PDA

View Full Version : Post Count for this Forum

ScubaToys Larry
08-14-2007, 22:56
As some of you may have noticed, we've had a bit of "padding" the post count by utilizing this forum. I think it's great to greet people coming to the forum here, but there was a case where users have posted generic messages to dozens of people, even though their thread was days old, just to post a "Welcome to the board" to run up a count.

I really don't want to go in and make judgment calls on every post on whether or not it has "good content" as we describe on the page leading to the forum: Scuba diving forum chat and dive talk board (http://www.scubatoys.com/forum.asp)

So it seemed like the easiest thing to do was set this forum to where it doesn't add to the post count.

I hope that does not deter some of you folks from welcoming the new people to this board, and I know for many of you it wont. There are a lot of very friendly folks that are well past the point of additional posts doing them any good, other than to say Hi and welcome the new folks, and yet they always stop in here to say hello.

I hope you find this to be fair. It's not that I'm getting cheap with the gift certificates, but I just don't want to degrade this board with posts that have no substance just so someone can add to a post count.

I am not locking this sticky after I post it, so if you have any thoughts, comments or questions on this new policy, I'm open to hear them.

Thanks!

Cichlid
08-14-2007, 23:20
Welcome to the board Larry!

-Sorry, just a habit.

94GTStang
08-14-2007, 23:42
I was about to enter my pre-made text....

Centerius
08-15-2007, 04:44
I think it's a good idea that the posts don't count for this forum. However, I do like to post at least a welcome message to someone, because I know when I join a new forum, I would keep checking back on my welcome thread hoping someone would acknowledge my existence, so I like to greet everyone coming onto the board.

WV Diver
08-15-2007, 06:30
Run foo2 run. :smilie39: Sorry I couldn't resist, I know you are a grouper. :smiley20:

I think it will work out. It seems reasonable to try and keep everyone honest and the content of this board valid.

Foo2
08-15-2007, 12:14
Run foo2 run. :smilie39: Sorry I couldn't resist, I know you are a grouper. :smiley20:

I think it will work out. It seems reasonable to try and keep everyone honest and the content of this board valid.

Allright you! :p Don't be a turkey! :smiley2: I just like for everybody to feel welcome. That's all. I appreciate it when I'm welcomed into a new forum.

It is a good point to bring up though Larry.

94GTStang
08-15-2007, 12:21
Just don't let Larry know that he can strip everyone of their posts from this section thus lowering everyone's post count :D

creggur
08-15-2007, 12:57
I had done a lot of welcoming, and that's one of the reasons I didn't ask for my $50.00 until I was at I think 315 posts...Gave myself some penalty strokes. Just want to make people feel welcome so the forum will grow.

New rule sounds totally fair:smiley20:, and I would've welcomed folks anyway!!:smiley16:

Foo2
08-15-2007, 12:58
New rule sounds totally fair:smiley20:, and I would've welcomed folks anyway!!:smiley16:

Ditto!

ScubaToys Larry
08-15-2007, 13:01
Thanks guys... See... It's folks with your attitudes that I believe separate this board from others. Sincere, nice folks that just want to share the joy of diving. That was the whole goal with the whole certificate thing... reward people who are adding to this community - not just getting posts.

kevinj1
08-15-2007, 13:49
I think its time for a group hug divers------------haha

p.s. Did this post count? (just kidding)

Harshal
08-15-2007, 16:44
By the way welcome larry..... and don't be stranger feel free to post on to the board..........lol :)

NitroWill
08-15-2007, 18:59
Very true, some great attitudes here - happy to be a member :)

plot
08-15-2007, 19:00
postcount++

i mean, doh!

i always thought this forum shouldn't count for posts. few other forums probably shouldn't either... just the scuba related ones

uzzell20
08-15-2007, 19:18
i agree with the rule as well, though i myself did post several welcome messages, i think the rule is extremely fair, after all the guys at ST really dont have to give us anything, yet they do anyway, its a great new place to meet new people

plot
08-15-2007, 21:19
make it count after your first 250 posts ;)

Cichlid
08-15-2007, 21:37
bump :smilie39:

DivingsInMyBlood
08-15-2007, 22:09
if i see someone new i will always welcome them

94GTStang
08-15-2007, 22:29
I think its time for a group hug divers------------haha

p.s. Did this post count? (just kidding)

Only if it's with the ladies of the board... or it would make for an awkward hug :smiley36:

nferra2
08-15-2007, 22:35
Just Curious, Did the change remove posts already made from our post counts?

DivingsInMyBlood
08-15-2007, 22:38
some of mine went i guess im guilty of saying hi too much, oh well im good with it.

nferra2
08-15-2007, 22:45
I thought I lost a few posts, but I don't think it was more than 10 or so. I guess I don't say Hi enough.

Disneymom
08-16-2007, 09:22
Totally understand and agree. Although it will be longer before I reach grouperdom, it seems right.

Oh, and this board is so much nicer than "that-other-board-who-shall-not-be-named"; I've met so many great people here who are eager to lend an ear, encourage, and help. You guys rock.

.....................:GroupHug:

thor
08-16-2007, 09:26
Welcome Aboard Larry. Did that Count?

No, it didn't , Oh darn..... back to the LDS or Internet thread for me.

ScubaToys Larry
08-16-2007, 09:29

It actually appears that it did... I did not know it would take things retro-active, and we made the Fun and Games area and moved some over there where posts will not count either... and it may have taken out some.

In our start of the whole Gift Cert thing, we did say we would only count posts with content... http://www.scubatoys.com/forum.asp And perhaps there was some content in the welcoming posts... but honestly, not a lot in word association games!

If you want to see how it affected your count, you can click to your personal profile, then choose find all posts... it will tell you how many total, vs your post count on the page will tell you how many were not just word games, etc.

I know for some of you, it backed off "Grouperdom" for another week or so, but thanks to those who have sent notes saying they think it's a very fair way to do it. We just want to do what we can to make sure the people out here want to make it a great board, and not just chase down some gift certificates...

Thanks!

Vercingetorix
08-16-2007, 12:29
All in all, fair. After all, adding to the Movie Game and Word Association threads really didn't add content.

94GTStang
08-16-2007, 12:36
I am still in grouper status so all is well

ertechsg
08-16-2007, 12:57
I think all is fair in love and GC but I'm back to that big fish again. Great no I'm just a bigger target for sharks. Ya have to admit the way this board runs is completly fair and honest and all YOU people awsome! Now lets all go to ST and have donuts.

nferra2
08-16-2007, 13:15
Cool, only lost 8 posts, I don't lose credit for not being very welcoming, do I?

mwhities
08-16-2007, 16:19
What's after Grouper?

Michael

dallasdivergirl
08-16-2007, 16:38
Whale Shark?

ertechsg
08-16-2007, 16:43
What's after Grouper?

Michael It doen't really matter do you see how many post some have we'll never catch up (unless we take a vacation and start typing):smiley36:

Vercingetorix
08-16-2007, 16:46
What's after Grouper?Michael,

You're an ST Moderator. Do you mean to say that the Grand Poobah hasn't initiated you into the Inner Sanctum Sanctorum to inform you?

ScubaToys Larry
08-17-2007, 08:39
What's after Grouper?

Michael

Normally a good white wine, a little desert and sitting by the ocean side staring at the stars reflecting on the rippled water.

Foo2
08-17-2007, 11:26
What's after Grouper?

Michael

Normally a good white wine, a little desert and sitting by the ocean side staring at the stars reflecting on the rippled water.

:smilie39: You kill me! :smilie39: Seriously though...what's after grouper? ;)

thor
08-17-2007, 12:19
I keep telling you people. Its....

SeaCow

kevinj1
08-17-2007, 13:42
I say a 1000 posts--Barracuda
2000---shark
5000---underwater God--I think its called Aquarius...

Disneymom
08-17-2007, 17:28
some of us were discussing it the other day... and we came up with:

SeaCow (or manatee)
then Shark
then Orca

plot
08-17-2007, 19:47
I say a 1000 posts--Barracuda
2000---shark
5000---underwater God--I think its called Aquarius...

how about Poseidon ?

NitroWill
08-17-2007, 19:49
how about cuttlefish..those can be pretty scary (see video on forum) :smiley36:

ScubaToys Larry
08-17-2007, 20:33
Ok... and how many girls will post knowing the next time they hit enter they might become a Sea Cow?? Be real! Or guys for that matter?!

NitroWill
08-17-2007, 20:38
Ok... and how many girls will post knowing the next time they hit enter they might become a Sea Cow?? Be real! Or guys for that matter?!

:smilie39: Good point...im sure theyd like a "mermaid" rank but I think its safe to say (most) guys here would :smiley21: that idea...(i hope)

Cichlid
08-17-2007, 22:06
I wanna be a Sea Cow now! :smilie39:

mwhities
08-17-2007, 22:08
What's after Grouper?Michael,

You're an ST Moderator. Do you mean to say that the Grand Poobah hasn't initiated you into the Inner Sanctum Sanctorum to inform you?

He has me on a short leash. :|

Michael

mwhities
08-17-2007, 22:09

SeaCow (or manatee)
then Shark
then Orca

I told you all I didn't know. Larry doesn't share all the secrets with me. :|

Michael

Disneymom
08-17-2007, 22:10
Larry, I can't speak for the other ladies here, but 'Manatee' could be an acceptable option. I suppose it is more PC than SeaCow. Gentle, friendly, and graceful. Yeah... thinking the guys wouldn't like mermaid too much. :smiley36:

Bill22
08-19-2007, 02:26

It actually appears that it did...

Hmmm.... I only lost two posts... I feel bad now :-( I guess I wasn't being welcoming enough, although I did try and post welcomes when I could and I always tried to find something in common to comment on.... then I got wrapped up over in the U/W photography forum... Sorrrrryyyy :-( I'll try to do better.... does this post count ;-)

TommyB
08-22-2007, 23:19

SeaCow (or manatee)
then Shark
then Orca

It's a well kept scuba secret--
If we tell ya how many posts it takes, what's the fun in knowing :)

LPhoenix
08-30-2007, 08:37
That's too bad this one doesn't count, but I'm here! Just wanted to say hello! I'm a Security Consultant for Cisco Systems. I actually found your page because of your recent award from Cisco. I really like the site though, and I have enjoyed much of the content. Thought it was finally time to say hello! So, when do I get to be a sea cow? *duck*

angelofglenn
09-06-2007, 14:12
Thank you for the nice welcome to the board. My husband and I are new certified divers. We dove our first ocean dive the first part of August and loved it and can't wait until we can go back. We are the parents of 4 children and one absolutely adorable 2 year old grandson.

See you under the water,
Lore

Emory
09-08-2007, 21:09
Larry? Do you actually exist? We got certified at your shop and we saw Joe repeatedly but we never saw you. Are you a phantom or do you really exist??

Kidder
09-08-2007, 21:19
Maybe we shouldn't count the posts for the movie game?

NitroWill
09-08-2007, 21:21
Maybe we shouldn't count the posts for the movie game?

They dont count..

Any thread in the Introduction or Fun & Games forum don't count toward your post count

jwdizney
09-08-2007, 21:54
it's not like ST doesn't ALREADY give us 10% off already awesome pricing!... I'm thinking if we abuse the board's gift offer, ST will have to compensate in their gear pricing! that would be a BAD thing!!!!

We wanna keep these guys around for a long time!! :yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

crpntr133
09-17-2007, 22:24
A
So it seemed like the easiest thing to do was set this forum to where it does add to the post count.

I hope that does not deter some of you folks from welcoming the new people to this board, and I know for many of you it wont. There are a lot of very friendly folks that are well past the point of additional posts doing them any good, other than to say Hi and welcome the new folks, and yet they always stop in here to say hello.

Thanks!

Hmmm, is this a typo or am I just to tired and need to get off here. One sentence seems that posting in this forum doesn't count but then again, maybe it does.
Hey Larry, since this is a question does it count? :smiley36:

ScubaToys Larry
09-17-2007, 22:51
Hmmm, is this a typo or am I just to tired and need to get off here. One sentence seems that posting in this forum doesn't count but then again, maybe it does.
Hey Larry, since this is a question does it count? :smiley36:

Yea, you'll get one in here... It's just the games area and the welcome area... Everything else is fair game... until you get real close to 250... then I eliminate a few more! :smiley2:

ScubaToys Larry
09-17-2007, 22:52
Larry? Do you actually exist? We got certified at your shop and we saw Joe repeatedly but we never saw you. Are you a phantom or do you really exist??

And yea.. I exist! I've just been real busy with my other company, but I've got some new folks there, so I'll be around the shop more now... and I'll be out at CSSP this weekend for the party!

Anne Eastwell
10-01-2007, 20:19
Cool rule! :smiley20: I like to have my existence acknowledged too foo2, it's nice to know people are reading my postings.

I'm a newbie and don't mind not having welcome messages count towards gift certs.

tkdawg
10-02-2007, 16:23
Hello my name is Todd or just TK. I am new to this board. I started diving in 1986. Can't wait to jump in some of the posts. Take care and remember why we love babies, we both blow bubbles.

Anne Eastwell
10-22-2007, 23:50
As some of you may have noticed, we've had a bit of "padding" the post count by utilizing this forum. I think it's great to greet people coming to the forum here, but there was a case where users have posted generic messages to dozens of people, even though their thread was days old, just to post a "Welcome to the board" to run up a count.

I really don't want to go in and make judgment calls on every post on whether or not it has "good content" as we describe on the page leading to the forum: Scuba diving forum chat and dive talk board (http://www.scubatoys.com/forum.asp)

So it seemed like the easiest thing to do was set this forum to where it does add to the post count.

I hope you find this to be fair. It's not that I'm getting cheap with the gift certificates, but I just don't want to degrade this board with posts that have no substance just so someone can add to a post count.

I am not locking this sticky after I post it, so if you have any thoughts, comments or questions on this new policy, I'm open to hear them.

Thanks!

You might just want to edit this post Larry and change the third paragraph to read "does NOT add to the post count." Just a thought...

Xtabay
11-13-2007, 14:21
Hi again :sunsmiley: Just one more little question...(and I am not just trying to rack up posts)... but How do I get the 10% discount for signing up? I see the page says to call.... but since I live in Mexico (will be shipping to a US address) that would probably take care of the 10% and then some :help: I have a bunch of stuff waiting in the shopping cart so I would really love to get the discount... How? :help: Thank you

kenmendes
11-14-2007, 08:36
Thats fine. You shouldn't get a post for just welcoming someone. There are a lot of friendly people in here.

scubaculture
11-14-2007, 08:42
Xtabay (http://forum.scubatoys.com/../members/xtabay.html): just put in the notes section that you are a member and would like your 10% discount, or drop them an email

RoadRacer1978
11-14-2007, 08:47
When I signed up I had no problem not getting credit for welcoming someone to the board. Now that I am way past the point of my post count mattering, I still make sure to welcome each person to the board. I think it is important to welcome each person and sets the tone of just how friendly our board is.

scubajane
11-25-2007, 20:35
ok where does this not count?? in the 'plays nice with others?' I am amazed at how kind everyone has been. and those who have been abrupt have been gently coaxed into being kinder. my grandmother taught school from age 17 to 71 when they forced her to retire..."firm but fair" was her motto. worked well for her (she lived to be 94) seems to work well here too.

josephineline
11-27-2007, 15:35
Looking forward to good discussions.

:smiley9:

breeves617
12-01-2007, 11:09
Hi I'm new to the site, but old with the store. B

Cave Diver
12-11-2007, 20:24

So it seemed like the easiest thing to do was set this forum to where it doesn't add to the post count.

Thanks!

Unless I'm misunderstanding the purpose of this sticky, I believe there might be a typo here...

Larry Edit: You think someone else would have caught that in the months it's been there... all fixed on your quoted post and in the original... Thanks!

Cave Diver
12-12-2007, 16:59
Larry Edit: You think someone else would have caught that in the months it's been there... all fixed on your quoted post and in the original... Thanks!

Sometimes I pay a bit closer attention to the fine print than most. :smiley2:

Martin Levy
12-20-2007, 19:54
Well, yeah. A bunch of us dive up here year round and make trips over to Pudget Sound or over to Vancouver Island. So if anyone wants to know what diving is like in Lake McDonald in January with the snow falling - we know.

Actually, I am considering buying something from Larry and stumbled on their web pages while searching for resellers of scuba products. I thought I would put my two cents in and start towards the gift certificates. I include a link to a picture page on our web site. You can see us ice diving or chasing fish in the local lakes as well as some of our cold water and warm water pics.

Scuba Gear and Scuba Diving Equipment - Discount dive gear (http://scuba-underwater-pictures)

Merry Xmas

Martin Levy
12-20-2007, 19:57
scuba-underwater-pictures (http://www.bighorndivers.com/scuba-underwater-pictures.htm)

Goober
12-21-2007, 06:14
I think that you will still be loved, admired and respected for your actions taken. Now, let's get down to brass tacks...are you the real Santa Claus?:smiley36:

DiveCaptain
01-22-2008, 22:07
This site is such a great forum that I forgot about the certificates that are given. I come on to enjoy good discussion and information. The certificates are just an added bonus!!

cole
02-22-2008, 19:15
Larry

what's yer middle name

eh?

ScubaToys Larry
02-22-2008, 19:46
Larry

what's yer middle name

eh?

Me?? Toys. First name Scuba, last name Larry... just like my screen name.

plot
02-22-2008, 20:01
Larry

what's yer middle name

eh?

hippie parents huh?

mauiiop
05-26-2008, 15:49
I did not even know about points and counter things working together, oh i like to say hi anyways and since i did not know about it even better for me....:smilie39:

Thanks guys... See... It's folks with your attitudes that I believe separate this board from others. Sincere, nice folks that just want to share the joy of diving. That was the whole goal with the whole certificate thing... reward people who are adding to this community - not just getting posts.

clayhabitat
06-13-2008, 09:06
We get money for posts? Dang! :smiley36: Honestly, I just post when I feel like posting, what I want to post. I go in spurts and enjoy reading what other have to say. Thank you for providing this place to discuss diving issues.

cummings66
06-13-2008, 10:22
Best get to posting, there's gold in them thar posts.

oddbod
06-14-2008, 02:07
Larry

what's yer middle name

eh?

So it's Mr Larry then!:smiley31:

roofless
06-30-2008, 14:07
I frequent too many boards while trying to appear busy at my actual job to be bothered with padding a post count. heh

Eurodiver
07-16-2008, 02:24
What's after Grouper?

Michael

I thought tadpole was cute. I liked that.
Since you have Grandmaster Spammer can I be like the resident and permanent Tadpole?

freeski4ever
07-16-2008, 03:02
hahha, nice

traildawg59
11-02-2008, 23:10
Hello from Houston Iam new but really liking what I see

James1010
11-17-2008, 19:15
No and I agree that you should put some restrictions on a lot of discussions. Makes perfect sense.

bigman241
08-13-2009, 22:40
welcome to the forum larry. Hope you like diving ever been to you lds. I hear scubatoys is good. Oh sorry habit i am getting. I will admit. I have done alittle pumping to my post count. But it is as you thought to get the 50 dollars off. But he to of the 2500 or so you going to get in oct. NOw closer to sept 15th as soon as i get my student loan check i will give you guys a call. Hey can i just sign the check over to you.

PTAaron
08-13-2009, 22:46
Just so you know... posts in the introductions section don't help your post count ;)

(it is actually the topic of this thread...)

DRSharky
08-15-2009, 12:14
Does it really matter how many post people have. Sometimes divers join forums = tadpole, BUT might have been diving for years and have more to say that people that have been on forums forever and don't have much diving experience. So for me, the numbers of posts is not as important as the actual post.

emt
10-29-2009, 20:53
The quickest way to view what's going on in the forum is log in & immediately go to :::Recent Posts and click::::: Since Last Visit....This is where 98% of the regulars sit...Then you see it all and never search the forum once read...
You only read all the threads the first time & then again if searching for something special/or very old....

I was wondering when I first began as to how people scanned multiple threads so fast....Not...They just hit refresh on Recent Posts, Since Last Visit...

Larry if you scan this...Might be something to mention at beginning of new introduction section...

plot
10-30-2009, 19:08
i click on 'user cp' to see if any thread i've posted in or subscribed too has changed since my last visit.

Splitlip
10-30-2009, 19:24
I have a head ache

IrishSquid
10-30-2009, 20:43
Larry

what's yer middle name

eh?

So it's Mr Larry then!:smiley31:
I think it would be written as: St. Larry.

Sask Diver
01-14-2010, 08:52
I think it's a good idea that the posts don't count for this forum. However, I do like to post at least a welcome message to someone, because I know when I join a new forum, I would keep checking back on my welcome thread hoping someone would acknowledge my existence, so I like to greet everyone coming onto the board.

Why is it some people are welcomed and others are not, is it the content of the message, or because they havent had any dives yet, maybe because of where they live, just courious:smiley31:

Recon
01-14-2010, 12:52
Well, first let me say welcome, second, life happens, i may intend to greet someone, and then life happens, and i do not get a chance and then forgetfulness happens, and thus forget that I have not said welcome, and also forgot to take out the trash / feed the dog / sleep / eat / / / lololol.

~Recon

reefrunner
01-17-2011, 22:25
Hay Larry, LOLLL heck im still tryn to figure out how to chat with everyone.Not to computer savyee. Oh well its fun tryn to figure out and yess there are a lot of cool folks . Keep up all the greta work .

scubadiver888
01-18-2011, 13:47
Why is it some people are welcomed and others are not, is it the content of the message, or because they havent had any dives yet, maybe because of where they live, just courious:smiley31:

My standard procedure is to log onto the board, search for all new posts since I last visited, open all the posts in separate windows. If it gets too late, wife wants to go out, dogs need to be feed, whatever, I sometimes don't get to all the new posts. Next time I log on I search for all new posts since I last visited. If no one has posted to the "Hi I'm new" message, I don't see it and therefore don't reply.

In other words, it is seldom about the newbie and more about how my evening is going.

Vercingetorix
01-18-2011, 14:41
My standard procedure is to log onto the board, search for all new posts since I last visited, open all the posts in separate windows. If it gets too late, wife wants to go out, dogs need to be feed, whatever, I sometimes don't get to all the new posts. Next time I log on I search for all new posts since I last visited. If no one has posted to the "Hi I'm new" message, I don't see it and therefore don't reply.

In other words, it is seldom about the newbie and more about how my evening is going.

Uh...you realize that Aqualung's question was posed over a year ago, right?

Panmanmatt
01-18-2011, 16:22
He missed it the first time and it took that long for it to show back up in his new posts list so he could respond. LOL

reefrunner
01-18-2011, 20:32
LOLLLLL weww just like the 60s dammmmmm

scubadiver888
01-19-2011, 11:23

Oh yeah, it is 2011 now. It takes me a while, usually mid-February. :smiley36:

He missed it the first time and it took that long for it to show back up in his new posts list so he could respond. LOL

No, wait. This is the reason, yeah, that's the ticket. :smiley2:

LOLLLLL weww just like the 60s dammmmmm

If you remember the 60s, you were really there. :smiley2:

reefrunner
01-19-2011, 21:36
LOllll dannnggggg, well i think i might have been there wewwww,wherever there is ..lolll ummm just a minute lordddd okayyy forget it,,lolll

DevilDiver
01-19-2011, 22:00
LOllll dannnggggg, well i think i might have been there wewwww,wherever there is ..lolll ummm just a minute lordddd okayyy forget it,,lolll

:all_coholic:............ :smilie39:

tar8701
05-24-2011, 09:33
Great idea......but I think you restricted other threads too. I was posting in the conversation about the age for junior divers and it wasn't moving.

Cache Graves
10-02-2012, 19:22
I suppose I would be guilty for (there was some content in the welcoming posts) doing this. Which forum should you suggest I go to, as not being a scuba diver. Just a snorkeler. Then where can I (chase down some of these gift certificates... ) I have not found a one yet. Thank you for this "Heads Up" I will try to get more acquainted with the forums. Then post appropriately post where they belong.

navyhmc
10-02-2012, 20:45
Some of the best places to post general snorkeling question would be: "Comments or Questions that don't fit above", Surface Interval and Scuba stories, comments and questions. And BTW: Just a snorkeler? NOT! You're a snorkeler. Just because you don't scuba, is no reason that you should feel less than those of us who do. Which brings another question: Why aren't you diving?

Welcome to the forum.

TGK
01-13-2013, 14:24

I know I have been anxiously checking mine!

ayusarisusilawati
02-22-2015, 22:44
hello, greetings. I am an independent girl, working part-time as a Sales Promotion Girl selling kosmetik indonesia (http://trendwarna.sariayu.com/warnacantikku/). During the holidays I usually go to the beach. Looking at this site, I am interested to try diving. See the underwater world is fun. I would like diving on the island of Java, the water is still clear.