PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question

HAMradioDIVER
09-19-2008, 11:32
I am going to post both of my current questions on here so as to save on forum space.

1.I have read a few times on here that the zip ties have come off mouth piece on regulator. Of course i am DEEPLY concerned. When i took my OW course, sadly, we were not fully instructed on how to thoroughly check our gear for these little details. Can someone please go through these details that i need to look out for?

2. I plan on doing alot of shore dives. Why, well i am limited on dive shops close to where i live and the ones available, well...lets just say there are only a few. If i am going to explore a place (small reef) near the shore and am not sure of my max depth (from snorkling over it might be 25ft max +/-) how do i plan for a dive like that. I mean, once face hits water i can be in 10ft one minute and then 20 the next and then back to 5ft...How do you go about planning for this? The area is not a known dive site. Not dangerous, water is relatively calm and from snorkling vis is usually 70ft out of more.
NOTE: I will not dive in merky water or the day of or after a rainfall. The beach i am speaking of is 3 minutes from the rainforest so after a downpoor (almost everyday) there is ALOT of runoff.
many have gone fishing with spear guns there and seems pretty safe. I still want to make sure i dont do something crazy and kill myself in the process.

Please advise.
Frank

No Misses
09-19-2008, 12:16
1. There are a lot of little things that can happen. The one that you mention "Zip Tie on Mouthpiece breaking". I have seen this happen. Usually, it is because it has been put on too tight. Then again, too loose is also a concern. What can you do if this happens to you? You could switch to your octo. In an emergency, you can continue to use a reg without a mouthpiece. I have done this.

1a. I had a mouthpiece tear. I should have caught this in my predive check. But I did not check it. As soon as I hit the water. I knew something was wrong. The reg was breathing very wet. I switched to my octo and finished the dive.

The moral of the story is...Think then act. I could have panicked when I got that first mouthfull of water. The sensible thing to do was switch regs. Problem solved. Some people will say that I should have aborted the dive. I felt that completing the dive with my octo was an acceptable risk. YMMV

2. Planning shore dives with a max of 25 fsw. If the site is as you indicated (shallow, no/low current, good vis, little or no boat traffic, etc.) Planning will be minimal.
a. is there any current? yes/no. If you answered yes, can you swim into the current? Yes/no. if you ansered no, this is will be a drift dive. Plan your exit accordingly. If you answered yes (can swim into current), you should start your dive by swimming into the current. Then at your turn pressure (1/3 to 1/2 of your gas supply) swim back to your starting point with the current.
b. Is there tidal flow? Yes/no. If yes, then plan your dive so that you will not have to swim against the tide to get to your exit point.
c. Is there boat traffic? yes/no. If yes, always tow a dive buoy/flag. Listen for approaching boats before surfacing. If no you may be able to just post a dive flag on the beach or swim one out and anchor it in the area you will dive.
d. Gas Management. The conservative approach would be to turn your dive at 1/3 cylinder capacity. 1/3 out + 1/3 back =1/3 reserve in your cylinder for emergencies.
e. It might be a good idea to file a dive plan with somebody on shore. If you do not return by the agreed upon time They can notify the authorities and get the search started in the right area.

Happy diving.

HAMradioDIVER
09-19-2008, 12:38
Hey,

Thanks for the info...good info on things i should think about prior. Being new, one will have a tendancy to overlook even the simplest of things.

The reason i plan on the shore dives is well to get some dives in. It will be a while before i can go out on a boat again to some nice spots here on the eastern part of the island. Well, thanks again and if any other things pop up that i should think about please let me know.

Frank

trekkindave
09-19-2008, 17:36
From my limited experience... Diving to 25 feet from the shore should give you more time on air then your tank holds... I would follow the rules above with the 1/3 rule or research an other method of gas management that appeals to you.

HAMradioDIVER
09-21-2008, 11:33
Another quick question. I read on this months issue of scubadiving magazine of a "donward current pulling on a diver". I havent heard of this, or read in my OW manual. Is this common, and could this have attributed to that diving accident with that guy who descended and died that is on youtube?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Frank