PDA

View Full Version : Pohnpei

09-24-2008, 01:21
I am traveling to Pohnpei next month. Are there any recommendations for shore dives from the group? How about dive shops (always need travel t-shirts and a few tanks)?

Thanks,
K

chinacat46
09-26-2008, 07:56
I was there in 2005 and stayed at the Pohnpei Village and dived with them. Don't think there were any shore dives. The diving was only okay compared to some of the other places I dove Micronesia. Threre is an atoll I didn't go to cause of the weather. That is supposed to be the best diving.

ScaredSilly
09-27-2008, 18:41
We visited in April of 2006 and stayed at the Village. To my knowledge there is no shore diving. We snorkeled one day and found it to be very shallow. Ie. less than a meter deep.

We dove Ant Atoll one day. Excellent diving. Also dove Manta Road a couple of times. Plus several other site within the main atoll. We also went out to Nan Madol which was good fun as were some hikes we did like to the top of Solken (??) Rock. Worth the stop over (we were on our way to Chuuk).

10-28-2008, 00:43
We visited in April of 2006 and stayed at the Village. To my knowledge there is no shore diving. We snorkeled one day and found it to be very shallow. Ie. less than a meter deep.

We dove Ant Atoll one day. Excellent diving. Also dove Manta Road a couple of times. Plus several other site within the main atoll. We also went out to Nan Madol which was good fun as were some hikes we did like to the top of Solken (??) Rock. Worth the stop over (we were on our way to Chuuk).

OK, I just got back. Only one dive operator, The Village, they did only boat dives and they were ok, not spectacular. Two day dives and one night dive. Interesting, but not fabulous.

If you are going bring your own gear. My dive buddy ended up with a medium BC and needed a large. They only have air, not nitrox. Good dives, good crew and DMs. Brought a DAN oxygen kit just in case, so they are somewhat prepared. Marshall Islands next month. I'll let you know how it is.

K

coral cowgirl
10-29-2008, 16:12
Thanks for the report 5513, looking forward to hearing about the Marshall Islands trip ~!