PDA

View Full Version : Oceanic DataMask HUD

Guyburger
07-11-2007, 08:49
Other than some early test reports I have not seen anything about the Oceanic DataMask HUD from anyone that has actually purchased and is using one. I would like to hear if you love yours or otherwise. They seem very cool but are they worth the big bucks?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Guyburger</DIV>

georoc01
07-11-2007, 09:51
I have tried it in a pool and it is cool. My understanding is that it doesn't ship until September, so I am not sure other than field tests, how many people have actually had one for day to day use.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Currently I use a Veo250 and have found it good enough for my diving. Eventually I am looking at getting a wireless setup like the Atom 2.0. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

Venio
07-11-2007, 10:03
I have tried it in a pool and it is cool. My understanding is that it doesn't ship until September, so I am not sure other than field tests, how many people have actually had one for day to day use.
<div></div>
<div>Currently I use a Veo250 and have found it good enough for my diving. Eventually I am looking at getting a wireless setup like the Atom 2.0. </div>
<div></div>
<div></div>
<div></div>

I'm with georoc01, I also have the 250 and want a wireless wrist computer in the future. I can't really see the benefit of the HUD mask especially for $1500.

Blindref757
07-11-2007, 10:26
I hear that they are already working on DataMask II--it has all of the integrated HUD stuff that DataMask has, but it also has a built in robotic arm that slaps you in the back of the head if you get too close on air or deco time!smileys/smiley20.gif

RonFrank
07-11-2007, 11:23
Other than some early test reports I have not seen anything about the Oceanic DataMask HUD from anyone that has actually purchased and is using one. I would like to hear if you love yours or otherwise. They seem very cool but are they worth the big bucks?
<div></div>
<div></div>
<div></div>
<div>Guyburger</div></font>

Seems like a great way to loose a $1500 mask! smileys/smiley1.gif

Turn your head in current, and woosh, now you are without a mask AND a computer!

cummings66
07-11-2007, 12:00
To my way of thinking if you've got the money to burn and like toys go for it, but as for me. Well, I've got a lot of other things I want to buy long before I'd get the thing.

ertechsg
07-11-2007, 13:41
Bet nobody places it ontop of their head. Which we were all taught not to do anyway right.

JahJahwarrior
07-11-2007, 14:19
I love my HUD!

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1421/779290022_c8fd682dd4_o.jpg

Now, who is Oceanic? Never heard of them. Love my Date-a-Mask though!

(yes, Jesus loves it too.)

jacewindu
07-11-2007, 15:44
forget the mask - that picture is worth $1500. hilarioussmileys/smiley36.gif

ScubaToys Joe
07-11-2007, 16:38
Hey jahjahwarrior now that is funny! Do you need a job? we could use minds like yours.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>The Oceanic Datamask isactually shipping on the 25th of July... </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I dove it back in March on our Cozumel trip and let me tell you it is worth the money... But then againI don't have to pay for it! </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Joe </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

ertechsg
07-11-2007, 17:17
Hey jahjahwarrior now that is funny! Do you need a job? we could use minds like yours.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>The Oceanic Datamask isactually shipping on the 25th of July... </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I dove it back in March on our Cozumel trip and let me tell you it is worth the money... But then againI don't have to pay for it! </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Joe </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV> Poor Larry, credit card bills max, equipment alwaysmissing. Hellon the front pageof the shop site you even seeJoe huging people he gaveFREE equipment to.

ScubaToys Larry
07-12-2007, 06:38
[Poor Larry, credit card bills max, equipment alwaysmissing. Hellon the front pageof the shop site you even seeJoe huging people he gaveFREE equipment to.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>If Joe wasn't 6'8, 285, and a little nuts... he'd be gone... believe you me!http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley18.gif</DIV>

Guyburger
07-12-2007, 06:53
Larry,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Can you give us some idea about how many people are on the Scubatoys list for the HUD mask? What will be your initial and monthly allocation of the masks? The real question is, if I ordered one today how long would I expect to wait to get it?</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Thanks,</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Guyburger</DIV>

ScubaToys Larry
07-12-2007, 18:12
Larry,
<div></div>
<div>Can you give us some idea about how many people are on the Scubatoys list for the HUD mask? What will be your initial and monthly allocation of the masks? The real question is, if I ordered one today how long would I expect to wait to get it?</div>
<div></div>
<div>Thanks,</div>
<div></div>
<div>Guyburger</div>

My buds at Oceanic take pretty good care of me. I've got enough to cover the pre-orders and still some to have sit on the shelves - so you can call us up, and we'll get one heading to you the day we crack open the box - which should be soon!

dk2943
07-12-2007, 23:23
I dove the mask in the Keys. Oceanic sponsored a test dive and I got to take part, along with about 9 others. First, the mask is allegedly made up to fit most everybody, and, it did. Everyone of us felt that the mask fit properly, and it was a diverse group of men and women. The computer sits on the bottom of the right side, partially blocking the visibility on that side, but minimally so. The mask was little heavy, but nothing distracting.

In the water, it was great. To look at your computer, you don't have to find a console, don't even have to turn your wrist, you simply glance down to your right! The numbers were clear and easy to read. Having said that, it took me a while to properly seat the mask on my head to get the clearest view of the numbers. There are two buttons on the mask that are easy to use. The mask is air integrated and does air, nitrox and has a gauge mode, with lots of optional settings. I really did not get a chance to play with it.

The only possible drawback is the price. $1,500.00 is a lot to pay for a mask and computer, but the convenience of the computer does seem to make it worthwhile, if you can afford it.

Hope this helps.

frankc420
07-14-2007, 11:28
I tried it on at the ST party, wasn't impressed, but I wouldn't mind owning one. Then again, I dive with a mask that I feel is the best out there, Oceanic Shadow.

There's no way I would pay that price tag for it though, overpriced IMO, way over priced!

Does it come with a 3 year warranty? smileys/smiley1.gif

Mooosse
07-15-2007, 08:21
Test drove this one as well, and still bought the Oceanic 250 - could not justify it that is for sure!! The only problem that I did have with it is when diving in bright light, and I have to agree for 1500.00 it had better come with a LIFETIME guarentee!!!
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

Lucky(AR)
07-16-2007, 20:13
i tried one out at a local dive shop in the pool and beside the hefty price it was hard for me to see the display hud at all times may have just been me but was really feeling it.

tx.lakerat
07-17-2007, 15:31
I'd love to have one.... But can't justify the cost.. it will probably come down at some point... Just keep waiting...

WaterRat
07-22-2007, 16:07
My wife just saw it in the magazine and thought it was the coolest thing. I was able to talk her into waiting until they added the night vision and GPS. Man I hope Oceanic doesn't add that stuff. http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley13.gif
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Ron</DIV>

Black-Gorrilla
07-22-2007, 22:32
absolutely love that pic.

i could never see my self paying that much for a mask... what if i lost it... what would i do with my self??
maybe if i win the lotto some day i'll try it out.

TommyB
07-22-2007, 23:06
hmmm
new UW camera or video gear
or new mask toy???

I'm thinking camera / vid gear--
even though pissing off money on toys is fun, I'll stick to what the wife
"told me to get" this time :)..

Yes, SWMBO no new toys-- Right gotcha dear..

SWMBO;
(noun, pronounced swimbo , as in (She Who Must Be Obyed)