PDA

View Full Version : does this look wrong to anyone else?

Black-Gorrilla
09-21-2008, 01:25
YouTube - Technical Diving - Gear Removal/Replacement (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc1o-_HagSM&feature=related)

watch the video and find the mistakes...
lets discuss.

Daz
09-21-2008, 02:48
I'll start off with one:

So, is that a primary reg or just an anchor on a seven foot hose?

fire diver
09-21-2008, 03:48
did you notice he pulls the rig back on by the inflator?

yeah, I LOVE breathing silt. I like to regularly drag my primary along the bottom for fun. :(

lemon lime
09-21-2008, 06:40
I caught the inflator hose assist as well :smiley5:

As for letting the long hose go, the guy addressed that in the comments section.

Most agencies/instructors don't teach this skill with twinsets (and it can be more difficult in drysuits). The longhose is left hanging as it avoids entanglement in it as the unit is put back on. We've found this to be the best and safest way, even in silty environments. Before 2004 we taught with lh intact, but too many problems with hose entanglement. Cheers!

Splitlip
09-21-2008, 07:23
The guy could have just well did this mid water (unless he needed the botoom as a reference) because his buoyancy control was good. That would have kept the primary out of the sand.
Also noted he had nothing (no compass) on his left wrist which made it much easier.

Dive-aholic
09-21-2008, 09:42
I think the guy did an excellent job. Granted, I don't toss my primary reg down when I do that, but he does address the issue. For those of you that are making criticisms of the video, where's your video? ;)

I'll even take a video of you doing it in a single tank... :D

DiverD66
09-21-2008, 09:57
All I'll say on this is that it is MUCH harder than he makes it look... I credit him for even being able to do it...

crpntr133
09-21-2008, 11:56
I caught the inflator hose assist as well :smiley5:

As for letting the long hose go, the guy addressed that in the comments section.

Most agencies/instructors don't teach this skill with twinsets (and it can be more difficult in drysuits). The longhose is left hanging as it avoids entanglement in it as the unit is put back on. We've found this to be the best and safest way, even in silty environments. Before 2004 we taught with lh intact, but too many problems with hose entanglement. Cheers!

That is the reason why there is a clip on the end of most long hoses.

Black-Gorrilla
09-21-2008, 12:10
I think the guy did an excellent job. Granted, I don't toss my primary reg down when I do that, but he does address the issue. For those of you that are making criticisms of the video, where's your video? ;)

if you post a video to "show how it's done" would you not want to show it done the right way?

oh, and by the way. i did not post the video i found to pick at the guy for doing something wrong, i posted it as a discussion subject so that we can learn from it.

in_cavediver
09-21-2008, 14:27

I sent my video to America's Funniest Home video's.

Then agian, I've done it twice. The first was a 20-30ft in 40 degree water in a drysuit. That taught me that you really shouldn't do that unless you absolutely must.

The second time was in the bottom of a diving well (17ft) and I have a shorty on. MUCH easier. That taught me the key is the balance of ballast vs buoyancy that matters.

You never want to do this if you are 20lbs+ positive and your gear - that your taking off - is all your wieght. Well - unless you absolutely have to.

in_cavediver
09-21-2008, 14:33

if you post a video to "show how it's done" would you not want to show it done the right way?

oh, and by the way. i did not post the video i found to pick at the guy for doing something wrong, i posted it as a discussion subject so that we can learn from it.

I don't know - when I did it the first time - I clipped my long hose off and it was a PIA to deal with when putting it back on. The second time - it dangled and did not get fouled behind my back. In a wetsuit - it may not matter as much. In a squeezed drysuit - it does have the potential to be a real PIA.

I'd be pretty cautious stating what is 'The Right Way'. Some very expierenced divers may not agree. (for the record - two IANTD instructors I have taken classes with disagreed as well. One was a clip it off, the other was let in dangle - both in 2002)

jbres1
09-21-2008, 16:13
All I would like to add is I wish I had his trim with the removaland donning of his back plate and wing double set up.
You can pick on the little things, but ya gotta give this guy points for good trim .
Jim Breslin

Black-Gorrilla
09-21-2008, 16:31
oh, this guy does get 2 thumbs up for his trim control.

Dive-aholic
09-28-2008, 17:49

Like in_cavediver said, what is the right way?

I think for the most part, he did a great job and most people should strive to have that kind of trim and buoyancy control.

namabiru
09-30-2008, 03:19
Ack... I guess you get overly paranoid, living in a corner of the world where sand inevitably becomes a permanent part of your environment (your house, your car, your kit, your work clothes, your food...), but I definitely wouldn't have been plopping my primary down on the ocean floor to collect sandy bits.

I also, though, have to give props to him for keeping the buoyancy control that he did. I might start out right, but then manage to find my legs dropping at one point and fins scraping the bottom...

CompuDude
09-30-2008, 17:11
He did an excellent job. I don't like the reg in the mud thing, either, but I can understand and respect his stated position on the matter.

Pulling on the inflator hose like that, however, was, IMO, a pretty big mistake. THAT could be a problem.

Other than that, he did an excellent job... I'll have to try that sometime!

I think it would be interesting to try it perhaps 10' off the bottom, however, rather than that close. It would keep the reg out of the muck, for starters. :D

nikefreekz
10-06-2008, 04:16
excellent trim i must say, no doubt about that!