PDA

View Full Version : Where to find more info on Regs

troyds
08-14-2007, 20:59
Where can I find more info on how regulators work and what makes one better than another?

Xspect
08-14-2007, 21:05
Try How stuff works

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/scuba1.htm

creggur
08-14-2007, 21:10
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diving_regulator

They even have pictures...:smilie40:

nferra2
08-14-2007, 21:46
Gotta love Wiki.

cummings66
08-14-2007, 21:49
Not me, I don't like a page that users can modify to say what they want it to. I could take the reg page and make it say they work by magic and then when you went there that's what you'd read and believe.

Nope, I don't like it because it's not trustworthy.

troyds
08-15-2007, 08:00
both of those links were informative. Thanks guys

Skinsfan1311
08-15-2007, 10:39
I could take the reg page and make it say they work by magic

They're not???

creggur
08-15-2007, 12:51
In with the good air, out with the bad.

Sounds like majic to me!!:smiley16:

BSea
08-15-2007, 12:56
If you really want to know about regulators, you might look at this book (http://www.scubatools.com/RegSavvy.html#anRegSavvy). It goes into much more detail than most people want to know. I'm going to order it one of these days, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Zenagirl
08-15-2007, 13:13
If you want to compare the performance of different regs, you'll want to check out ScubaLab results (I think you can find it on ScubaDiving.com).

It was ScubaLab that clearly told me to save my money and buy a Zeagle Envoy reg since it performed flawlessly and better than many regs two and three times as expensive. After nearly 4 years, I haven't regretted my decision for a second and even convinced my husband he needed to go with Zeagle when he couldn't take the unreliability of his Aqualung regs anymore.

It was the combination of my experience, the fabulous customer service (and prices) from ScubaToys, and how great ScottZeagle has always been that convinced him to go with Zeagle regs over Atomics. He's been so happy with his Zeagle regs that he even recently decided to go back inflate for his BC and bought a Ranger LTD. All from ScubaToys of course.

Now we're the complete Zeagle family. :D

troyds
08-15-2007, 14:00
If you really want to know about regulators, you might look at this book (http://www.scubatools.com/RegSavvy.html#anRegSavvy). It goes into much more detail than most people want to know. I'm going to order it one of these days, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

That book looks like a great resource on regulators. It goes a little further than I want to dive into it.

cummings66
08-15-2007, 14:13
If you want to compare the performance of different regs, you'll want to check out ScubaLab results (I think you can find it on ScubaDiving.com).

It was also Scubalabs that rated my Apeks regulator at the top as well in every score. IMO the lab results are not 100% on target. We don't know if the regulators were tuned for the test, we don't know how many they tested.

The Navy for example get a bunch of them and tests a batch to get a failure rate that's meaningful, not just a one off test.

Don't get me wrong, Zeagle regulators are very fine regulators but I don't believe scubalabs reports are the be all and end all of reports out there. Have you ever seen them say a regulator will kill you?

creggur
08-15-2007, 14:52
Have you ever seen them say a regulator will kill you?

"These two IST regulators should not be used for scuba diving. ..."

Direct quote from SD when testing 16 budget regulators.. I tried to link through to the full review, but the site is not working right now..

These two regulators, if I remember correctly, didn't even do well at the 33' test..I'm not saying that the SD tests are the end-all, but where else can you get data on regulator performance??

Splitlip
08-15-2007, 21:09
http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/regulators

namabiru
08-15-2007, 21:23
Don't get me wrong, Zeagle regulators are very fine regulators but I don't believe scubalabs reports are the be all and end all of reports out there. Have you ever seen them say a regulator will kill you?

Yeah, that's true, but look at the reg. market today. Now, from what I've been told, you maybe had to watch out 20 years ago for dodgy scuba equipment. But today you won't really find a *bad* product, per se. It's just that some are going to perform better than others in certain conditions, and some are going to be better regs. for an individual diver based on physiology, experience, etc.

cummings66
08-15-2007, 22:02
I'm not saying that the SD tests are the end-all, but where else can you get data on regulator performance??

For some regulators you can find where the Navy tested them, but they don't test everything as far as I know.

I think the mag's testing is a good benchmark, but I do know that IMO a diver who's using it is more likely to sell me on a product verses a magazine that says it's good to go.

I like the human element, so to speak.

nferra2
08-15-2007, 22:58
I don't like the online mag becuase half the time they don't even name a winner or use a rating system. Sometimes it almost seems like an advertisement for the products in the article.

SHAGGY
08-16-2007, 00:32
Where can I find more info on how regulators work and what makes one better than another?

There was a good review of regulators in the July, 07 issue of Scuba Diving magazine. It was pretty informative. It listed 12 new regs and compared them in two price catagories,... one above $500 and the other below $500. FYI it listed the Atomic ST1 the "testers choice" in the above $500 catagory and the ScubaPro MK11/R395 and MK11/S555 first in the under $500 catagory.

cummings66
08-16-2007, 07:24
Yup, that's the rag we're talking about. I do read those articles and enjoy them, but I don't take it as gospel.

creggur
08-16-2007, 07:55
Yup, that's the rag we're talking about. I do read those articles and enjoy them, but I don't take it as gospel.

I wouldn't say I take it as gospel, but if all the regs are tested using the same criteria, it seems that it would make the comparisons fair...

Zenagirl
08-16-2007, 09:17
I prefer the ScubaLab testing method to when ScubaDiving does their own reviews. At least in the ScubaLab testing everything is tested the same way and you can look at the table of results and compare. When the magazine does their own review, they only check out newer equipment, so it isn't as easy to compare it to the older gear.

Personally, when I saw the testing results and spoke with a couple of divers, I didn't see the point of spending 4x as much for an Atomic reg when I could get a Zeagle Envoy that performed nearly flawlessly. I'm a warm water recreational diver and the Envoy has consistently performed perfectly for me in over 125 dives.

I'd choose the Envoy again, but likely go with the Deluxe next time just for the ability to adjust it more finely.....then again, I'm probably going to have the guys at ScubaToys upgrade my primary to a Deluxe next time I send it for service. ;)

Everyone has different thoughts and feelings about how they choose gear. My husband, for instance, wanted something "higher end" than the Envoy, so he went with a Zeagle Flathead primary (and Envoy octo).

awap
08-16-2007, 09:22

That book looks like a great resource on regulators. It goes a little further than I want to dive into it.

Wolfinger's book is good but I'd recommend Harlow's book. It is more basic and covers some additional topics like tank valves. It is designed for the non-shop tech, joe-blow diver who wants to understand and maybe service his own gear. www.airspeedpress.com

BSea
08-16-2007, 09:35
Wolfinger's book is good but I'd recommend Harlow's book. It is more basic and covers some additional topics like tank valves. It is designed for the non-shop tech, joe-blow diver who wants to understand and maybe service his own gear. www.airspeedpress.com (http://www.airspeedpress.com)
You're right. This is also an excellent book. Also something on my wish list is the oxygen hackers guide.

cummings66
08-16-2007, 13:20
One thing to note about the lab testing of regulators. A person isn't likely to be able to tell the difference between the top few regulators because our bodies don't operate in a digital manner. It would take a big difference to notice.

Technically the better scoring regulators might be better on paper, but in real life nobody could tell between the top few. Get one that's good, scores well, doesn't even need to be perfect. You'll be happy, and the Envoy does have a great reputation to boot.

nferra2
08-16-2007, 13:53
I just think if you are going to "review" or do a "comparison" you should have objective standards, and rate the products. Not just have an advertisement diguised as an article.

comet24
08-16-2007, 17:53

Wolfinger's book is good but I'd recommend Harlow's book. It is more basic and covers some additional topics like tank valves. It is designed for the non-shop tech, joe-blow diver who wants to understand and maybe service his own gear. www.airspeedpress.com

Good book if you want to really learn about your reg.

MtnDiver
08-17-2007, 09:28
A while back, there was a discussion in the boating forum communities about customer satisfaction of new boat owners. JD Powers publishes and gives awards to the top performers in certain categories. What was interesting was to hear that manufacturers must give money in order to be a part of the "tests" that are published and reported on. I guess what I'm trying to say is that magazines are printed in order to make money which they get from advertisers and subscribers. If they were to report poorly on a particular brand, they would loose advertising $$$ and could possibly be sued over their results. Real world tests and lab tests are only as good as the people who perform them...and will always be biased by the folks who are paying to have the tests performed. I'm sure that the car companies that find out that their car failed the gov't sponsored crash tests (BMW) would like to not have those results published....but they are part of our safety. I've yet to see a "non-biased" test of anything that has a magazine devoted to it...not that they aren't good information and reading, but they are meant as one source of info for the hobbiest...not technical journals....

Sorry for the rambling this morning.......

namabiru
08-17-2007, 11:31
That's not a bad point. When you read Scuba Diving reviews, you'll notice they say something like "the companies which provided their regs (BCs, lights, whatever) for testing". So obviously SD isn't going out and buying the regs., which often have a retail value of $900+.

If you think about the cost of advertising in a magazine via ad., vs. providing freebie equipment for testing/rating, it's probably cheaper to send a complimentary reg. than to buy an ad.

What really sucks is then the magazine folk have all this shiny new equipment, for nothing. Unless the reg. gets sent back, and I doubt that happens.

cummings66
08-17-2007, 18:25
Now you see my point, that is what I've been trying to say. There's a good possibility that the regs sent in were tuned for the test. That's why I think the Navy method of testing is best, they grab a whole bunch of them and test them over time to establish a failure rate, plus note variations. I've seen them publish results which said one reg was good, another was bad, the end result being a limited approval specifying depth and temperatures, sometimes time limits as well. You never see that in these magazine tests.