PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Mermet....

KennyD
09-16-2008, 20:29
Anybody dive this site very often? Going with a large group in mid Oct. and have never been. Any and all info would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.:smiley20:

julz
09-16-2008, 20:49
its a nice place lots of sunken attractions you can get a list of everything they have on their website Mermet Springs - Home of 1st Class Diving (http://www.mermetsprings.com). It will also tell you about the conditions .

GIFFMANN
09-16-2008, 20:51
Interested to hear as well as it's only 20 miles from my wife's best friend's house, which means free lodging!!!

I've heard good things about it. I'd really like the see the 727 they have.

julz
09-16-2008, 21:16
it's the only place i have got to dive so far and i'm not bored their yet the 727 is cool it's at angle from about 15' to about 50'.

tc_rain
09-16-2008, 21:28
Good time to go is the first weekend in Oct. DUI Days.

snagel
09-17-2008, 05:09
IMO, the best diving in the midwest. I drive 6 hours to dive Mermet. Top notch quarry with many attractions and the staff is absolutely the best. They are friendly, but also have all the expertise on-site to handle any situation. It's like going home where everybody knows your name.

Obviously, there is the 727. But, also many other attractions - planes, pettin' zoo, ambulance, fire truck, etc. Everything is mapped out with guide lines. All the attractions are in 50 or less feet and cleaned regularly - no or minimal silt. There is a deeper side 100+ depths. Great wall dive and many friendly spoonbill and catfish.

Right now they hare having the best viz they have all year - 30+ feet. Water temps in the 70's on surface, but does get in 50's at nose of the plane and 40's down deep.

Many pavillions for the SI, flushing toilets, and hot showers. (Very clean, nobody else compares to the cleanliness)

I have many pictures in my album (link below) if your interested.

Snagel

BSea
09-17-2008, 08:41
I agree with all the above post. As Snagle said, all the attractions are mapped, and most have lines running between them. But there are hidden objects that aren't on the map. Every time I go, I find something I hadn't seen before. Nothing big, but just something unexpected.

Be sure & do a twilight night dive. You see some really big bass just before dark.

navyhmc
09-17-2008, 13:48
Wish I could go... :(

davis73
09-17-2008, 22:38
Awesome place, awesome people!!!

mm2002
09-18-2008, 18:55
Definitely go the Mermet, you won't be disappointed. Snagel turned me onto it, and we had an awesome time. I did the 727 3 times, and still wasn't tired of it! I want to go back sometime in Oct, so who knows, I may see ya there.

KennyD
09-18-2008, 22:27
Thanks for all the input guys! I appreciate it. Kenny

beperkins
10-17-2008, 10:00
A lot of you fuys said you were planning an Oct Mermet trip. Is anyone still going? I love mermet and my weenie dive buddies only like to go out of town once a month or so so that leaves me with 2 or 3 weekends a month that I try to scare up alternate plans.

KennyD
10-20-2008, 21:04
Well got back from Mermet Springs late last night. Wow! What a great bunch of people working there! I dove my A$$ off this past weekend. Did 12 dives in two days. Did night dives both nights and each was over a hour long. Huge Black Fish (4 feet long) and they love hot dogs.... The whole place is really great. I can't say enough good things about this place. Every line has a place card saying where it goes to. Huge training platforms. This place has Everything and great Viz!!!!! 60+ feet. I couldn't believe it. Did I already say how great the Staff was? It's a 10 hour drive from Wichita and worth every min. of it! I will be going back several times!
Special thanks to Glen (owner) and Jamie (Intern) who really made our group feel like family.
KennyD

Doug B
10-22-2008, 22:08
Well got back from Mermet Springs late last night. Wow! What a great bunch of people working there! I dove my A$$ off this past weekend. Did 12 dives in two days. Did night dives both nights and each was over a hour long. Huge Black Fish (4 feet long) and they love hot dogs.... The whole place is really great. I can't say enough good things about this place. Every line has a place card saying where it goes to. Huge training platforms. This place has Everything and great Viz!!!!! 60+ feet. I couldn't believe it. Did I already say how great the Staff was? It's a 10 hour drive from Wichita and worth every min. of it! I will be going back several times!
Special thanks to Glen (owner) and Jamie (Intern) who really made our group feel like family.
KennyD

Five hour drive for me. I'm gonna have to make a point to dive there in late summer 2009 and bring a buddy. Gonna have to make at least two days of diving to make that drive worth it.

tc_rain
10-22-2008, 22:22
What is the current vis? No way it is 60+ feet.

KennyD
10-22-2008, 22:29
What is the current vis? No way it is 60+ feet.

Go see for yourself. I'm still in shock myself.

snagel
10-25-2008, 07:02
Hey KennyD,

Thanks for the update. FYI - I copied your post to our webpage as well on the current conditions.

Mermet is having some of the best diving right now I've ever seen. Down deep 80-100' it really opens up. Maybe you can argue the 60+' thing, but point is - it opens up considerably at depth. Shallower dives are 20+ feet depending on students and activity.

S. Nagel

shawnwill36
10-27-2008, 07:56
i wonder if you can dive there in the winter with just a 3 mil? im from oklahoma so its hard to find anywhere to get wet unless i go to the coasts or mexico

Brandon Belew
10-27-2008, 08:00
i wonder if you can dive there in the winter with just a 3 mil? im from oklahoma so its hard to find anywhere to get wet unless i go to the coasts or mexico

Or drive up to missouri, Oronogo. Or Ten Killer, or Beaver Lake ( in Arkansas ), or Table Rock lake ( in mo ). Plenty of places to dive around here without making a journey to the ocean.

mm2002
10-27-2008, 09:09
Tablerock is very do-able in a 3mm right now, as well as Mermet (depending on depth of course). Oronogo is just too cold for me (7mm minimum IMHO)

Brandon Belew
10-27-2008, 09:20
Tablerock is very do-able in a 3mm right now, as well as Mermet (depending on depth of course). Oronogo is just too cold for me (7mm minimum IMHO)

Dove oronogo this weekend, wasn't too bad. Of course I wear a 7mm farmer john year round.

Only time I get away with wearing my 3mil is in the pool.

navyhmc
10-27-2008, 14:29
You know, next Oronogo trip. I may have to try a 3mm just for giggles...or chills depending...:smiley36: :D

Mtrewyn
10-27-2008, 18:30
I went to mermit last month and the vis was GREAT I don't know about 60+ feet but it sure is the best I have seen around here, I wonder if the spoon bill help keep it clear???