them and changing them every couple of dives will soon get old and you'll just stop doing it. Third, it may lend a false sense of security as the time they bust will be under load as you need to cut something. Finally, having these cheapies may preclude you from getting better safety equipment.

These are what I have:
http://www.usemc.com/ADC-MediCut-Shears-p/320ny.htm, in a holster similar to the one sold here at ST. I use the shears that came in it for saltwater and the ADC shears for freshwater. This site also has a good price on pocket masks, about $5 with the O2 inlet, not a bad deal at all, I bought 2, one that stays in my BC and another that is in my dive bag.

letsgodiving
08-15-2007, 11:40

Look at my post above- a brand new knife with a serrated edge was unable to cut through 1/16" stainless wire. Regardless of size, it wasn't going through there, maybe in a hour it would have cut through, but the shears took it out with one cut, 1 second. Invaluable.

My post was meant to be sarcastic. :smiley29:

letsgodiving
08-15-2007, 11:43
Anyone that wants a nice cheap pair of shears, these are good from Leisrepro. Plus they have a BC sheaf to keep them in.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/AQUSSC.html?Search=op%3ddtSearch%26Term%3dshears%2 6SearchFlag%3dall%26AdvSrchSortField%3dRelevance%2 6DescSort%3d0%26Hit%3d1

3rdEye
08-15-2007, 11:46
has anyone found a pair of these things that don't rust?

i tossed a pair when the rivet rusted after a few days in salt water...i'd like to find a pair that doesn't rust, and I don't have to worry about, even if they cost a little more. Was wondering about the Zeagle shears.

CompuDude
08-15-2007, 11:52

i tossed a pair when the rivet rusted after a few days in salt water...i'd like to find a pair that doesn't rust, and I don't have to worry about, even if they cost a little more. Was wondering about the Zeagle shears.
Not that I've seen so far. :(

I'd pay a lot for a nice titanium (or other completely rust-free) pair I didn't have to take special care of. Even the better, more expensive SS shears tend to rust at the rivet pretty quickly. A little rust doesn't mean they're no longer functional, but it's still annoying.

letsgodiving
08-15-2007, 11:58
Buy some T-9 (WD40 for the aircraft industry), and spray a little on after each clean and rinse. That should keep the rust away.

BTW - Titanium for shears might not be a great idea. Titanium is fairly brittle and the extra force applied with shears would probably cause chipping.

3rdEye
08-15-2007, 11:59

Not that I've seen so far. :(

I'd pay a lot for a nice titanium (or other completely rust-free) pair I didn't have to take special care of. Even the better, more expensive SS shears tend to rust at the rivet pretty quickly. A little rust doesn't mean they're no longer functional, but it's still annoying.

yeah unfortunate....i know titanium can bond and fuse with other metals....and maybe even with itself. but there are other types of titanium shears out there....i dunno :scratchchin:

CompuDude
08-15-2007, 12:17
Buy some T-9 (WD40 for the aircraft industry), and spray a little on after each clean and rinse. That should keep the rust away.

BTW - Titanium for shears might not be a great idea. Titanium is fairly brittle and the extra force applied with shears would probably cause chipping.
True, but I'm sure there's some metal out there (H1, for instance?) that meets the specs.

I'm a little leery of petroleum products like T9 or WD40 being stored close to my dive gear. Degrades seals, causes "issues" with 100% o2, etc. Something to consider, however, since I doubt anyone is going to make the perfect rust-free shears anytime soon.

I HAVE seen Titanium medical shears before, incidentally, but they're not exactly the same, so I haven't really looked into their suitability for diving.

These are what I have:
http://www.usemc.com/ADC-MediCut-Shears-p/320ny.htm, in a holster similar to the one sold here at ST. I use the shears that came in it for saltwater and the ADC shears for freshwater. This site also has a good price on pocket masks, about $5 with the O2 inlet, not a bad deal at all, I bought 2, one that stays in my BC and another that is in my dive bag.
Looks like a good deal, thanks for the link. How have the salt water shears held up? Rusty yet?

CompuDude
08-15-2007, 12:48
Hmmm... I did a little digging again, inspired by this thread, and turned up these "take-apart shears":

http://jaeberly.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/9474apart.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-9474-6984-7-Inch-Take-Apart/dp/B00004T83K

They're only SS, but the fact that they can be disassembled might make them last longer than your average shears, which usually rust at the rivet because it's nearly impossible to dry them thoroughly there.