PDA

View Full Version : Dive Slate

porsche060
08-14-2007, 12:01
Anybody recommend a cheap dive slate?

TAH 73
08-14-2007, 14:02
Make sure the one you pick up has an attached clip, the one I picked up was $1 cheaper, than the others, I then paid $4 for a clip.

namabiru
08-14-2007, 21:44
Yes!!! Go to Wally World, or Toys-B-Us, and get a child's etch-a-sketch. That is, if you just want a communication device.

If you want something of more substance, how's about you try making your own? Trot over to the DIY form, where someone's now making one out of PVC pipe. You could also use window blinds, or someone else is using a bleach container.

All your friends would think you were incredibly smart.

porsche060
08-15-2007, 14:30
How exactly does a dive slate operate. I see the writing object is a pencil

Is it such that you can lift something on it and erase what you have written to write some more?

WV Diver
08-15-2007, 14:34
Yes!!! Go to Wally World, or Toys-B-Us, and get a child's etch-a-sketch. That is, if you just want a communication device.

I think you mean magna-doodle. They work great.

skdvr
08-15-2007, 17:19
To erase off a normal dive slate I use a green scratch pad.

Phil

namabiru
08-15-2007, 20:59
Well, you can get a nice expensive slate which will allow you to erase and rewrite. The folk at the dive shop in Naha had them for teaching. Most of them, though, you can't just erase and rewrite.

Yeah, sorry, I meant a magna-doodle, not an etch-a-sketch. That would kind of suck, spinning the dials to make letters... :D

But if you're just in the market for an inexpensive slate which you can erase and write more, dead serious. Go get yourself a magna doodle. For the $2 or $3 it will cost, give it a run.

thor
08-16-2007, 08:51

I know it's mostly plastic but, no rust issues?

WV Diver
08-16-2007, 08:57

I know it's mostly plastic but, no rust issues?
Some rust issues. The pen is plastic but it has a metal tip. The tip will rust no matter how well you try to take care of it. The good news is that it works just great anyway and you shouldn't even notice a performance issue at all.

I cut off the little clip that comes with it, drilled a hole in the corner and but a key ring through the hole. Then I attached a speghettie cord style lanyard to it with another key ring on the other end and then used a carabiner to clip to my BC. The lanyward is nothing more than the key ring style speghettie cord that goes around your wrist.

I have used it for several years and it has performed great fo me.

thor
08-16-2007, 09:03
You're going to have to draw me a diagram of that setup. Can you use your magnadoodle?

WV Diver
08-16-2007, 09:36
You're going to have to draw me a diagram of that setup. Can you use your magnadoodle? I wish I had a good picture of it for you. Of course I don't but I will get you one. Not sure how long it will take. But I will get it sooner or later. I am digital camera challenged at the moment.

cummings66
08-16-2007, 12:00
There is a difference in magna doodles, some of them write better than others.

Vercingetorix
08-16-2007, 12:33
To erase off a normal dive slate I use a green scratch pad.Too abrasive and may scratch the surface.

I use Soft Scrub.

Coaster
08-16-2007, 12:52
I use Soft Scrub.[/quote]

Me too. Hey.... are you diving CSSP tomorrow (Friday)?

ertechsg
08-16-2007, 12:58
ST has many of them what do you like. I perfer one to clip to my d-ring

CompuDude
08-16-2007, 13:00
I prefer my wetnotes to a slate, although there are situations where a slate is preferable.

dallasdivergirl
08-16-2007, 13:20
I gave my slate away. I think I will try the magna doodle.

namabiru
08-16-2007, 13:53

Oh yeah? Does it make a difference in where you purchase the magna doodle, or what brand? I don't know what brand mine is, but I got it at the Toys-Be-Us in Japan, and it's been pretty good.

Vercingetorix
08-16-2007, 14:06
Me too. Hey.... are you diving CSSP tomorrow (Friday)?Nope, won't be there. I can't ever dive on Friday because I work to support my watery habit.

On the other hand, I'm not working this Friday, because I'm heading for Freeport to dive the Texas Flower Gardens this weekend.

nferra2
08-16-2007, 14:10
Wow, what a way to rub it in that you are diving the flower gardens vs CSSP! Anywho, enjoy your trip.

CompuDude
08-16-2007, 14:40

Oh yeah? Does it make a difference in where you purchase the magna doodle, or what brand? I don't know what brand mine is, but I got it at the Toys-Be-Us in Japan, and it's been pretty good.
Not likely. I've read reports of people being very happy with the cheap magna-doodle knockoffs they got for $3 at Wally World...

Coaster
08-16-2007, 21:50
[quote=Vercingetorix;26779
On the other hand, I'm not working Friday, because I'm heading for Freeport to dive the Texas Flower Gardens this weekend.[/quote]

Hope that the trip works out and you don't get Dean'ed. I'm headed to CSSP.

namabiru
08-17-2007, 11:03
Not likely. I've read reports of people being very happy with the cheap magna-doodle knockoffs they got for $3 at Wally World...

Which is probably what mine was. It was only Y200 or Y300 or something, and doesn't have a brand name or markings.

Now, I found out mine had some hidden cardboard to keep the screen from shifting around, and the way I found this out was it finally got wet enough to remove itself from the slate while I was underwater. But nevertheless, it still works. If and when this one gives up the ghost, I'll go get another el cheapo one. There's a Toys-Be-Us in Doha, I found.

greyzen
08-20-2007, 13:57
funny enough, my LDS is trying to sell me a 10 dollar one that they swear I'll never need to upgrade

namabiru
08-20-2007, 17:18
Bah. For $10 you can get 3 knockoffs, and that should last you a lifetime :)

WV Diver
08-22-2007, 11:47
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r218/Wizard41/Stuff1/scubaMike.jpgscuba 2Mike.jpg (http://forum.scubatoys.com/scuba%202Mike.jpg)

Here you go Thor.

shari75202
09-15-2007, 03:05
That's why I LOVE this forum. You can always find the coolest ideas here ! Thanks

Capt Hook
09-15-2007, 08:15
My wife has been wanting a slate and I think you guys just provided the solution!
Thanks.

wxboy911
09-15-2007, 08:20
By the looks of it the Magna doodle will be a good addtition to my rig-I am going to try and have one by my next dive. Thanks for the pics.

ian
09-15-2007, 11:11
The folk at the dive shop in Naha had them for teaching.

There's a Toys-Be-Us in Doha, I found.

Hmmm...or shouls I say A-ha?

Am I sensing a location theme, here? :smilie39:

BTW - good luck in your new position!

gtjason2000
09-15-2007, 12:59
ever get any funny looks carrying around the magna doodle?

terrillja
09-15-2007, 14:46
I have a trident glow in the dark slate. I had one of those re-writable slates, the quest mini, I believe, but found that a lot of times, I wanted to take a note of something, or write a lot, which those are not good for. Those are good for writing one word, maybe 2, other than that, the letters blur together. It was worth it to me to get the glow in the dark, since we have very low light penetration in NH. No point in spending money on something cheap if it won't do the job.

WV Diver
09-16-2007, 07:59
ever get any funny looks carrying around the magna doodle?
Funny looks don't mean anything to me, I could care less. But I do enjoy the looks people get when they find out what I use it for.

mdwestgrl
09-16-2007, 19:16
I have a $5 dive slate that goes onto my arm with a velcro band and has 4 flip pages that you can use the front and back along with a pencil in a holder that works great. Just big enough to use and small enough to not be in the way. Have used it several times and love it!! Highly recommend one!! Makes communicating so much easier!! For me anyway, my husband just takes out his reg. and says what he wants to me :smiley2: show off.