PDA

View Full Version : Good, simple camera for a new diver

DiverD66
09-21-2008, 10:32
I know I could read for hours thru all of these posts and probably be more confused then when I started, so I'm hoping that by posting separate, I can make it easier for me (I hope.. LOL)... I only have 14 dives to date, but am interested in getting a SIMPLE, small, digital camera for some underwater shots... Does anyone have any suggestions???
Thanks bunches for any info you have :smiley31:

tc_rain
09-21-2008, 13:27
I have had an Oly SP350 and currently a Nikon Coolpix L11. I don't like the Nikon. The Oly is in a complete different class but they discontinued the model. You might look at what replaced the SP350. It was a great camera and I am sure the replacing model is nice too. I am sorry I bought the Nikon but it will work until it dies on me .

drako
09-21-2008, 14:14
If you want a simple small camera you should get one of the sealife ones they have here. They arent great as far as image quality but they are cheap, small, simple, and they got the job done if all you want is to show photos of you diving/being with friends etc.

Aussie
09-21-2008, 21:03
Nikon Underwater Digital Camera and Reviews, Ikelite (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=NikonUnderwaterDigitalCamera )

I would have a look at this. It has an Ikelite housing which are very good and its well prices (you even get a discount for being a forum member)

Regards Mark

cajunfla
09-21-2008, 21:40
Check out the INTOVA line of UW cameras. The IC-600, a 6mp, can be found for $150 - $170, which includes the waterproof housing. They also make a 8mp, the IC-800.

The viewing screen is not the best, but the photos come out real good, and it also does video too.:smilie40:

CaptainRon
09-22-2008, 13:26
I second the sealife cameras for general snapshot type pictures. I have a reefmaster mini and it is very simple to use. Takes great pictures and videos with sound. All in a simple point and shoot type of camera.

RoyN
09-22-2008, 14:17
Another option is the canon camera with the underwater housing. You cannot go wrong with it!

MSilvia
09-22-2008, 14:59
Do you have a digital camera already? If so, see if an underwater housing is made for it. You can't beat something you already have if you want to avoid making a big investment.

In fact, I have a Canon A40 with a housing I'm not using since I upgraded, and I'd be willing to give you a good deal on it. It's nothing fancy, but it takes good still shots and even short videos.

Souvy
09-22-2008, 17:30
I got my girlfriend a Sealife Reefmaster Mini from Scubatoys and she loves it. I had picked up the DC800 (which I absolutely love) and she wanted something a bit simpler, so we went with the Reefmaster.

One thing to note though is that the Reefmaster is one unit, so there's no camera to take out of the housing. It's simple, relatively cheap (I think around $225 with the discount), wicked easy maintenance, and it takes pretty decent shots.

Sansho
09-22-2008, 22:45
Just bought a Canon 870IS with a Canon waterproof case (DC-17). Haven't used it underwater yet .... getting used to the camera above water first. It has a wide angle lens, which is a plus.

Vercingetorix
09-22-2008, 23:12
I use the Canon A620 with a housing. Limiting factor is that it does not accept the 8gig High Density SD cards; just the 2gig standard SD. Takes great pictures and videos in ambient light above and below the surface.

The newer Canons accept the 8gig.

scubadiver888
09-23-2008, 20:46
Just as a side note, how is your buoyancy control? Every dive I've been on in the Caribbean has a few people will cameras. There is always AT LEAST one who floats to the surface because he is too preoccupied with his camera.

It was watching guys who seemed pretty bright and comparable to me that made me decide to avoid a camera and focus the next 30 dives on buoyancy control. I'm up to 50 dives now and figure by the time I get to 60 I should be ready for a camera.

I'm also waiting until I have all my own gear. If you are using rental gear, you will have to work on your buoyancy with every new set up. If you have all your own equipment, once you figure out your required weight it should not change.

Darrell

P.S. I've decided to get a Canon G9. I'm still undecided on the housing but leaning toward the Ikelite.

DevilDiver
10-03-2008, 10:06
I don't know if you have looked at this yet but Scuba Toys has the Sealife DC600 on sale for $299.

Sealfe DC600 Digital Camera, SeaLife (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=DC600DigitalCamera)

SynCitizen
10-03-2008, 11:36
Any one have input on the gopro cameras?
My motorcycle group uses them at trackdays and general riding with pretty decent results. It comes with a waterproof case but have not heard of anyone diving with one.