PDA

View Full Version : 3 certs in 3 weeks!

mm2002
09-25-2008, 16:25
In the last three weeks I completed AOW, rescue, and drysuit certs. After putting it off for almost a year, I'm excited to have them under my belt!
BTW, the rescue course is awesome...a must do for everyone in my opinion.

Foo2
09-25-2008, 16:29
Way to go! Sounds like you've been busy.

Rileybri
09-25-2008, 18:06
In the last three weeks I completed AOW, rescue, and drysuit certs. After putting it off for almost a year, I'm excited to have them under my belt!
BTW, the rescue course is awesome...a must do for everyone in my opinion.

Nice that opens up some sweet dive options for when you come on up to good old Lake Champlain for a dive and a beer! :smiley2:

cummings66
09-25-2008, 18:31
I agree, the courses you took are going to serve you well.

mm2002
09-25-2008, 19:33
Thanks my friends. Yes, I've learned a lot and there's much more to come. I got my DM materials, and have been working on that every evening. Man, tons more to learn there! I'm hoping to be a DM by early spring, and then on to IDC. Looks like I have a busy winter ahead of me, thank god for the drysuit! :smiley36:

frozenwarp
09-25-2008, 19:59
Congratulations mate, your well on your way.

Keep it up,
Brad

oh and i'll seocnd that YAY to drysuits

K9Pig
09-25-2008, 20:52
I finally got to get wet other than in the shower. It has been awhile for me... The visibilty was next to nothing, but the water temp was pretty warm, and it was deeper than the average person would expect.

Okay, Okay, I didn't go diving, but I did get wet... Short story.

Our local air unit got in to a vehicle pursuit and I manage to get behind the suspect car after as they bailed out of the car. Short foot pursuit and I caught one of the guys, but still one on the loose. Badgirl ran into the woods so Air supprot lost her. Call in the K9's, oh wait I'm here, and off we go.... Badgirl is spotted(75 yards ahead and K9 is target locked), four legs are faster than two, so K9 enroute. We here a splash and the rythmic barking of the K9 detaining the badgirl... WRONG again, She went into the farm pound alittle to far for K9 and she couldn't swim either... K9 is up his ears in the water still barking with his head barely sticking out of the water. We get there and I guess somehow I got volunteered to go get her. Evidently according to my partner there was a vote that I MISSED and I LOST. So off goes the good stuff and in goes the good guy saving Badgirl's dumb A** from drowning.
Here is where you wouldn't think a farm pond to be very deep, she manage to find the only hole in the pond... I was walking out to here because I THOUGHT she was just faking it. I kept telling her to just stand up and she'd be Okay, that's when I was about 4 feet from her and I was now diving in the farm pond.... I manage to keep my cool, practiced my rescue diving skills on her, and she only went under one other time, but nobody saw it...

So, today we got to practice water apprehensions with the K9's and they will now go into the water. Very COOL stuff.

Again Mark, keep up the training, and dive safe!!!

mm2002
09-25-2008, 21:07
Wow! Hell of a story there man! I'm glad you're OK, and hey, now the K9's are water certified! What's next for them, scuba? :smiley2:

Vercingetorix
09-25-2008, 22:33
Congrats on getting the certs. I agree with you about Rescue. Most fun you can have without a firm mattress.

Keep us apprised of your DM progress. Are you going for NAUI or PADI DM?

fisheater
09-25-2008, 22:44
Congrats!!

Rescue is a fun class, but damn was I tired afterwards.

I made the mistake of hanging around after I'd finished my final scenario to unofficially help my instructor with his OW class' first OW dive. They really needed the help and I found myself enjoying helping them, both on and under the water and while gearing up.

DM class next, I'm afraid.

emalebiga
09-25-2008, 23:14
I actually just got my DiveCon materials today. Pretty exciting. Next I would like to look at advanced nitrox and deco procedures.

Congrats on the progress.

navyhmc
09-25-2008, 23:34
Wow! Hell of a story there man! I'm glad you're OK, and hey, now the K9's are water certified! What's next for them, scuba? :smiley2:

K-9's get a Scooby Diver certification!!!:smilie39:

GIFFMANN
09-26-2008, 07:31
I finally got to get wet other than in the shower. It has been awhile for me... The visibilty was next to nothing, but the water temp was pretty warm, and it was deeper than the average person would expect.

Our local air unit got in to a vehicle pursuit and I manage to get behind the suspect car after as they bailed out of the car. Short foot pursuit and I caught one of the guys, but still one on the loose. Badgirl ran into the woods so Air supprot lost her. Call in the K9's, oh wait I'm here, and off we go.... Badgirl is spotted(75 yards ahead and K9 is target locked), four legs are faster than two, so K9 enroute. We here a splash and the rythmic barking of the K9 detaining the badgirl... WRONG again, She went into the farm pound alittle to far for K9 and she couldn't swim either... K9 is up his ears in the water still barking with his head barely sticking out of the water. We get there and I guess somehow I got volunteered to go get her. Evidently according to my partner there was a vote that I MISSED and I LOST. So off goes the good stuff and in goes the good guy saving Badgirl's dumb A** from drowning.
Here is where you wouldn't think a farm pond to be very deep, she manage to find the only hole in the pond... I was walking out to here because I THOUGHT she was just faking it. I kept telling her to just stand up and she'd be Okay, that's when I was about 4 feet from her and I was now diving in the farm pond.... I manage to keep my cool, practiced my rescue diving skills on her, and she only went under one other time, but nobody saw it...

So, today we got to practice water apprehensions with the K9's and they will now go into the water. Very COOL stuff.

I swear, the World Herald misses ALL of the good stories!

I'm in Omaha, as well. We'll have to hook up for some dives in the future.

Giff

K9Pig
09-26-2008, 07:34

I swear, the World Herald misses ALL of the good stories!

I'm in Omaha, as well. We'll have to hook up for some dives in the future.

Giff

Anytime... I didn't mention that we ended up in another state... It was also pretty low key as far as media goes...

Skred
09-26-2008, 08:05
Thanks my friends. Yes, I've learned a lot and there's much more to come. I got my DM materials, and have been working on that every evening. Man, tons more to learn there! I'm hoping to be a DM by early spring, and then on to IDC. Looks like I have a busy winter ahead of me, thank god for the drysuit! :smiley36:

Good stuff! Mucho congrats on what you've just accomplished! :finish::smiley32: :smiley32:

Best of luck with DM. I just finished it 2 weeks ago and it is one of the most personally rewarding things I've ever done. It's a whole new perspective.

mm2002
09-26-2008, 08:14
Keep us apprised of your DM progress. Are you going for NAUI or PADI DM?

Will do, I'm going PADI.

Congrats!!

Rescue is a fun class, but damn was I tired afterwards.

I made the mistake of hanging around after I'd finished my final scenario to unofficially help my instructor with his OW class' first OW dive. They really needed the help and I found myself enjoying helping them, both on and under the water and while gearing up.

DM class next, I'm afraid.

Yep, I love helping out with students. It's a very rewarding experience in my opinion.

Good stuff! Mucho congrats on what you've just accomplished! :finish::smiley32: :smiley32:

Best of luck with DM. I just finished it 2 weeks ago and it is one of the most personally rewarding things I've ever done. It's a whole new perspective.

Thank you! Yes, I'm very much looking forward to the experience. I've found that once you start going through more classes, it opens up a whole new world of diving. I wouldn't trade this for anything!

GIFFMANN
09-26-2008, 08:57
Anytime... I didn't mention that we ended up in another state... It was also pretty low key as far as media goes...

If you mean in CB, that's more like another country!!!!

GIFFMANN
09-26-2008, 08:57
Now, back on topic here, congrats MM! That's a lot of work in a short amount of time.

Charles R
09-26-2008, 09:45
Congrats Mark you will make a great DM and Instuctor. Did you talk with the Dive Shop about doing DM and IDC in a BP\W? I know some don't allow it.:smiley21:

3rdEye
09-26-2008, 10:07
cool man, sounds like a lot of fun. I would have liked to have done that this year as well.

mm2002
09-26-2008, 18:11
Congrats Mark you will make a great DM and Instuctor. Did you talk with the Dive Shop about doing DM and IDC in a BP\W? I know some don't allow it.:smiley21:

Thanks Charles! I've not asked specifically about the BP/W, but I have a BC, and plan to start diving it every once in a while. I'll probably use it in the first couple of OW dives with students, just because it'll be easier to teach them the basic stuff in familiar gear. After that, I think the BP/W would be good so they can see other gear configurations and choices. I really don't know if that's the right way of thinking, but it's a theory I'm toying around with. I do know that I wish I'd been introduced to different styles of equipment during my OW class. Matter of fact, I wish it had been a little more "gear oriented" in general. One of my goals as an instructor will be to provide a little more education about the equipment itself. That's one area that seems lacking in most OW classes (to me anyway).

K9Pig
09-26-2008, 20:57

That's for da*n sure!!!

Very interesting, but could someone explaining WHY some certifing agencies don't allow BP&W for DM or IDC. I have only two dives in reg/jack BC and the rest are in a BP&W.

Sorry, Mark don't mean to high jack your thread. Ted

mm2002
09-26-2008, 21:26
Very interesting, but could someone explaining WHY some certifing agencies don't allow BP&W for DM or IDC. I have only two dives in reg/jack BC and the rest are in a BP&W.

Hey, not a problem Ted. I'm curious also.

Catt99
09-26-2008, 23:06

That's for da*n sure!!!

Others with direct experience will probably chime in . . . but I believe (based on no direct personal knowledge) that the issue is not at all with certifying agencies but with LDS's - where most DMs and Instructors work - wanting their staff to wear gear that is available for purchase in the LDS. It doesn't help drive sales if staff that directly interacts with students choose to use gear not available for purchase in the LDS. Note that this issue is not necessarily BPW / BC specific -- I've read of similar restrictions / pressure from LDS concerning functionally similar gear of a brand not available in the LDS (i.e., wearing a DSS BPW in a shop that carries Halcyon but not DSS, or a Zeagle BC in a shop that carries ScubaPro but not Zeagle).

mm2002
09-27-2008, 10:13
Others with direct experience will probably chime in . . . but I believe (based on no direct personal knowledge) that the issue is not at all with certifying agencies but with LDS's - where most DMs and Instructors work - wanting their staff to wear gear that is available for purchase in the LDS. It doesn't help drive sales if staff that directly interacts with students choose to use gear not available for purchase in the LDS. Note that this issue is not necessarily BPW / BC specific -- I've read of similar restrictions / pressure from LDS concerning functionally similar gear of a brand not available in the LDS (i.e., wearing a DSS BPW in a shop that carries Halcyon but not DSS, or a Zeagle BC in a shop that carries ScubaPro but not Zeagle).

That is probably it in a nutshell. There is brand loyalty in LDS's as well as most other stores, and I can understand it to a point.

bsktcase93
11-19-2008, 15:13

Thanks Charles! I've not asked specifically about the BP/W, but I have a BC, and plan to start diving it every once in a while. I'll probably use it in the first couple of OW dives with students, just because it'll be easier to teach them the basic stuff in familiar gear. After that, I think the BP/W would be good so they can see other gear configurations and choices. I really don't know if that's the right way of thinking, but it's a theory I'm toying around with. I do know that I wish I'd been introduced to different styles of equipment during my OW class. Matter of fact, I wish it had been a little more "gear oriented" in general. One of my goals as an instructor will be to provide a little more education about the equipment itself. That's one area that seems lacking in most OW classes (to me anyway).

when i took my ow some of the dm's use the backplate and wings...i also took a refresher at one point and one of the dm's used it there toooo.