PDA

View Full Version : RS 130 adjustment

Darth Fishhead
08-14-2007, 18:16
On my RS130, there's that adjustment knob. I've fiddled with it a bit, but haven't noticed any difference. Is there a depth at which I might? What is the proper usage of this knob?

creggur
08-14-2007, 21:13
Larry explained it to me that you set the adjustment for easiest breathing at the surface without any freeflow... Then if you are swimming into a current or other activity that might cause a freeflow, and a freeflow occurs you increase the resistance knob until it stops...Swimming with the current again adjust for easiest breathing...About the only time you'll really fool with it....+

I just realized that this is the man. specific forum for Tusa, so here's the disclaimer. The above conversation was about the Zeagle Envoy Deluxe.. The adjustment should work the same I would think...

ScubaToys Larry
08-15-2007, 16:55
He is 100% correct. And don't expect it to make a huge difference. It is very subtle. To see it in action, make sure there is no water in the 2nd stage. Dial the knob all the way in one direction. Then lower the reg into water with the diaphragm down, and the mouthpiece up. As you lower it, at one point, the regulator will "crack" and air will start to come out. How far you lowered it is how many "inches of water" the crack is set to. We use a machine called a Magnahelix - but this works the same.

Now if you turn it all the way the other direction, it should make a difference in how far you have to set it into the water until the air flows.

deepdiver47
08-16-2007, 07:42
Let me see if I understand this guys. I own a Zeagle 50D. I have played with my adjustments somewhat and here is what I have found.

I will normally have the venturi (slide lever that has a "-" and "+" marks) in the middle and the screw adjustment almost all of the way backed out. That is how I keep it for all times. The way that I am reading this you guys are telling me that you are adjusting it for every dive? I have a free flow problem at some times when I keep the mouth piece up in the water on the surface, at depth their are no issues I want to use as liitle effort as possible to breath.

creggur
08-16-2007, 07:50
When I hook my rig up, I put the venturi lever on (+) (dive), turn the adjustment fully counter clockwise. There is an ever-so-slight seeping of air, wouldn't even call it a free flow. Turn the knob clockwise, again, ever-so-slightly until the seeping stops.

If I understand it correctly that sets the reg for easiest breathing without "free-flow". Set the venturi to (-) until I'm ready to descend, flip it to (+) and down I go. Haven't had to adjust it during a dive yet, but haven't encountered a current that caused a freeflow.

By the way the manual for the Envoy Deluxe say's that the reg should be stored with the adjustment fully counter-clockwise, so i always do that after cleanup at the end of the dive..

YMMV

deepdiver47
08-16-2007, 08:06
Creggur, thanks for this. I just re-read my manual on my 50D and you are correct. I need to move my dive venturi to max + once I am in the water and about to go UW. My resistance knob being almost all the way (just 1/4 turn shy) CCW isn't an issue and is preferred for storage