PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol and diving?

findme23rls
09-16-2008, 22:52
Does diving effect your body's ability to process alcohol out of the blood stream?

CompuDude
09-16-2008, 23:11
Does diving effect your body's ability to process alcohol out of the blood stream?

Of more concern is alcohol's ability to interfere with the normal rate of nitrogen absorption and release.

The two don't mix.

krusejustin
09-16-2008, 23:17
sounds like death to me lol

oddbod
09-16-2008, 23:41
sounds like death to me lol

No alcohol=Death:bayer:

Joe L
09-17-2008, 06:34
In stead of no Fly timer, my computer has a count down timer of when the beer can poor....:smiley2:

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
09-17-2008, 06:59
I never drink before diving.

After a dive I think the most danger is the dehydrating effect of Alcohol. I don't drink while my nitrogen loading is high and I always rehydrate myself before drinking. Always a bottle of water before a bottle of beer.

wgt
09-17-2008, 07:03

In answer to the original question:

So far as I am aware, diving does not alter the processing or elimination of alcohol.

Now for the sermon:

Alcohol would certainly be predicted to influence dive-related behavior. First, alcohol intoxication increases risk in an activity where judgement, awareness, and responsiveness are paramount (either during or in preparation for a dive). Second, alcohol interacts with nitrogen within the nervous system, thereby accentuating the intoxicating effects of the inert gas, perhaps permitting narcotic effects to arise shallower and with greater intensity than normal.

monant
09-17-2008, 08:47
I know a diver who descended to 60 feet with a hangover. He got narced and ended the dive. I don't know if he still had alcohol in his blood but a good rule to follow is if you have been drinking or don't feel good; don't dive that day. A live aboard I was on last July served beer but your first beer of the day signified your last dive of the day.

Contact DAN and I'm sure you will get some really good information.

BlowingBubbles
09-17-2008, 11:06
I know a couple of resort certified divers (and I'm not bashing them, just stating that they aren't serious divers since they only dive once every 2 or 3 years) and the female of the husband/wife team told me how funny it was that her husband drank freely and always dived half drunk or hungover and how much air he sucked. Aside from the obvious dangers of drinking and diving, I'm sure the other divers didn't appreciate having to end their dive early because he was OOA first. (This was a Sandal's resort where you all dive together - down at the same time, up at the same time).

bane51031
12-11-2008, 19:33
Diving and drinking do not mix, I will be honest the night before our last check out dives me and the guys hit it pretty hard, hungover at 30 feet the next day I had the displeasure of feeding the local fish population via the vomit pouring out of my exhaust ports, leasson learned, also enjoy diving more than drinking.

texdiveguy
12-11-2008, 19:55

That's a silly question!

I hope you did not find out the hard way as I noticed this was only your second post and it was months ago.

Grin
12-12-2008, 07:55
I never miss my end of the day beer on the way in! I'm sure it's not textbook, but it never hurt me or the 100s of other divers I know who do the same.
I always limit my beer the night before diving. usually none, but a couple is OK. Overdoing it, both, makes for a tough day on the water and probably does up the risks the next day.
I think the answer to this topic is "Moderation", as in everything else.
Occassionally, I even have a single beer before my last dive.

mm2002
12-12-2008, 21:28
Nothing better than an ice cold one or 12 after a good day of diving, but drinking alcohol right before, or even the evening before diving is just stupid.

Splitlip
12-12-2008, 21:36
All right mm2002, grin and oddbod. I lift my glass!
YouTube - monsters in the morning - storm aid - beer song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odvaMAq7dnc)

cummings66
12-13-2008, 09:04
I'm wondering if they're somewhere in a land afar since they're current military. I know that some in the military drink liquor like fish, so that's probably the reason behind the question.

IMO it's not something I'd do nor would I allow a buddy who's been drinking to dive with me. There is enough risk, why add more when you can control that?