PDA

View Full Version : Light Recommendations?

troyds
08-14-2007, 12:46
Looking to picking up a light before our next dive trip. I am looking for something that fits in a BC pocket and will work good for looking under ledges and into dark spots. We mostly dive in Panama City. It would also be nice if it put out enough light to be a back up for night dives. Around $45-50 is the budget. Any suggestions or light to avoid?

thesmoothdome
08-14-2007, 12:58
Might try http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=UKSL6 or http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=TorrentLedLight . Either of these will get the job done for you.

troyds
08-14-2007, 15:03
I am going to guess that the Princeton Tec light is not as heavy and is smaller than the SL6 is that a safe bet?

BSea
08-14-2007, 15:37
I have 1 of those princeton tec lights. It's flooded on me twice, so now it's just a flashlight I use around the house. I have a buddy who has the other light, and he thinks it's too big.

My suggestion is to spend a little more & get a more powerful light, yet smaller. I haven't seen the OMS LED VEGA (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=OMSVegaLight), but I would tend to think it's a better light in a smaller package. It looks similar to the Salvo Rat Jr. except that it's a 3 watt LED vrs a 2 watt for the rat jr. The specs don't give the beam angle, but I would think it's at least as good as the rat jr.
Both lights use double o-ring seals where as the princeton tec only has 1 o-ring seal. I don't know how the other light is sealed.

troyds
08-14-2007, 16:17
That vega is a pretty nice light. I think that might be a little more than I am looking for.

uzzell20
08-14-2007, 19:17
i have a princeton tech light and never had a problem, they offer a lifetime warranty as well

CompuDude
08-14-2007, 20:05
I'd pick up a simple, reliable UK light, in your place.

My needs are different. But it sounds like yours would be well met by a UK, like a Q40 or SL6.

frankc420
08-14-2007, 20:40
I just bought the Princeton Miniwave, it's a 4 C-cell light, with 3 LED's. The light coming out of it is blueish white, and has wide coverage. I would guess it weighs about 1-1.5lbs out of the box (it comes with batteries).

I would think it could easily fit in a BC pocket.

troyds
08-14-2007, 20:55
Looks like we will be using two Super Pelilite Flashlights. A friend has loaned them to us to use. So this will gime me a shot to test out a light and then compair it to some of the lights listed above. Thanks for all of your replies.

cummings66
08-15-2007, 13:22
I have a UK light and it's been really good for me.

Wolfie2012
08-15-2007, 13:46
I have both a UK and a princeton tec and both have been great so far!

gtjason2000
08-17-2007, 08:52
Whatever brand you decide I recommend leds the light is much better.

divingbuddy
08-17-2007, 11:53
Over the years I have 'acquired' a number of back up/smaller lights...

My favourites?

The OMS Vega is very bright and will fit nicely into any pocket.

The Heiser LED back up light is incredibly bright, and attaches nicely to my harness strap with a small loop of surgical tubing and a clip on my shoulder D-ring.

The Heiser is quite a bit more money than the Vega. Either light would make a great choice.

I do have a UK SL6 that I am still fond of, but is not nearly as bright or as compact as the other two.

Just my two cents...Cheers!