PDA

View Full Version : NAUI Advanced This Weekend

lucidblue
09-19-2008, 10:48
3rdEye and I are taking a private NAUI Advanced course this weekend. My OW class was a large with a few instructors. It was a good class, but I'm looking forward to the more individualized attention that a private class will offer. I'm especially hoping to gain a lot from the focus on buoyancy and navigation.

drako
09-19-2008, 11:07
Good luck I really enjoyed my advanced. I'm looking forward to my rescue.

Oh and if you have not already try and get your nitrox with it.

lucidblue
09-21-2008, 22:36
We're now Advanced Scuba Diving certified! :biggrinbounce2:

We actually got a lot of this class since it was just the two of us and we explained to the instructor that we have 52 dives in and have been spending a lot of time on buoyancy and trim. After our first dive he decided we had the skills to push us harder than he does most advanced students and if there was time, take us through some more advanced skills that he wouldn't normally cover in the class. Some of the extras we did were mid water mask floods (3rdEye did a mid water mask removal) and we ran a line into wreck that was fairly open (the wooden cabin cruiser near the student area at Dutch).

I have more to say, but I'm too exhausted to go into any detail. I'm just really glad we did the private class. Our instructor was able to pay a lot more attention to our technique and make recommendations to fix flaws.

3rdEye
09-21-2008, 22:41

We actually got a lot of this class since it was just the two of us and we explained to the instructor that we have 52 dives in and have been spending a lot of time on buoyancy and trim. After our first dive he decided we had the skills to push us harder than he does most advanced students and if there was time, take us through some more advanced skills that he wouldn't normally cover in the class. Some of the extras we did were mid water mask floods (3rdEye did a mid water mask removal) and we ran a line into wreck that was fairly open (the wooden cabin cruiser near the student area at Dutch).

I have more to say, but I'm too exhausted to go into any detail. I'm just really glad we did the private class. Our instructor was able to pay a lot more attention to our technique and make recommendations to fix flaws.

don't forget the mid water SMB shoot, combined with an OOA scenario...ascending while sharing air and handling the SMB....fun!

lucidblue
09-21-2008, 22:49

don't forget the mid water SMB shoot, combined with an OOA scenario...ascending while sharing air and handling the SMB....fun!

Yes, it was my first time shooting and SMB. I did it stationary on the platform the first time and then a midwater with an OOA scenario. The latter was difficult, but I think I did fairly well. Definitely did better with deploying the SMB midwater than I did with the added on OOA portion.

The class was really a lot of fun... new challenges, new skills!

Lj82
09-21-2008, 23:01
Congratulations to you guys for completing the course!

May I ask what is a 'private course'???
I guess things operate differently here in Singapore.

lucidblue
09-21-2008, 23:07
Congratulations to you guys for completing the course!

May I ask what is a 'private course'???
I guess things operate differently here in Singapore.

Thanks. Private just means that there is only 1 or 2 people taking the course instead of 4+.

UCFKnightDiver
09-24-2008, 08:22
just curious, by chance did your instructor go over rock bottom gas consumption calculations with you

ScubaJ
09-24-2008, 10:09
Congrats Lucid & 3rdeye!

I agree, smaller classes are the way to go.

Now on to Rescue! :smiley20:

3rdEye
09-24-2008, 10:17
just curious, by chance did your instructor go over rock bottom gas consumption calculations with you

the only gas consumption type stuff we did was determining our SAC with the SAC calculator.

MDDIVER
09-24-2008, 10:43
What LDS did you use. I enjoy Dutch Springs diving and would not mind trying to get my Adv. up there. Everyone around here dives some crapy no-viz place or Lake Rawlings. From my house the drive is the same but there is just something about DS that I like so much better.

3rdEye
09-24-2008, 10:59
What LDS did you use. I enjoy Dutch Springs diving and would not mind trying to get my Adv. up there. Everyone around here dives some crapy no-viz place or Lake Rawlings. From my house the drive is the same but there is just something about DS that I like so much better.

We went through Lehigh Valley dive shop, right near Dutch....good bunch of guys

MDDIVER
09-24-2008, 11:50
Sweet. Since you did the PVT class how did it go. How much class room did you have? was it more home study test then dive?

lucidblue
09-25-2008, 18:06
Sweet. Since you did the PVT class how did it go. How much class room did you have? was it more home study test then dive?

This class was 98% diving. "Classroom" was just in between dives and mostly a time for us to ask questions. We did work on navigation skills for about an hour in the grass before doing it underwater.

The class was great and so was our instructor. He quickly gauged our skill level and was willing to push the limits of the class as far as were were comfortable going. His instruction had a technical diving slant to it, since 3rdEye expressed interest. It was definitely worth the extra money for a private class. I'm also glad we waited until we at least 50 dives under our belts before we took the class. It gave us time to practice our skills and learn from recommendations on the board, which allowed the instruction to be much more refined.