PDA

View Full Version : TSA locks

chinacat46
08-14-2007, 10:16
Has anyone used TSA locks on international flights? I know they are okay in the US but was wondering if they would be cut in another country or if they will allow them.

thor
08-14-2007, 10:23
I've had them on international flights and they haven't been cut, yet.

Zenagirl
08-14-2007, 10:29
Ditto, no problem on any flights.

deepdiver47
08-14-2007, 10:37
same here, I use the ones that have a green slide to them that tells me that they haven't been opened. They will turn red when someone has entered so if I do not see the TSA "we have inspected you bag" paper then I know that something is up.

ertechsg
08-14-2007, 10:41
I have had customs not put one back on my bag in Cozumel... but no other problems yet. I would never travel with out mty bags being locked.

namabiru
08-14-2007, 10:48
Naw, I think you'll be okay. After all, mine were purchased in the Kansai airport in Osaka. If you're going really off the beaten path, like to Cambodia or somewhere like that, you may consider not using them if you're afraid of them getting hacked.

Harshal
08-14-2007, 10:49
Yep No Prob at all on International Flight

Black-Gorrilla
08-14-2007, 12:20
plus, dont they replace them for free if they get cut? mine said that on the pack it came in.

Fideaux
08-14-2007, 16:35
plus, dont they replace them for free if they get cut? mine said that on the pack it came in.

I have never had them cut off international but I have had them cut off on domestic flights by the TSA agents with keys. You have to file a claim to get them paid for by the TSA unless you create a huge stink at the airport where you notice them missing. From first hand experience if you call the airport police and report the bags broken into and show the TSA lock and key you will get new ones from the out-of-work bill collectors that the TSA has hired. (I am not bitter just a very frequent flier who has had it done on more than one occassion.)

Bruce

lucidblue
08-14-2007, 18:48
Glad I clicked on this link, I didn't know about TSA locks. Clearly this means I should be traveling much more often :icon_mrgreen:.

Black-Gorrilla
08-14-2007, 19:03

I have never had them cut off international but I have had them cut off on domestic flights by the TSA agents with keys. You have to file a claim to get them paid for by the TSA unless you create a huge stink at the airport where you notice them missing. From first hand experience if you call the airport police and report the bags broken into and show the TSA lock and key you will get new ones from the out-of-work bill collectors that the TSA has hired. (I am not bitter just a very frequent flier who has had it done on more than one occassion.)

Bruce

i had mine cut (when my mother was using it) and she was on the way back from brasil, they cut them, and then trew it in the pocket on the bag... she said "i'll get you new ones" and is yet to do so. i will go to brookstone where i bought them and see if i can get them switched out.

quarrydiver
08-14-2007, 19:48
never had em cut yet.

Jaymeany
08-16-2007, 09:13
The brand that I got will replace them for free as long as you send them the lock pieces, I think a receipt, and the TSA card saying they unlocked your luggage. Check with the manufacture. I got mine for 9.95 shipped! I should get it tomorrow.

Harshal
08-16-2007, 09:39
You can get them at wal-mart as well, it has a little symbol on them and they are approved. I had mine which also has indictor if they open your bag, most of the time for domestic travel I don't lock and let is just hang from the zipper and I still find my indicator saying they had opened my lock, how dumb can TSA get?

ScaredSilly
08-16-2007, 10:08
How dumb is TSA - here is a picture of a lock that TSA tried and failed to cut.

http://www.sci.utah.edu/~allen/misc/LockPicture.JPG

So they broke the zipper pulls instead.

ReefHound
08-16-2007, 10:38
same here, I use the ones that have a green slide to them that tells me that they haven't been opened. They will turn red when someone has entered so if I do not see the TSA "we have inspected you bag" paper then I know that something is up.

How do these indicators work? Is this a one-time use disposable lock?

Harshal
08-16-2007, 11:22

How do these indicators work? Is this a one-time use disposable lock?

No they are not disposable lock, but they have mechanical indicator, when any TSA person unlocks your bag using their key, they turn red to indicate your bag had been opened and then you can reset it again before your next trip. So everytime someone from TSA opens your bag, you know it.
I think mine are samsonite, not 100% sure and they are not expensive they run like $7-8 for two.

ReefHound
08-16-2007, 11:26
No they are not disposable lock, but they have mechanical indicator, when any TSA person unlocks your bag using their key, they turn red to indicate your bag had been opened and then you can reset it again before your next trip. So everytime someone from TSA opens your bag, you know it.

What stops TSA from resetting it?

Damselfish
08-16-2007, 12:10
I've lost these locks in both the US and internationally. I've never gotten a cut lock back. So, I've given up on them. I really doubt they stop anyone from opening bags, I'm sure all the bad guys have the key too. I use unique nylon zip ties as a small deterent and to keep zippers from opening.

What I have found, is if they cut off a tie they have always replace it with a new tie - but it they cut off a lock they don't replace it with anything, which is annoying. I figure I am better off with a tie they will replace.

Once when our bags got lost and came back through US Customs without us, we lost locks then - appears US Customs does not have the keys, which is sort of dumb really.

Queen
08-16-2007, 13:19
I must have suspicious bags because mine are opened every. single. time. I've only had them cut once and that was in Key West, the TSA doofus said "oops" when I pointed out that he HAS A KEY. :smiley26:

Harshal
08-16-2007, 13:29

What stops TSA from resetting it?

You have to open it with your combination to reset it.

Fideaux
08-16-2007, 19:23
Scaredsilly,

I love the photo, that is our govt at work there. I wonder if they watch the Blue Collar Tour while working. Before anyone else jumps on me for that I find it funny and laugh each time I watch it. Of course I am usually drinking adult beverages.

Bruce

deepdiver47
08-16-2007, 19:25
you turn the opened barrel 180 degrees and push down and it switches from red to green

JugglingMonkeys
08-17-2007, 04:11
one of my rules of traveling: never pack anything valuable in checked luggage.
always take in carryon only.

so i never lock my stuff.
no need to.

Liv7301
08-17-2007, 10:16
It has been interesting reading about all of your different experiences with these locks. I am still planning on trying a set for the trip in Nov. but probably only on the gear bags. The suitcase won't have any "good stuff" in it so if someone really needs a t-shirt or another pair of underwear that badly, well heck, go for it. And our reg bags with the lights, computer, reg, octo, etc. will get carried on.

namabiru
08-17-2007, 10:50
Which makes sense. I worked for a moving company for 3 summers, so I *know* how things get handled once they're put in boxes or containers. It's interesting how boxes marked "High Value" or "Fragile" always got a nice extra kick when being forced into the trailer...

Here's a tidbit for you. Roughly 75% of all breakage during a move doesn't occur with how something was packed, but how it got handled afterwards. Your packers did fine--it was the loaders, who were tired after a 12-hour day of working in 90+ heat and wanted to go home who started taking shortcuts with the loading, and broke your Aunt Betty's K-Mart Special teapot.

So I can imagine... no, I full-well know... how suitcases get thrown around on airplanes. I certainly wouldn't put anything fragile in checked luggage either. Including reg/computer/lights etc.

Queen
08-17-2007, 13:13
...So I can imagine... no, I full-well know... how suitcases get thrown around on airplanes. I certainly wouldn't put anything fragile in checked luggage either. Including reg/computer/lights etc.

Reminds me of the time I picked up my crushed hard-side suitcase (wrapped in "Eastern Airlines" tape) from baggage claim, it had tire tread marks all over it where the baggage tractor had run over it. When I went in to file a claim the clerk looked at me with a straight face and said "we didn't do that, it must have been that way when you checked it in". :smiley36:

namabiru
08-17-2007, 13:30
Everyone, I have an important announcement to make.

Queen is my new dive buddy. Queen is *extremely* prepared. After all, it isn't everyone who conveniently keeps Eastern Airline on hand at their homes so they can disguise that *they* ran over their own suitcase so as to win a claim from Stingy Jerks Airlines.

What fools.

Which airline did this brainless clerk work for? I know I'm a bit young, and Eastern Airlines has been gone for a while, but was it also Eastern Airlines, or was that just the tape Stingy Jerks Airlines bought at the Eastern Airlines liquidation sale?

Queen
08-17-2007, 14:46

Queen is my new dive buddy. Queen is *extremely* prepared. After all, it isn't everyone who conveniently keeps Eastern Airline on hand at their homes so they can disguise that *they* ran over their own suitcase so as to win a claim from Stingy Jerks Airlines.

What fools.

Which airline did this brainless clerk work for? I know I'm a bit young, and Eastern Airlines has been gone for a while, but was it also Eastern Airlines, or was that just the tape Stingy Jerks Airlines bought at the Eastern Airlines liquidation sale?

It was a good old Eastern Airlines clerk. I just held my mangled bag up and asked if they sell that brand of tape in the airport gift shop or does everybody just bring some from home?? :smiley36:

MtnDiver
08-17-2007, 15:20
I compare locking up my luggage with locking up my jeep (it has no doors or top). If a baggage clerk wants something in your bag...the locks aren't going to stop them. And FWIW, international flights only insure luggage up to like $500 or something rediculous....on domestic flights I think the new limit is around $3000.

deepdiver47
08-17-2007, 15:25

What fools.

It was a good old Eastern Airlines clerk. I just held my mangled bag up and asked if they sell that brand of tape in the airport gift shop or does everybody just bring some from home?? :smiley36:

Eastern airlines? you are old. I flew them on my honeymoon, It was a nightmare flight

JugglingMonkeys
08-18-2007, 08:43
it's not only an issue of fragility.
depending on where you go, theft is also a significant problem with checked bags.

bottom line - don't check valuable stuff.

Travelnsj
08-18-2007, 10:12
I have had them on my bags (TSA locks) in last year to Palau, Indonesia, Tahiti, Mexico and East Timor....no problems.

Queen
08-18-2007, 13:50
Eastern airlines? you are old. I flew them on my honeymoon, It was a nightmare flight
I think there's more than a few reasons they are out of business. :D

(and yes, I'm getting old...turning 47 in a couple of weeks :partysmiley:)

Black-Gorrilla
08-18-2007, 19:25
depending on where you go, theft is also a significant problem with checked bags.

the problem with that is... you can only carry on so much... so then you have to check stuff, and valuable stuff will usually end up checked too.

JugglingMonkeys
08-19-2007, 10:15

the problem with that is... you can only carry on so much... so then you have to check stuff, and valuable stuff will usually end up checked too.

i know too many people who've had stuff stolen from checked bags.

depending on the airline you get 2 carryons: one wheelie and a back-pack (or computer).
that will carry a bunch of stuff.
often i'll travel for 2 weeks on carryon alone. No scuba gear included though.

if possible, ship valuables that can't be carryon-ed.

Travelnsj
08-19-2007, 10:50
In my 2 carryons I have the most valuable items Reg, Dive computers, Camera then personal items....can be a bit bulky but I have the basics for diving....tooth brush and change of clothes.

Liv7301
08-19-2007, 11:04
I know a lady who checked a laptop by tucking it into the center of her suitcase and packing around it. She was actually surprised when she discovered it stolen. And to make it better it was company owned and not her personal one. So she had to shell out $1500 in a replacement fee for a 4 year old laptop that wasn't even worth that anymore.

Just another example of carrying on the valuables, always!

JugglingMonkeys
08-25-2007, 05:46
Hey, i just proved my own point!

returned on thursday from 3 1/2 weeks away. Today is Saturday and United still haven't delivered my two checked bags, lost somewhere along the way...

and i leave tomorrow on the next trip!

moral of the story - don't put ANY valuables in checked baggage!

Jaymeany
08-25-2007, 06:34
I carry on as much as i can. I ppush the limits of teh carry on size guidelines because of lost bags. If they could keep track of my bags I would bring on a smaller carry on. I know they hate big carry ons but as my mother once said in a rant one day "Just because you throw you laundry downstairs to be washed doesn't mean it's coming back!":giropp: Thats how I feel about airlines. Now I am in search of a back that tests the limits of carry on possibilities:smiley20:

Travelnsj
08-25-2007, 08:36
Hey, i just proved my own point!

returned on thursday from 3 1/2 weeks away. Today is Saturday and United still haven't delivered my two checked bags, lost somewhere along the way...

and i leave tomorrow on the next trip!

moral of the story - don't put ANY valuables in checked baggage!

Sorry to hear that....I've been very lucky. With all the travel I do....I have lost my bags in transit only once and caught up with me in Kota Kinablu only 6 hours late.

JugglingMonkeys
08-25-2007, 09:21
i'm confident that they're return to me - might be a couple more days though.
:smiley5:

lucidblue
08-25-2007, 10:49
...So I can imagine... no, I full-well know... how suitcases get thrown around on airplanes. I certainly wouldn't put anything fragile in checked luggage either. Including reg/computer/lights etc.

Reminds me of the time I picked up my crushed hard-side suitcase (wrapped in "Eastern Airlines" tape) from baggage claim, it had tire tread marks all over it where the baggage tractor had run over it. When I went in to file a claim the clerk looked at me with a straight face and said "we didn't do that, it must have been that way when you checked it in". :smiley36:

Wow, Eastern Airlines, I haven't thought about them in a long time. All my flights as a kid were on Eastern.

rfb3
02-11-2008, 09:45
Good info in this thread!

I cannot believe the airlines cannot get a hold on the stealing that goes on! Can they hire better and get cameras installed in these inspection areas!?!?!?!

ianr33
02-11-2008, 10:12
How dumb is TSA -

How infinite is the universe?

I travel a lot on business and had ben doing pretty well with TSA locks until the last couple of weeks.

First week,bag arrives with no lock.TSA inspection notice inside and lock in bottom of bag. Ya know people if you take the lock off you can put it back on........

Second week,no lock,no notice.

I feel so safe being protected by these people :smiley36:

ianr33
02-11-2008, 10:14
I cannot believe the airlines cannot get a hold on the stealing that goes on! Can they hire better and get cameras installed in these inspection areas!?!?!?!

Sure they could,but that would cut into their bottom line.

(I am having an especially cynical monday morning after being on the road for 2 weeks ! )

rfb3
02-11-2008, 10:15
I am starting to wonder about the zip tie idea... If you leave a polite note asking them to replace the zip tie after cutting it off (leaving a few in the bag), would they do this for you? And, would it keep everyone else out of your stuff???

chinacat46
02-11-2008, 11:24
I used to use zip ties and they normally did replace them when they searched the bags. They usually used their own and it was a different color from mine. I know use TSA locks and have only had my bag opened once by them and they did relock it afterward. It has an indicator on it which turns red when opened by them with a key and can only be reset by me opening it with the combo. Never had a problem outside the US.

rfb3
02-11-2008, 13:13
Thanks chinacat46. I am carrying on everything except my BC, fins and Reg/Comp setup. Thinking about carrying on the Reg/Comp...

Has anyone out there had their reg/computer stolen?

ianr33
02-11-2008, 13:26
Thanks chinacat46. I am carrying on everything except my BC, fins and Reg/Comp setup. Thinking about carrying on the Reg/Comp...

Has anyone out there had their reg/computer stolen?

I ALWAYS carry on regs and computer.

Not so worried about getting it stolen as being dropped on concrete from a great height.

TravisD
02-11-2008, 13:41
The one place that TSA locks seem useful is on bags that have built-in locks. We bought a "decent" piece of hard-side Samsonite last year (carry-on legal roller-bag) and it has latches with integrated locks. The TSA key-bypass at least lets us use the combinatin lock built into the latch to prevent accidental opening.

On the soft-sided pieces, zip-ties are the norm. Only problem there is figuring out where to pack something to cut them off at the other end!

Oh, and we also use a TSA-locked baggage strap around the big low-end hard-side samsonite that works very well for dive-gear -- hard side, roller, no lining to absord moisture/odors! but has plan combo-locks without TSA bypass.

DeeDoubleYou
02-11-2008, 16:03
I've never locked any bag of mine. It seems like nearly every trip I take whether domestic or international, my bags get searched, can't figure out why. And its usually not the suspicious looking hoses and metal of my gear, its the cases with clothes and a couple magazines or books....hmmm. I think TSA just gets bored and does this for giggles. As far as the locks go, I just put one of those wide straps around to prevent zippers from opening/breaking.

I figure if someone wants inside my bag, it's easier to unzip than to damage the bag and zippers then at least i'll get my bag back unscathed... albeit, empty!

cutter77
02-12-2008, 01:08
I use small zip ties and they've never been cut.

DRNightdiver
02-12-2008, 16:59
I'm traveling next month and right now i'm planning on going with the funky color zip tie idea rather than spend the $5-$10 on a TSA lock that can just as easily be cut or opened by those behind the airline curtain.

Texas Girl
02-13-2008, 07:56
I also use the colored zip ties, as it is easy to see when TSA has opened the bag. It seems like on almost every trip one bag has been opened. I prefer to fly out of my small local airport because they go through every bag right in front of you. Then they let me put my zip ties on, and the bag isn't opened again.

pyre24
02-14-2008, 01:25
Went to Ukraine with them and no problems at all. Wouldnt leave without them.

rfb3
02-14-2008, 08:46
Pyre24,
Well dang! I am leaving today and I guess I'll just have to trust the folks poking thru my bags! I am, however, carrying on everything buy my fins, BC and mask! :)

UCFKnightDiver
02-14-2008, 17:18
no one carrys on theur bc? and why not your mask its small and is nice to have oine that fits you

johnyringo
02-14-2008, 20:29
I always use zip ties, and they have never replaced them after they've gone through my bag. Maybe I'll give the TSA locks a try next trip.

Doghouse
02-15-2008, 09:18
I did not have a problem with them, they just never returned it. I picked up my bags after clearing customs in atlanta from mexico.

I double checked the lock on my dive gear.
Passed it off to the delta person.
When I picked up my bags, the lock was gone and the tsa note was inside. So either they were an idiot and did not bother to use the key and cut it, or they were negligent and did not put the lock back on.

luckily nothing was missing when I arrived home. I am putting in a claim for a new lock.

maggs_the
02-17-2008, 19:49
good thread.. i was wondering about them as well... other than just what they tell you to sell 'em to ya ;)

quarkuud
02-17-2008, 21:23
I use cable ties nearly everywhere I go. I started doing it when traveling in SE Asia, just in case someone got the idea of putting something into my luggage. I decided that I liked it enough to keep doing it. I use bright colors and have never had them cut.

terrillja
02-17-2008, 21:26
I use cable ties nearly everywhere I go. I started doing it when traveling in SE Asia, just in case someone got the idea of putting something into my luggage. I decided that I liked it enough to keep doing it. I use bright colors and have never had them cut.
That's what I use, and the only time I have had them cut is when the TSA inspects my bag. Good tamper-evident device.

rfb3
02-25-2008, 10:19
Just got back from the BVI and I did not use locks or zip ties. Nothing was "missing". I think I will stop using my Pelican 1650 (with all the stickers). It is the only bag that usually gets searched.