PDA

View Full Version : Long Island Site intel

trekkindave
10-01-2008, 08:01
I was puttering around the interweb and noticed on a Hampton Dive Center's web site that they dive at Hampton Springs??? What is Hapton Springs? There is a dive-able quarry on the Island and no one told me about it?

Im looking for more information and someone who can tell me about it and how to dive it, if its worth diving

Also, I have heard about the Wildwood Lake... is that a decent inland dive site? Sometimes, as you all know, north shore diving is crappy due to wind and waves, I was hoping that if there was an inland dive location that It could serve as an alternate spot in case of a scrubbed shore dive.

Anyone from the long island area who has suggestions, I would appreciate it. Thanks all

David Rosenthal
10-28-2008, 00:50
Hi,
I saw your post requesting info on local Long Island Diving. I recently wrote a book about local diving. It's called SCUBA DIVING the Wrecks and Shores of Long Island, NY. It covers just what the title says.....
There is more info on it at my website True Tales of SCUBA Diving Shipwrecks and Local Sites off Long Island, New York (http://www.thewharvesproject.org)
(www. TheWharvesProject. org) It's also available through Amazon and other on-line booksellers. If you go to Amazon, look for my 'Guide' on the book's page. It will advise of other great resources about local diving.
- David Rosenthal

bsktcase93
10-31-2008, 11:54
I went to the hampton dive center awhile back to ask them about it and they said the only way to dive there is with them because they own it.

bsktcase93
10-31-2008, 12:39
what is the viz range on the south shore

lidiveguru
12-13-2008, 16:43
Hi Gang, New to the site, but dive the Long Island Shores quite a bit. Last year was a washout. The Lions mane Jellies that washed in kept me away after 8/1. There are some great sites on Long Island. The viz can be elusive though. The key to successful LI diving is persistence. You could go from super to soup at the change of a tide.

Many of the spots listed on the various shore diving books are inaccessable unless you search it out and finesse your way in. There are all forms of divers out there, and we have left more then bubbles on our way in and out of some shore diving sites. "The locals have long memories too."

Back to diving..... The sites with a better chance of good visibility are tidal dives. They are single tank and are dove at slack, either high or low. The currents on these are strong and you hit the water just as the tide slows to a stop. You have to end up in a protected area after the dive or you will be swept away. Not as touchy as it sounds, you have to be alert of your time in water and location. The best way to see how these are dove is to visit them about 1 hour prior you can get a lot of info from divers suiting up. Two good ones Ponequogue Bridge in the Hamptons, and Beach 8th Street in Far Rockaway.

Also.... There are some divers who are all about depth. The general Long Island shore dive will be 15'-30' fsw. The deepest for me was Beach 8th at 41' fsw. There's probably deeper, but I haven't been to them yet.

See you on the bottom.

joeybenz106
06-10-2009, 17:52
hey guys thanks for the info, i just ordered that book. cant wait for it to get here so i can take a look at the dive sites around here

acamato
06-10-2009, 23:19
hey guys thanks for the info, i just ordered that book. cant wait for it to get here so i can take a look at the dive sites around here

Dave's book is great I read it last year. It is very entertaining to read.

trekkindave
06-11-2009, 07:15
Ill agree.. i bought the book at the LDS last year and actually found a couple nice places.. Hopeing to do the bridge this year, last year every day we got there the viz sucked or the tide changed too quick to make it worth it...

Looking foward to a good dive year though

joeybenz106
06-11-2009, 14:17
very nice cant wait to get it. dave emailed me asking me if i wanted him to sign the book. i tought that was pretty cool. does it give you gps location of the dive sites on there too?

acamato
06-11-2009, 16:06
very nice cant wait to get it. dave emailed me asking me if i wanted him to sign the book. i tought that was pretty cool. does it give you gps location of the dive sites on there too?

I don't think Dave gave GPS coordinates in his book. Another good resource for LI dive sites (shore & boat) is:

Capt. Dan Berg's FREE Online Beach Diving Guide for scuba divers. (http://www.aquaexplorers.com/beachdivingFreeGuide.htm)

and

The NY and NJ Shipwreck Expo Directory Capt. Dan Berg's Guide to Shipwrecks information (http://www.aquaexplorers.com/shipwrecks_NY_NJ.htm)

trekkindave
06-12-2009, 10:55
No there arnt GPS spots in the shore diver book... but most of the spots (from what i remember without looking in the book again) were pretty easy to get to and the directions are pretty good

acamato
06-12-2009, 22:04
I knew I saw them somewhere... I just had to look a little more..

http://www.aquaexplorers.com/GPSLORAN.pdf

bsktcase93
07-09-2009, 21:07
i just started to read that book, hope its worth it

Long Island Diver
01-13-2010, 18:08
Awesome! Cool to see that there are other divers on Long Island. I got certified with my husband in late November and haven't been out diving since. It's way too cold. I'm going into diving withdrawl I think... LOL. I got certified at LI Scuba in Lindenhurst and our instructor took us to Cedar Beach for our open water dives. The weather was crappy so we wound up diving in a spot called the "mudhole" instead, but it got me hooked nonetheless. Since I have very few dives under my belt I'm a little wary about diving Ponquogue right away - at least until I build up some confidence and experience. Have you found any good spots with low current that are good for beginners like myself? Does anyone know any good spots to find lobsters on Long Island or do you only typically find them on wrecks?