PDA

View Full Version : Removing old Model Paint

GIFFMANN
09-22-2008, 15:02
I have a Steel 72 that my folks got me when I was 13. Course, being a 13 year old, I quickly put my name on the cylinder using Testor's Model Paint. Tanks is an old Dacor with a thick paint/epoxy coating. I'd like to remove the testors. Any ideas?

Thanks!

MSilvia
09-22-2008, 15:07
Paint thinner, Goof Off, or elbow grease.

CompuDude
09-22-2008, 15:16
Paint over the old paint with new paint that matches the tank's paint. Problem solved, no damage to the underlying paint!

GIFFMANN
09-22-2008, 15:27
Paint over the old paint with new paint that matches the tank's paint. Problem solved, no damage to the underlying paint!
Yeah, cept it's a funky blue. Would be hard to match and I'm sure I'd end up with something that looked worse than it does now.

Crimediver
09-22-2008, 17:00
If nothing else takes it off first you may try PVC pipe cleaner. It takes off allmost anything like that but use sparingly.

Crimediver
09-22-2008, 17:03
I also had an old Dacor with that blue vinyl covering. I wanted to strip it off but it was almost bulletproof. The inside also had the brown uerethane coating that required a lot of tumbling to remove. If I did not dive vintage gear it would be more trouble than it was worth to fix it up. It has to be a labor of love.

CompuDude
09-22-2008, 17:25
Yeah, cept it's a funky blue. Would be hard to match and I'm sure I'd end up with something that looked worse than it does now.

Ok, then assuming you can match the testor's paint you originally used (which you should, since stable colors are the whole point with those paints), see if you can paint over THAT. Turn it into a big ring around the neck.

I put a design on all of my tanks anyway, to distinguish them from the crowd. No names, since I know I might want to sell the tanks someday (avoiding this very issue) but a simple design that's easily recognizable but non-specific as to me, personally.

http://h2ogeek.com/divegear/misc/HP100-IMG_1948%20(Small).JPG

drako
09-22-2008, 19:35
Acetone and elbow grease. you can always sand it off....i would get a light grit and start wet sanding it. Or like everyone else said...paint it.

GIFFMANN
09-22-2008, 20:13
Found some reducer in the garage that contains MEK and acetone. Worked like a charm.

Thanks for the assist guys!