PDA

View Full Version : Gas Thief

09-19-2008, 22:43
This week in Bonaire I lost some of my Nitrox. We go to the shop, pick a few bottles and test them, then mark them, sign the log and tag the tank with the destination. I tagged one each day for a shore dive at night.

Went to the tank drop off the first evening and my tank was not there. The air station was closed and only air was available. I picked up a few tanks for the other divers and carried them back. At that point I saw a diver coming the equipment station with a Nitrox tank on his BC. I left to get more air for the other members of the group and when I got back there was my Nitrox tank setting with the empties. This happened two more times this week. I was pretty ticked off and wanted to let him know he has stolen my gas, but I let it pass. Hope he gets bent on it.

Anyone else lose gas at resorts?

It kind of messed up my dive plans changing to air when I'd planned Nitrox.

Diver Kat
09-19-2008, 22:49
Might have been clueless to the system being used ... I know one of our trips to Bonaire, whenever we tested & tagged a Nitrox tank, it left with us. If it was for a night dive, it stayed in the back of the truck till that night ...

warscout2
09-20-2008, 12:36
I bet that guy had no idea what he was doing he probably just grabed them thinking it would be cool.

thagar
09-20-2008, 20:01
Was it your personal tank? Obvously if you didn't pay for nitrox then it isn't your tank.

09-21-2008, 02:22
Might have been clueless to the system being used ... I know one of our trips to Bonaire, whenever we tested & tagged a Nitrox tank, it left with us. If it was for a night dive, it stayed in the back of the truck till that night ...

No, everyone gets briefed on the system and knows how to get gas. I didn't "pay" for it, but I did. It was all part of the package I paid for, so the gas was mine. Tested, logged and tank marked. Next year they go in the room.

fire diver
09-21-2008, 03:53
I would have taken them with me. tagging them and then leaving them sit just sounds wrong to me. Too much risk of this, or something else happening before you came back. Do you re-analyze the gas after picking up the tanks, or just hope that it didn't get messed with?

09-22-2008, 00:17
I would have taken them with me. tagging them and then leaving them sit just sounds wrong to me. Too much risk of this, or something else happening before you came back. Do you re-analyze the gas after picking up the tanks, or just hope that it didn't get messed with?

Nope, just checked the pressure to make sure it was what was in it when I checked the mix and took my dive.

Crimediver
09-22-2008, 07:19
Wow, you got off light. When I first saw the header I thought someone may have siphoned out your gas tank...
That would have really been expensive.

Bigg_Budd
09-22-2008, 11:11
Dude, once I sign off on Nitrox those tanks don't leave my sight. I can't imagine leaving them in the wide open for any joe schmo to play with...

Sounds like a sloppy resort...

Damselfish
09-22-2008, 12:25
I wouldn't assume sloppy resort, I've seen a number of places do it this way and they are well thought of places. Perhaps not ideal, and involves a level of trust we tend not to have at home, but it's not that uncommon at tropical resorts to analyze and mark tanks and leave them for a night dive or to be loaded onto a boat later by the crew. If you dive with an op that works this way and don't like the idea it may be an argument for carrying your own analyzer. (Heck, if you leave a tank of air for later or take one from a pile there's no guarantee someone hasn't messed with that either.)

If I knew someone had done this I would certainly say something. I wouldn't start by accusing them of stealing my tank, but how they must have accidentally taken the wrong tank, explain the system to them if they truly act clueless, whatever. If I wasn't happy with the response or it happened again (or maybe in any event) I would mention to the op that this was happening and that they need to make clear to their customers what the routine was or whatever. I would not have let it happen for 3 days without doing anything.

09-23-2008, 01:10
I wouldn't assume sloppy resort, I've seen a number of places do it this way and they are well thought of places. Perhaps not ideal, and involves a level of trust we tend not to have at home, but it's not that uncommon at tropical resorts to analyze and mark tanks and leave them for a night dive or to be loaded onto a boat later by the crew. If you dive with an op that works this way and don't like the idea it may be an argument for carrying your own analyzer. (Heck, if you leave a tank of air for later or take one from a pile there's no guarantee someone hasn't messed with that either.)

If I knew someone had done this I would certainly say something. I wouldn't start by accusing them of stealing my tank, but how they must have accidentally taken the wrong tank, explain the system to them if they truly act clueless, whatever. If I wasn't happy with the response or it happened again (or maybe in any event) I would mention to the op that this was happening and that they need to make clear to their customers what the routine was or whatever. I would not have let it happen for 3 days without doing anything.
Thanks, good advice and I'll try it next time. We did our own analysis and clearly marked the tanks with our names and destination (specific boat or pool area). I got tired of lugging tanks around and let them deliver them. My mistake and I won't make it again.

Thanks all for you comments.

K

bane51031
01-07-2009, 12:21
I wouldn't be happy but. I personally would take them with me to avoid this problem.