PDA

View Full Version : Diving Books

J-Cub
08-14-2007, 16:56
Anyone recommend any good diving books?

I've read "The Last Dive" and a Book about diving with sharks by Peter Benchley, author of Jaws. Both I really enjoyed.

WV Diver
08-14-2007, 17:01
I've read The Last Dive multiple times. Great read.
Shadow Divers is really good.
Helldivers Rodeo is also good, a little different, but humorus.
Deep Descent
Fireside Diver
The Rapture of the Deep

namabiru
08-14-2007, 21:29
Mmm! All good reads recommended there. It depends on what you're interested in. If you just want a nice diving story, the ones WV diver listed are good. But if you want to read some technologicalese about diving, perhaps look up Gary Gentile. If you want to read a nice reference-style resource, Clay Coleman's work is quite nice.

This may sound silly, but has anyone actually read the PADI Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving like a book? It looks like it has quite a bit of interesting information.

FishFood
08-14-2007, 21:36
The last dive was excellent IMO. Im reading "Doing It Right: The Fundementals of Better Diving" and Im disappointed. It needs to be 10 time larger. The author could do a lot of explaining...

"The Underwater Photographer" is good for those interested in photography.

WV Diver
08-15-2007, 06:26
This may sound silly, but has anyone actually read the PADI Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving like a book? It looks like it has quite a bit of interesting information.

Sort of but not all at once like you would read most books. I like to read the tech/biology/physiology etc. It is a good winter read for me. I just pick out what seems interesting at the time and read a section when the snow is coming down. Helps me escape the misery of winter and puts my mind on diving.

Buoyant1
08-15-2007, 06:35
Rodeo Divers is also good, a little different, but humorus.
Deep Descent
Fireside Diver
The Rapture of the Deep

DO you mean Helldiver's Rodeo? if so GREAT book! Those guys are freaking CRAZY!

I've been picking up a whole slew of books over he past few years...Shadow Divers is stil my favorite! (no matter what Gary Gentile says about it...I read his book too, sounds like whining jealousy to me)

I just recently finished Caverns Measureless to Man by Sheck Exley, that's a good read, those guys did some wild stuff, and can be credited for a lot of the equipment we used these days!

TxScubaBear
08-15-2007, 07:01
Shadow Divers was excellent! One of my co-workers is heavy on audio books and knows I'm really into scuba, he was telling me about some of the "scenes" he'd heard; needless to say I had to run out and get it. Finished it in 3 days, very hard to put down. Loaned it to another co-worker here, he's almost done in 4 days......very good book!

creggur
08-15-2007, 07:24
Gary Gentile wrote a book that supposedly debunks a lot of what went on in Shadow Divers.. I'm about half way through it, some of it sounds like sour grapes and nit-picking. However a lot of what he says makes a lot of sense. He pretty much debunks a lot of the things surrounding the Rouse's deaths in "The Final Descent" and "Shadow Divers".

Interesting read so far.

WV Diver
08-15-2007, 07:52
Rodeo Divers is also good, a little different, but humorus.
Deep Descent
Fireside Diver
The Rapture of the Deep

DO you mean Helldiver's Rodeo? if so GREAT book! Those guys are freaking CRAZY!

Yes, that's it, I couldn't quite remember the name of it as I got it from the Library. Yeah those guys are really out there. I made the edit on the previous post. Thanks for the correction.

WV Diver
08-15-2007, 07:54
Gary Gentile wrote a book that supposedly debunks a lot of what went on in Shadow Divers.. I'm about half way through it, some of it sounds like sour grapes and nit-picking. However a lot of what he says makes a lot of sense. He pretty much debunks a lot of the things surrounding the Rouse's deaths in "The Final Descent" and "Shadow Divers".

Interesting read so far.
What is it called creggur?

creggur
08-15-2007, 09:39
Had to look it up on Amazon. That's where I got it..

Shadow Divers Exposed: The Real Saga Of U-869

http://www.amazon.com/Shadow-Divers-Exposed-Real-U-869/dp/1883056241/ref=sr_1_1/002-1058094-0114431?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1187188693&sr=1-1

There's the link if you're interested...

ParrotHead
08-15-2007, 10:38
A very easy and fun read was "Hiding on the Bottom - Mid Life Misadventures Down East" by James Rosemond. Good beach-side Summer reading.

The other book on my night stand is "Diver Down - Real World Scuba Accidents and how to avid them" by Michael R. Ange. This is a collection of the accidents that also appear in Scuba Diving magazine. Its always the first article I read, but some times I have to read squinting with one eye.

CC1020
08-15-2007, 11:54
I second "Diver Down", some scary stuff, but a valuable learning tool. I'm in the middle of "Neutral Bouyancy" by Tim Ecott, and am enjoying it.

ParrotHead
08-15-2007, 12:03
I second "Diver Down", some scary stuff, but a valuable learning tool. I'm in the middle of "Neutral Bouyancy" by Tim Ecott, and am enjoying it.

Probably the most remarkable and re-occurring thread in Diver Down, is that the root cause of most accidents are made prior to the diver hitting the water.