PDA

View Full Version : Computer Down! - US Divers

Krakenn
08-15-2007, 00:08
Hi guys, I have had a US Divers Scan4 metric Air Integrated Dive Computer for a number of years now.

I subsequently replaced it with a Suunto Cobra after I had alot of problems with the unit.

As I am rather fond of the unit could anyone help me with someone that I could send it to to have it repaired. I contacted Aqualung who advised it is too old to be repaired and that they only sell Suunto these days.

However, if anyone would know of some techie type that I could send it to and pay for their time to repair the circuitry I would be willing to send it off.

Otherwise it will have to remain as a collectors piece in the garage.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kraks

Black-Gorrilla
08-15-2007, 13:46
what exactally is wrong with it, some details might help anyone that might be able to help you.

davepoff
12-23-2007, 23:10
Doe sit have user replaceable batteries that you can change or would it have to be sent back to the manufacturer to have the batteries replaced. I have an old sherwood computer that would not work. I took out the batteries for about 24 hours before putting in new ones. I was not sure if there was a reset time or not, but after putting in the new batteries it worked again.

keyshunter
12-24-2007, 05:53
The Scan 4 was made for USD by Pelagic (Oceanic).

rach
12-29-2007, 09:15
wow, i JUST had my Scan4 quit on me--the LDS suggested sending it in (which will inevitably be a lot of moolah)...

what happens is that every time I turn it on it flashes "Low Bat" and shuts itself off. it has a user replaceble 6v battery, which i've replaced with several different 6v batteries straight out of the box (to rule out a faulty battery)...i don't really like the computer much anyway (the console is very large and clunky), but before i can afford a new one i really need to sell it (so i probably need to get it repaired)...has that problem happened to anyone? is there some easy fix that i'm too computer-illiterate to know about? if i have to send it back do i send it to oceanic or usd?

keyshunter
01-01-2008, 06:40
wow, i JUST had my Scan4 quit on me--the LDS suggested sending it in (which will inevitably be a lot of moolah)...

what happens is that every time I turn it on it flashes "Low Bat" and shuts itself off. it has a user replaceble 6v battery, which i've replaced with several different 6v batteries straight out of the box (to rule out a faulty battery)...i don't really like the computer much anyway (the console is very large and clunky), but before i can afford a new one i really need to sell it (so i probably need to get it repaired)...has that problem happened to anyone? is there some easy fix that i'm too computer-illiterate to know about? if i have to send it back do i send it to oceanic or usd?

Since it has USD name on it, I would contact Aqualung customer service and ask them what to do. If they do say it can be repaired (probably not) be ready for a hefty charge. They repaired? one of mine about 10 years ago. When I received the repaired? unit, it still did not work. So, they deleted the charge and gave me a coupon for $100 off the price of a new Suunto.

paulwall
02-14-2008, 15:10

Check the contacts for corrosion. You may not be getting the full 6v into the computer due to high resistance in the contacts.

Other than that, I have no ideas:smiley29:

Krakenn
09-16-2008, 11:01
Im keeping mine for the museum

Zeagle Eagle
11-27-2008, 21:28
I own two of the Scan 4 computers and they have been very good computers. I loved the size ( I am an old guy and need big numbers). Alas, there is only a 24 month warranty on them and that is to the original owner. If cleaning off the contacts doesn't help. Then sending it in is probably your only option. I looked in the Scan 4 owners manual and there was nothing about troubleshooting it. I picked both of mine up for around $50 for one and $80 for the other one. I 'spect you won't get much more than that if you sold it ( in working condition). You may be able to prevail upon the Oceanic dealer to give you an upgrade coupon for a new computer. I think I saw one for around $100 off a couple of years ago. Worth checking out! Good luck.

Schai
03-04-2009, 02:52

I just had the same problem with my Scan 4. First of all, Oceanic (Pelagic Pressure Systems) has stopped repairing them due to obsolescence of some parts they normally like to replace.

In mine, there was battery leakage in the battery compartment. I disassembled the whole unit and found a corroded open trace on the PC board plus a small wire braid from one of the battery terminals that was almost dust. I patched the PC board and replaced the braid. It now appears to work.

My main concern now is that the O-ring that seals the front face is 15 years old, disturbed, and probably won't seal properly. It looks like a size 044 or 045 O-ring. I will replace the main O-ring and then let my local dive shop pressure test it to a couple of hundred feet and try to flood it. If it survives, it should last a few more years. If not, I got my 15 years out of it and now I get to give myself an Air/Nitrox computer. It was fun repairing it, but I still might get a new computer anyway.

mutzeprinz
10-15-2011, 13:27
I faced quite similar Problems with my Scan4 while diving in the Red Sea area.
The last remarks by "Schai" encouraged me to disassemble the device.
It wasn´t quite easy to find out how to to this but finally I manged.
You have to find the screws behind the main label (the nice one with the green/yellow/red colours ;-)). Be careful when lifting this slightly. There are four srecs. One in each corner.
I took some pics of the procedure which illustrate the procedure. On the PCB I found quite similar traces of traces ("Schai" described them). After some contact cleaning and resoldering the Scan4 works fine now and finishes the self check with "surface mode" instead of just switching off, what it did before.

10065 10066 10067

Zeagle Eagle
10-15-2011, 20:05
Although this thread is 4 years old mutzeprinz that is awesome info and great pixs. Thanks.

scubajane
10-16-2011, 13:10
I love it when something can be repaired!!! we live in a throwaway society....boo.... several years ago I had a problem with my cell phone.I tried to find someone to fix it. I got laughed at.... so I went to EBAy and got an identical phone for 20 bucks. I used it as a parts buggy... i got 2 more years out of my phone!!! pbbbbblllltttt! to throw away and buy more thinking!!

Zeagle Eagle
10-16-2011, 13:59
I love it when something can be repaired!!! we live in a throwaway society....boo.... several years ago I had a problem with my cell phone.I tried to find someone to fix it. I got laughed at.... so I went to EBAy and got an identical phone for 20 bucks. I used it as a parts buggy... i got 2 more years out of my phone!!! pbbbbblllltttt! to throw away and buy more thinking!!

Me too, I still have my US Divers Monitor 2 dive computer and it works great. I think it was late 80's technology.

My wife came to me with her 3g iPhone. She said it was broke. So I fixed it for her. Now she is PO'ed at me I think 'cause she wants the new 4s.

RonFrank
10-21-2011, 14:26
The reality is fixing 80's computer technology is generally not worth the time or trouble. Keep in mind where technology was at that time, 5 1/4 drives, monochrome monitors, 20mb hdd, [email protected] inkjet printers that ran over $500. What's the point in fixing something that was obsolete 25 years ago......

Boardndave
10-21-2011, 14:57
The reality is fixing 80's computer technology is generally not worth the time or trouble. Keep in mind where technology was at that time, 5 1/4 drives, monochrome monitors, 20mb hdd, [email protected] inkjet printers that ran over $500. What's the point in fixing something that was obsolete 25 years ago......

No kidding. I'm all about conservation, but diving with a computer that old scares me!

tadawson
10-21-2011, 17:19

The reality is that that is what the current Mfg's marketing departments would like you to believe, otherwise, they could not sell a lot of new unneeded stuff. While some things are better, frankly, the best injet printers I have had were the old ones - the new stuff is cheap, disposable crap. And frankly, a color display adds nothing to a dive computer other than cost.

The big issue is if the algorithm is still valid and safe - if so, age adds zero risk if an item has been taken care of properly!

If you want a good example of stuff not getting better with age, look at Winblowz. Bigger than ever, and still sucks harder than a hoover . . . just bigger, more colorful explosions, but stability is still nothing more than a concept . . .

- Tim

Zeagle Eagle
10-21-2011, 18:05
What the heck is a Winblowz?

tadawson
10-22-2011, 13:59
A joke of a computer operating system foisted on the public by a company with the initials MS . . . .

- Tim

Boardndave
10-22-2011, 15:51
A joke of a computer operating system foisted on the public by a company with the initials MS . . . .

- Tim

Haha. I'm a Mac guy, but you can't tell me that Windows 7 is worse than Windows ME, can you?

Zeagle Eagle
10-22-2011, 16:56
Haha. I'm a Mac guy, but you can't tell me that Windows 7 is worse than Windows ME, can you?

Tadawson, the war's been over for many a year. Mac is down to what 4% market share. If it weren't for the iPhone they would be out of business years ago. Good thing Microsoft bought some of them to prop them up. Windows 7 is super solid and kicks the crap out of MAC OS whatever. You have a Mac and just can't stand it. Nice try troll.

tadawson
10-22-2011, 22:35
I don't run MickeyMouseKetosh either . . . . but thanks for playing, and next time you call someone a troll, make sure there aren't brown stains around your neck!!

- Tim

Zeagle Eagle
10-23-2011, 00:33
I don't run MickeyMouseKetosh either . . . . but thanks for playing, and next time you call someone a troll, make sure there aren't brown stains around your neck!!

- Tim
Troll (Internet) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)
In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat ...

Glad you enjoyed our witty banter. It appears you can't abide an opposing opinion with out resorting to childish excretory exclamatory. This is a technique usually used by someone who doesn't have a valid point. Perhaps you should consider anger management classes. I must admit, I thoroughly enjoyed your cute little nick names, WinblowZ and MickeyMouseKetosh.

scubajane
10-23-2011, 09:50

I like antiques...and Hubby is not in danger because...well I like old stuff....on the other hand....I want a competent dive computer....and safe gear...

Boardndave
10-23-2011, 19:33
Tadawson, the war's been over for many a year. Mac is down to what 4% market share. If it weren't for the iPhone they would be out of business years ago. Good thing Microsoft bought some of them to prop them up. Windows 7 is super solid and kicks the crap out of MAC OS whatever. You have a Mac and just can't stand it. Nice try troll.

Not trying to feed any trolling, but you have your stats turned around. Marketshare has been strongly growing and is now at 15% in the United States. The iPhone was not their saving grace.

Mac Market Share Around the World: USA 15%, Canada 14%, Australia 14%, and more (http://osxdaily.com/2011/03/18/mac-market-share-around-the-world-usa-15-canada-14-australia-14-and-more/)

Boardndave
10-23-2011, 19:34
And for what it's worth, nothing will be able to match the stability of a UNIX based system.

/end rant.

Back to DIVE computers.

Zeagle Eagle
10-23-2011, 20:41
Not trying to feed any trolling, but you have your stats turned around. Marketshare has been strongly growing and is now at 15% in the United States. The iPhone was not their saving grace.

Mac Market Share Around the World: USA 15%, Canada 14%, Australia 14%, and more (http://osxdaily.com/2011/03/18/mac-market-share-around-the-world-usa-15-canada-14-australia-14-and-more/)

The data I have been looking at is for the OS only and shows 6% market share as of Sep. 2011. The iPhone and iPad was absolutely their saving grace. Unix has about 1% market share.

I really can't speak intelligently about Unix as I have never even seen one. I will have to bow to you on that topic.

As far as stability, my Win7 64bit box has been running 24/7 since it came out. I have never had a BSOD or a crash of any sort.

I may not be a Mac fan; but I love Apple stock. I am up over 500%.

I have one word for you iTunes!!!!:smilie39:

Boardndave
10-23-2011, 20:55
10114I have one word for you iTunes!!!!:smilie39:

Oh, most certainly...on non-OSX platforms. iTunes works well on Mac based platforms, though.

Zeagle Eagle
10-23-2011, 22:25
iTunes works fine on mine. It's just a laughable piece of software. It says everything there's is to know about OSX.

Boardndave
10-24-2011, 10:45
iTunes works fine on mine. It's just a laughable piece of software. It says everything there's is to know about OSX.

Now now. It works fluidly and is all you need for music management. You can't simply make a sweeping generalization about an entire OS based on one application.

Zeagle Eagle
10-24-2011, 11:28
Now now. It works fluidly and is all you need for music management. You can't simply make a sweeping generalization about an entire OS based on one application.

I know; but, I couldn't help myself.:smiley36:

Boardndave
10-24-2011, 12:06
Seems we've drawn our skirmish to a close...for now!