PDA

View Full Version : Exercising B 4 a dive

maverick
09-23-2008, 20:06
I read that U shouldn't exercise B 4 a dive? Just would like 2 know why? Or is it ok 2 exercise B 4 a dive?

wgt
09-23-2008, 20:37
I read that U shouldn't exercise B 4 a dive? Just would like 2 know why? Or is it ok 2 exercise B 4 a dive?

The lore on exercise before a dive pertains to predisposition to bubbles from the formation of micronuclei (microscopic gas pockets expressed among tissues powerfully compressed and decompressed through muscular contraction). The dramatically changing pressures can reflect many G-forces to yield the nuclei. The nuclei, once formed, can then act as seeds for the release of nitrogen absorbed through the breathing of compressed gas (just as a single bubble in a glass of coke produces a continuous stream of bubbles, as it draws carbon dioxide from the surrounding liquid).

Oops, I just noticed that this is post 250. I extend my apologies to the ST diving community for this and the other 249 posts. It won't happen again.

maverick
09-24-2008, 01:19
Thanks 4 the explnation.

PvtStash
09-24-2008, 01:20
that it is actually Advantageous to exercise Prior to a dive as it facilitates gas exchange... (I do notice a difference also in my air usage, ie. I use less)...

I thought that exercise was contraindicated After a dive however...

MR.BLUE
09-24-2008, 01:59
I would think that if you maintained a regular workout schedule,...you shouldn't have to worry about working out on the day of your dive. The physical activity of diving alone could be considered as low impact cardio...of course you would't be hitting your target heart rate, hopefully!!
Consider your dive a Tai Chi workout.......totally ZEN.

wgt
09-24-2008, 06:40
Thanks 4 the explnation.

You're welcome, Mav. Any time.

wgt
09-24-2008, 07:11
I would think that if you maintained a regular workout schedule,...you shouldn't have to worry about working out on the day of your dive. The physical activity of diving alone could be considered as low impact cardio...of course you would't be hitting your target heart rate, hopefully!!
Consider your dive a Tai Chi workout.......totally ZEN.

The phenomenon is not apparently related to regularity of work-outs. Rather, it relates to the forces generated during the workouts. High-impacts and heavy loads are considered to be particularly risky forms of predive exercise, as they are most likely to generate pressure-related gas nuclei.

As for exercise levels during the dive, a relevant theory is that low levels of activity should be maintained at depth to limit peripheral circulation and hence on-gassing. During the safety stops, however, it has been suggested that moderately increased physical activity would facilitate off-gassing, as peripheral circulation increases.

divingyogini
09-29-2008, 13:39
Here's DAN's answers:

DAN Divers Alert Network (http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/faq/faq.aspx?faqid=133)
DAN Divers Alert Network (http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/faq/faq.aspx?faqid=166)

RoyN
09-29-2008, 13:56
I called DAN about that and they said that lifting weights can cause more cramps for you underwater. But then I get cramps anyway even if I don't exercise like 24 hours prior to diving. Other then that, its really up to you if you want to exercise. What about a full day of activity at work? Don't really know.

I had a divemaster who works out massive muscles one time and yes, he had the cramps underwater, very scary. Of couse, thats just him, don't know of anybody who has that problem, maybe others here might have some answers for you. ;)

Gombessa
09-29-2008, 14:15
I never lift weights, and I once got a leg cramp underwater. Logically, the conclusion that flows is that you're cramped if you do, cramped if you don't.