PDA

View Full Version : neck and shoulder pain on left side

sravin1
09-29-2008, 17:50
last friday, I was finishing up my shoulder press and felt a sharp pain in my upper back area and neck. after that I have been having a sore upper back and a relly stiff neck. It has improved in the last 2 days, but I can feel a lot of pain when turning my neck either side.

Can anybody advise me some exercies to relieve the pain. I have been putting on hot packs every now and then

thank you

coral cowgirl
09-29-2008, 22:12
Heat to warm the area before you stretch it, and ice after working it. A lot of times I just take ibuprofen and rest for neck kinks.

But, it would be nice if a PT could weigh in here for the need/selection for any exercises.

drako
09-30-2008, 00:58
Funny you mention this since I have a nasty neck cramp from reading on the computer all day. Sounds like you messed up your trap's. A nice slow stretch with some heat will make it a bit better. Dont just stretch your neck though, do all of your shoulders since thats where the trapezoid is connected. If you have anyone around you that is good with hands and can give you a massage it would work wonders. However your probably better off taking Aleve. Since it sounds like a sprain I would work with some medicine and stretching and go easy on it.

dmccarver1
10-01-2008, 10:27
Heat, heat, heat, then stretch. Sit straight in a chair, sit on your hands pulling your shoulders down, then try to put your chin in your arm pit, count to 30, then the other. Then touch your chin to your chest, hold for another 30 seconds 3x each. This has happened to me when I didn't keep my head up doing a shoulder press. It lasts up to 2 weeks. What happens is while you are doing the press, and you move your head to look somewhere other than straight ahead, you actually strain your stabalizing ligaments that keep your spine in alignment. Its pretty common.

Dustin.

sravin1
10-09-2008, 16:06
thanks everybody. Its much better now. almost back to normal.

divingyogini
10-09-2008, 23:27
Yes, my guess too is that it's the trapezius--the stress muscle (we hunch/shrug our shoulders when tense).

In addition to heat and stretching, I highly recommend good range of motion exercises for the shoulder--if you can, swim and vary your strokes.