PDA

View Full Version : ScubaToys ruin my ......

Xspect
08-14-2007, 20:07
ScubaToys ruin two perfectly good relationships. I live in one state (mississippi) but work a few hundred miles in another (louisiana).

I got certified in Mississippi. My wife has bonded real well with the girl that runs the LDS. We like the instructors.

I love to dive with LDS in Louisiana. We are going to Fiji in feb:smiley2:

But ST has made it impossible to buy anything from them. Whenever they see me with a new pieces of equipment they ask me when I got it from. I tell them online. They give me the spill about non-authorized internet gear. But then I have to fess up about ST being a LDS that sells online.

Very awkward moment. I want to hang out with MY LDS. But I feel like Im cheating on them with ST

FishFood
08-14-2007, 20:09
I feel the same way... I try and use my LDS, but I ordered a pocket snorkle three weeks ago, still hasnt come in. Now I have an excuse to use ST a bit more!

nferra2
08-14-2007, 20:20
I have no problem ordering something online if it is not stocked locally or it is really expensive locally. For example, I needed new bulbs for my aquarium, and I even pay high price at my LFS when he has them. I pleaded, special ordered, begged for them to order bulbs. One day I told htem don't worry about it I will just order them online. The owner understood he dropped the ball.

frankc420
08-14-2007, 20:37
I feel your pain! I too live in Mississippi, but the LDS for me is the only one in the Jackson area, and they charge full retail, and even when the prices drop they charge the old retail price.

ST is a couple of days shipping out, so ordering from them saves me time and $$. Back when the gas prices were $3/g I could easily save myself a few bucks by having it shipped :)

Btw, check out the site in my signature... It's dedicated to Mississippi divers.

Xspect
08-14-2007, 20:59
I love Carla. She really loves diving and it shows.

Walter (owner) seems to be always "pitching" something at full or above retail.

Thanks for the link. I will be checking it out.

I feel your pain! I too live in Mississippi, but the LDS for me is the only one in the Jackson area, and they charge full retail, and even when the prices drop they charge the old retail price.

ST is a couple of days shipping out, so ordering from them saves me time and $$. Back when the gas prices were $3/g I could easily save myself a few bucks by having it shipped :)

Btw, check out the site in my signature... It's dedicated to Mississippi divers.

BSea
08-14-2007, 21:34
ScubaToys ruin two perfectly good relationships. I live in one state (mississippi) but work a few hundred miles in another (louisiana).

I got certified in Mississippi. My wife has bonded real well with the girl that runs the LDS. We like the instructors.

But ST has made it impossible to buy anything from them. Whenever they see me with a new pieces of equipment they ask me when I got it from. I tell them online. They give me the spill about non-authorized internet gear. But then I have to fess up about ST being a LDS that sells online.

Very awkward moment. I want to hang out with MY LDS. But I feel like Im cheating on them with ST
I too have a great LDS, and I go diving with them often. So I try to buy most of my gear from them. But they don't carry Oxycheq or Mares:). So I guess I just have to order those products from ST.

They shouldn't feel too bad because I've spent a small fortune with them over the past several years. But they do notice anything that I have that I didn't buy from them. I usually just tell them it was a gift from my wife, and she always shops on-line.

techgnostic
08-14-2007, 21:38

I and my LDS have an open relationship...You just gotta sweet talk'em right. :smiley15:

nferra2
08-14-2007, 22:15
I don't forsee many dives with my LDS, however a ST trip may be in my future (distant future)

Phestr
08-14-2007, 23:15
I also try to buy from my LDS, but they do so much business that they rarely notice my new gear. Usually it has to be something they don't carry, and then it's "Wow, where did you get that? How much was it?", mostly cause they want it for themselves.

Krakenn
08-14-2007, 23:16
Its a Global economy these days people and the two stores that rule the world are LP and Scuba Toys.

I work on the basis that if ST can give the service and price they do why cant the others.

I had a smile at $3 a gallon you should try $1.40 a litre so thats $6.30 a gallon and thats in a City it gets higher as you go out further in Oz.

Kraks

TxScubaBear
08-15-2007, 06:41
I too have a particular LDS I like to frequent, unfortunately he doesn't carry Zeagle so ST won on that, plus I got a pair of hard sole booties cheaper there as well......sometimes ya gots to defect on some things even though you resist the thought.

WV Diver
08-15-2007, 07:02
I try to throw my LDS a bone when I can, but in reality they don't carry alot of the brands that have the particular piece of equipment I want or they carry something very similar but they only have the top of the line, much higher priced stuff.

For instance I wanted a good nitrox computer. The only thing my LDS has in stock is the Cobra, which I would love to have but being poor I opted for the XR2.

I don't know who else here may have similar problems but it seems to me that if the LDS can afford to carry the high priced top of the line equip. than they should be able to carry a variety of similar equip. that range in price for your average joe.

cgvmer
08-15-2007, 07:47
I am kinda lucky being in Northern NJ there is an lds in the town I live, and within 25 miles there are 15+ lds including a big online retailer (leisurepro).

But each time I go into an many of the lds's I am astonished how little understanding of retailing skill they have. They don't list prices, they stand next to you the whole time your in the store (usually the only customer) watching you.

I'm have bought some things from the lds, mostly masks/fins/snorkels but when I look at other things I feel they are only trying to sell what they have on the floor, not what would be good for me(or my kids).

The exception is leisurepro which has a large number of items in their small showroom, all price marked, all available to handle or try-on and no problem asking questions.

On one of my business trips I plan to drop in on ST as they show a huge showroom

tx.lakerat
08-15-2007, 08:21
You have to do what you feel comfortable doing with your local LDS. I live down the street from ST and work for a different LDS. I do buy from ST and really feel as though I support both. Can't put all my money in one or the other, I look at it as I gain as well as both my shop and ST.

JugglingMonkeys
08-15-2007, 08:27
it's certainly a balancing act that i'm also trying to do.

Liv7301
08-15-2007, 09:48
We have a LDS that is maybe 10 mins away on the other side of town. They seem like great people but it's a tiny little store and their prices tend to sit higher than other regional shops, and definitely more than online retailers. Prices aside, they are in a small store and therefore don't carry a large inventory, and when you are considering dropping a lot of money on a piece of equipment, it's nice to see a variety to compare and study. We live approximately 35 mins from Scubatoys and have made all of our purchases and training through them.

I still feel like I am supporting local (ish) business and also now own gear that was well priced and supported by great service.

Zenagirl
08-15-2007, 12:40
Gee, and I feel like ScubaToys is my dive store and when I go to a local shop I'm cheating on ST! ;)

tx.lakerat
08-15-2007, 17:03
Gee, and I feel like ScubaToys is my dive store and when I go to a local shop I'm cheating on ST! ;)

don't you know it!

kevinj1
08-15-2007, 18:35

Sometimes it feels so good to cheat---------lol
In my opinion--ST is the way to go. Hell, people are even buying their groceries online. Everything is done online these days.......

Krakenn
08-15-2007, 23:44
Originally Posted by Zenagirl
Gee, and I feel like ScubaToys is my dive store and when I go to a local shop I'm cheating on ST!

You will have to buy Larry and Joe some Chocolates and Flowers and tell them they look pretty. - Again!

Kraks

quarrydiver
08-16-2007, 08:50
in my case it can take my LDS longer to get me something than if i order from ST so i don't feel any guilt.

downunder
08-16-2007, 09:05
If only ST could run a line from Texas to Michigan for air fills, I'd be ALL set! So, my LDS gets that business.

But really - I once owned a small local computer store way before the "superstores" were even around. (late 80's early 90's). Mail order was growing big (who remembers that really thick mag called Computer Shopper???) Internet was unheard of. At that time, people that did not need the hand holding bought mail order. Sometimes they had to call for a service call and I'd help out at an hourly rate. Sometimes they ended up paying more in the end, but often not.

Scuba gear is the same way to me. Yesterday, I was at my LDS getting an air fill and while waiting, the clerk was trying to sell a Atom 2.0 to a customer. They spent at least 20 minutes going over the whole thing - basically hand holding. The price... about $300 more! I don't know if he bought it in the end (and I had to bite my lip to not say... JUST BUY IT AT ST!) but some people need that hand holding and others don't!

Hey, it's also kinda like my side line of selling cars in the internet. I got a dealers license and buy directly from GM, Ford and Chrysler and post them. Two years ago I sold $1M at very low mark-up to eBayers. 95% of the never saw the car until after they made a payment and were taking delivery! Those are the ones who don't need hand holding and know what they want.

Don't feel guilty! The LDSs have a specific target market... it's just not us!

Fox
08-16-2007, 17:36
The 300% price difference between my LDS and Scuba Toys for BCD's, regs, and computers helps me get over any loyalty issues pretty quicky. :smiley2: