PDA

View Full Version : Air Compressor

RonC
09-29-2008, 16:45
Who makes small air compressors for sport diving ?

ScubaToys Larry
09-29-2008, 16:57
Bauer... But be fore warned - it will run you about 3 grand, and that is for a 3 cfm compressor that will take over half an hour to fill one tank, and with the filter and maintenance costs - it will run you about 10 bucks a fill. Many people just opt to buy some spare tanks instead, unless you really need to get fills in remote locations - like on a boat that won't be near land for a few weeks at a time.

detsgtdavis
09-29-2008, 18:22
Bauer... But be fore warned - it will run you about 3 grand, and that is for a 3 cfm compressor that will take over half an hour to fill one tank, and with the filter and maintenance costs - it will run you about 10 bucks a fill. Many people just opt to buy some spare tanks instead, unless you really need to get fills in remote locations - like on a boat that won't be near land for a few weeks at a time.

Spend some time researching this topic. It may be possible to get a good used compressor much cheaper.

Just my .02.

in_cavediver
09-29-2008, 20:22
Personally, I'd look at the needs vs the wants. Compressors are expensive. They cost a lot to buy, to feed and to test. Say you get one for $2000, through in the filters and oil. Cost scales well for larger units but not for smaller ones. Then add air testing (not really required but a darn good idea). Its expensive.

Where does it come in ahead. First is the case where its the only option. No air, no dive type of thing. Second case is tec diving. Trimix is expensive. Blending it yourself can cut costs WAY down, especially if you do a homemade 'trimix stick' to do continuous blending. Then, you aren't sending back 1/2 full He bottles from your cascade or paying to have 4-5 bottles out at a time.

I though about it long enough to realize, for me, I'd rather stick that money in a CCR. It gets me mostly the same thing for tec diving but looks much cooler. Now all I need is the money to spend!

captain
09-29-2008, 21:04
I am still running the same compressor I bought in 1968, I repack my own filters with charcoal and 13x sieve. I buy it in bulk. The sieve can also be regenerated for reuse rather simply. A gallon of gas will fill about 4 tanks. If I had to put up with the hassle dragging 10 tanks to get filled rather than filling my own anytime anywhere I would give up diving.
Maintain and monitor the compressor and it will produce good air. Air testing is mostly useless, never did it and never had bad air, it is like tasting one apple to see if they all are rotten.

crpntr133
09-30-2008, 10:19
I bought my Bauer Utilus for $1800 used.

The "cost" of a fill will vary widely. Larry says $10 I have seen some claim $2-3 (I don't believe). Since I have only had mine since spring I really can't say but would wager someplace around $5-7.
The big reason that I bought mine was because the LDS was talking about going out of business. Not only that but I was tired or driving 30 minutes one way for a partial fill. I figured it out earlier this year that even if filling my own cost me $7 I was money ahead with figuring in gas for my truck.

fisheater
09-30-2008, 11:21
[quote=crpntr133;232282]I bought my Bauer Utilus for $1800 used./quote]

You must be VERY popular with other divers in your area.