PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good entry level nitrox comp

Monty21CES
08-14-2007, 16:39
does anyone have a good entry level nitrox compatible computer they are looking to sell?

ScubaToys Joe
08-14-2007, 16:47
Well I'm not your everyday forum member but will I do?

We have a bunch of the Dacor Darwin's heading this way and we should have them here in the store early next week... The wrist computer will sell for $199.00 and has a pretty cool feature in that you can lock on the back lighting!

I will get them on the page as soon as I see them!

Thanks

Joe

WV Diver
08-14-2007, 17:03
Don't forget about the Aeries XR2.

ertechsg
08-14-2007, 17:23
My wife has the atmos 2 and its a nice comp basic adn easy to run for 299? Plus STgive you 10 % of the cost of computer off you nitrox class:smiley20:

WV Diver
08-14-2007, 17:30
My wife has the atmos 2 and its a nice comp basic adn easy to run for 299? Plus STgive you 10 % of the cost of computer off you nitrox class:smiley20: I don't know if there are any of these left around or not, they have been replaced by the XR2 some time back.

GONEHAWKN
08-14-2007, 18:01
React Pro is a decent 'puter too....i use one as my back-up. my main 'puter is the Aqualand Nx by Citizen....love 'em both.

uzzell20
08-14-2007, 18:44
i have a mares that i got with a package hear on ST and i love it because of its ease of use

nferra2
08-14-2007, 19:02
Thats a good price for a Nitrox Computer. I was trying to figure out what budget reg/octo/computer package I wanted and I think you may have helped me out. I think the next package should be

Tusa RS-130, Mares Brigade viper Octo, and Dacor Darwin Nitrox wrist Computer. For the Ultimate budget setup, you could add a Zeagle Scout. I might have to email for a price for that combo.

Quick question, If my wife and I are diving identical equiptment, at identical depths, do we both need computers? I will probably get two anyway (Especially at 199 for a nitrox), but I was just curious.

medic001918
08-14-2007, 19:11
It's a good idea in the event of a failure or if you should get separated. I know there are also some dive's that I've done with my fiance that we've done the same diving using different mixes. Or if you're diving with a group and you dive a slightly different profile, or split off with a group. For the $199 I just think it's a good idea for each diver to have their own.
Shane

nferra2
08-14-2007, 19:43
Hopefully we can get it in a package price and bring the price down even more. Just a few more posts to go, and we can knock it down some more.

frankc420
08-14-2007, 20:43
I would highly recommend two separate dive computers. For obvious reasons :)

Splitlip
08-14-2007, 20:47
Don't even consider sharing a computer.

Potentially different gasses, potentially different profiles how do you keep track. Might as well use the tables.
One sits out a dive. You use the tables.
Try and figure the most conservative profile between the two of you, just use the tables.

IMHO

texdiveguy
08-14-2007, 20:50
Look at the Oceanic line of dive computers....very reliable and easy to use.

namabiru
08-14-2007, 21:11
Mmm... you *may* still be able to get the Atmos2. I bought one in March from ST for my console for $150 or so. But still, $199 isn't bad at all, and if you take your STF discount into consideration, you'll still do well.

Yep, get your own computer.

torrey
08-14-2007, 21:21
I think I'm sold! I've been on a tight budget since the wife and I bought our house a year ago and we've been tying most of our extra money into it. I don't dive enough to warrant anything expensive, so I've been waiting for a good deal like this.

nferra2
08-14-2007, 21:45
I can spring for two, if they still have them around when I make my order. I figure 199-10% = 180 X 2=360-$60 (GC) and I am at $300 for two Nitrox Computers! I might even get a better deal if I add a reg and Octo package. I was just curios if it was possible, and I guess it is illadvised to use a single computer for two divers.

namabiru
08-14-2007, 22:12
If you ring ST, you'll find that Joe's voice is soothing and well-informed and perhaps a bit hypnotic, and before you know it, you'll be getting an offer you can't refuse, and you'll be methodically reaching for your credit card because you just *know* you can't pass up the good deal....

(Not complaining in the least--I've been pleased as punch with my secret Godfather deals, and was equally pleased, when I rang to purchase a depth guage, to hear that they had an atmos2 computer there, and they'd sell it to me really reasonably, and I agreed you couldn't get a nitrox computer for that price)

harb99
08-15-2007, 08:16
I purchased the Veo180 - with the initial 10 post coupon and the 10% for being a forum member the price was awesome. I finally used it last week in the Keys for 10 dives - functioned flawlessly and is very simple to use.

Look here for more info

http://forum.scubatoys.com/showthread.php?t=113

Good luck in your search.

Harb

mike_s
08-15-2007, 12:44
React Pro is a decent 'puter too....i use one as my back-up. my main 'puter is the Aqualand Nx by Citizen....love 'em both.

I've got the React Pro. It's a decent computer is right, but I prob wouldn't buy it again as there are other computers out there now that have better features.

downunder
08-15-2007, 20:50
I'll sell y brand new (2 months old) Mares Airlab integrated Nitrox for $275. It's actually a steal for the amount of computer you get. I just bought it from ST very recently. But, after a lot of consideration, I decided to save up for Oceanic computers because I dive with two kids. I REALLY like the buddy pressure check (especially since one had a little incident during trainning). I just got one for my son, so I shoudl get rid of the Airlab for another Oceanic.

tx.lakerat
08-16-2007, 07:16
Man... you just can't beat the prices ST has... I remember paying $$$$$ for computers back in the day! NOW under 200 can't beat it!

dallasdivergirl
08-16-2007, 10:52
I got the VEO 180 a few weeks ago. I didn't use it for the AOW class since I wasn't certifed for nitrox yet.

torrey
08-16-2007, 13:31
I got the VEO 180 a few weeks ago. I didn't use it for the AOW class since I wasn't certifed for nitrox yet.

Why wouldn't you? It's rated from 21% (normal air) up to 50% nitrox, so it functions as a nitrox and regular air computer.

namabiru
08-16-2007, 13:40
Yeah, and on some computers, like the Atmos2, you typically have to input your air percentage if you're going nitrox. Otherwise it defaults to "air" (good ol' 21%).

dallasdivergirl
08-16-2007, 13:57
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdivergirl http://forum.scubatoys.com/images/bluepearl/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forum.scubatoys.com/showthread.php?p=26567#post26567)

Why wouldn't you? It's rated from 21% (normal air) up to 50% nitrox, so it functions as a nitrox and regular air computer.

a) I hadn't popped my old computer out
b) I wasn't sure how to use it (I hadn't read the manual)
c) I wanted to take my nitrox class first (last night)

so I have finished class & read the manual and it's in the boot. I am ready to go do some nitrox check out dives at CSSP in the next few weeks.

torrey
08-16-2007, 14:08
Ah...I thought maybe there was something about the computer I wasn't aware of. :smiley20:

texarkandy
08-16-2007, 15:32
Thats a good price for a Nitrox Computer. I was trying to figure out what budget reg/octo/computer package I wanted and I think you may have helped me out. I think the next package should be

Tusa RS-130, Mares Brigade viper Octo, and Dacor Darwin Nitrox wrist Computer. For the Ultimate budget setup, you could add a Zeagle Scout. I might have to email for a price for that combo.

Quick question, If my wife and I are diving identical equiptment, at identical depths, do we both need computers? I will probably get two anyway (Especially at 199 for a nitrox), but I was just curious.

Somewhat similar package to what I got for me & my daughter from ST this year:
RS-130 & Mares Brigade reg setups
Aeris Atmos 2 computers in spg console w/compass & knife mounted
Zeagle Brigade for me & Zeagle Zena for daughter

For a price that I'll just say I was very happy with (I won't "kiss & tell" on Joe, though)

I was so happy, in fact, that I went back & bought some AL-80's when I was in Dallas.

nferra2
08-16-2007, 15:43
No fair, Kiss and tell, Kiss and tell.....

namabiru
08-17-2007, 10:32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdivergirl http://forum.scubatoys.com/images/bluepearl/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forum.scubatoys.com/showthread.php?p=26567#post26567)

a) I hadn't popped my old computer out
b) I wasn't sure how to use it (I hadn't read the manual)
c) I wanted to take my nitrox class first (last night)

so I have finished class & read the manual and it's in the boot. I am ready to go do some nitrox check out dives at CSSP in the next few weeks.

Aha--so I see too. It makes sense to not use a new computer when the old one hasn't been changed out yet. Also makes sense to not use the computer if you've not read the manual yet, and if you're focusing on AOW skills, you don't want to be playing around with trying to figure out a computer.

(Although reading the manual doesn't always make info. stick--I still have to refer to mine, and the Atmos2 isn't even that challenging of a computer to use... :smiley11:)

NorthwoodsDiver
08-17-2007, 10:43
Love my Atmos 2 as well. I wanted ease of use and big display. Now that they are discontinued you can find em cheap.

awap
08-17-2007, 11:12

It is probably not a good idea. If you are diving with a dive opereation, they will most likely prohibit sharing a computer which would effectively force both of you to tables.

divechaplain-sara
08-20-2007, 18:04
Quick question, If my wife and I are diving identical equiptment, at identical depths, do we both need computers? I will probably get two anyway (Especially at 199 for a nitrox), but I was just curious.[/quote]

On my recent trip to the Flower Gardens, there was a couple diving. She had a computer and was diving nitrox. He had no computer and was diving air. Because he didn't have a computer and she was diving with him, she was limited to the air tables for her dives. Even if he had been on Nitrox, they still would have been limited to tables. So you'll definitely both want computers so that you can take advantage of the multi-level computations.

Krakenn
08-20-2007, 23:54
Guys, I am so looking forward to the end of Winter and for Summer to return.
Spring next month smiles

Kraks

quarrydiver
08-24-2007, 19:07
Has anyone seen the Dacor computer that's coming in? I wouldn't mind a decent spare nitrox computer.

subsur
08-24-2007, 20:35
suunto gekko

rktman26
09-08-2007, 19:15
I've got 8 or so dives on my VEO 180nx I got through ST. Real simple, easy to use, and is Nitrox capable for when I get the training. 10% off for forum members and a $10 gift certificate for your first 10 posts and you're looking at a Nitrox capable wrist computer for about $175.

sparky
09-28-2007, 22:31

I'm sure that others have already said this, but without reading the whole thread, I will tell you that you absolutely, positively, have to have your own computers.