PDA

View Full Version : Trouble With Fins

Kimusubi
09-28-2008, 09:08
Hi,

I just recently started my classes in Open Water Training with PADI. Most of the techniques that we've been practicing I've been doing really well on, however, just recently we came across a road block. I am having a REAL hard time swimming with my fins. I have great coordination and movement, and I mountain bike all the time so my legs are not weak. But when I enter the water and try to swim around I just can't do it. I go REAL slow and my body doesn't stay in a straight line. At first I kept going down underwater, but my instructor got me to hold my head up and look up ahead and that helped me with that problem. But I still can't get my self to move properly because of my weird coordination underwater. We have to continue class again today and I don't want to hold back the class any longer with my problem, so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to overcome this problem. If you have any techniques or specific hints that could hlep me please post it here. Thank you so much in advance for all your help.

- Ali

Vercingetorix
09-28-2008, 09:27
Keep your legs straight (but, I'm sure your instructor already told you that). Without being there to watch you, there is little that anybody here can do to diagnose the problem. You mention that you mountain bike a bunch; are you using the "Bike Pedal" kick? If so, that'll kill your forward momentum every time. My nephew does that kick, and I try to correct him (12-year-olds don't listen). He puts in a lot of kicking effort for very little forward progress.

Your Instructor is your best resource.

Good luck

obrules15
09-28-2008, 13:02
Hi,

I just recently started my classes in Open Water Training with PADI. Most of the techniques that we've been practicing I've been doing really well on, however, just recently we came across a road block. I am having a REAL hard time swimming with my fins. I have great coordination and movement, and I mountain bike all the time so my legs are not weak. But when I enter the water and try to swim around I just can't do it. I go REAL slow and my body doesn't stay in a straight line. At first I kept going down underwater, but my instructor got me to hold my head up and look up ahead and that helped me with that problem. But I still can't get my self to move properly because of my weird coordination underwater. We have to continue class again today and I don't want to hold back the class any longer with my problem, so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to overcome this problem. If you have any techniques or specific hints that could hlep me please post it here. Thank you so much in advance for all your help.

- Ali

Could it be that your fins don't fit properly and you are fighting that? Maybe start with full foot fins in your local YMCA pool and use with a kickboard to get the hang of the kick.

Kimusubi
09-28-2008, 19:19
Originally I had some equipment issues with the fins because they were way too flexible. So I switched to a more stiff fin, and I was still having trouble at it. But now I've been practicing it for about 4 hours with my instructor in the pool and I have it down to a point where I feel pretty comfortable with them. There are only two more road blocks left, which is that when I try to come straight up I come at an angle, and I don't know how to fix it. And also it's hard for me to elevate myself a bit higher with my fins I have to depend on my BCD for that. If you guys have any suggestions, please let me know. Thank you.

OTGav
09-30-2008, 08:26
So I think your instructor has identified the problem already - your head is your stearing wheel, the shoulders and body follow it.

Try and lock your neck up a bit so that to move your head your exagerate your shoulder and upper body movement - think Herman Munster.

Once the head and shoulders start to move in the direction your want to go the rest of you doesn't have much choice but to follow.