PDA

View Full Version : tank racks?

dagrath
10-02-2008, 11:26
Does anyone know if this particular tank holder that ST sells fits 8" tanks like the HP130s?
Foam Tank Rack, Trident (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FoamTankRack)

My buddy has standard 7.25" tanks, and the rack he has will definitely not fit my 8" tanks. Trying to find something to keep them from rolling around.

turnpikemike
10-02-2008, 11:39
I would have thought that since it's foam it could expand or compress to fit different sizes. (not to discourage a purchase or anything, but...) I just bought a pool noodle for $1.50 and cut some rope I had lying around the house and made my own custom one to fit my tanks (I've used it for AL80s, HP100s, and lp72s interchangeably, but I'm not sure what the diameters of those are). It's not fancy, I've already lost at least one, and the noodles I've used seem like they might fall apart after a while, but it works.

dagrath
10-02-2008, 11:48
yeah, I actually went to my local Target to try and find pool noodles, but apparently summer is over. :(

Splitlip
10-02-2008, 12:03
Does anyone know if this particular tank holder that ST sells fits 8" tanks like the HP130s?
Foam Tank Rack, Trident (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FoamTankRack)

My buddy has standard 7.25" tanks, and the rack he has will definitely not fit my 8" tanks. Trying to find something to keep them from rolling around.

That'll work with 8" dia tanks

Plug
10-02-2008, 13:51
I made a tank rack out of large diameter PVC pipe after my noodle rack broke, but I must admit a got about four years out of the noodle rack

Brendan

mike_s
10-02-2008, 15:02
yeah, I actually went to my local Target to try and find pool noodles, but apparently summer is over. :(

goto your local "dollar store".

they will have closeout items like that even late in the year.

I picked one up for $1 buck. Use some spare rope, or I used old bungee cords (long ones) which give a tighter fit.

for $1 buck, got the same then that most dive shops charge $16 to $20 for

Looks like this, just not as pretty.

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/tanks/pics/foamrack.jpg

ScubaJ
10-02-2008, 15:16
I made the exact same thing out of 2" PVC.
The tanks themselves still touch each other, but they don't slide around in the trunk anymore.
You could make a 4 tank PVC one for the same price or less than the pool noodle one. Just a suggestion....

SynCitizen
10-02-2008, 18:56
A feature that the noodles provide over pvc is that the noodle material "grabs" the tanks better and keeps them from sliding forward/backward as well as side to side.

fisheater
10-03-2008, 00:03
I bought a large diameter pool noodle; cut it in half, and inserted ABS pipe. Added some rope and I have sturdy, sticky tank holder.

Scout
10-03-2008, 10:03
I'm also looking for a tank rack, for my truck. Most of the DIY and store bought solutions are the "tank(s) laying down" variety. I can't help but think that tanks in this position would make very effective torpedoes in the unfortunate event of an auto accident or emergency braking manuever.

Doesn't it seem more reasonable to have a rack that stands the tanks up vertically anchored to the back of the cab?

SynCitizen
10-03-2008, 11:27
I bought a large diameter pool noodle; cut it in half, and inserted ABS pipe. Added some rope and I have sturdy, sticky tank holder.

Great way to combine the best of both worlds.
Time for a trip to the hardware store. :smiley20:

CompuDude
10-03-2008, 13:31
I'm also looking for a tank rack, for my truck. Most of the DIY and store bought solutions are the "tank(s) laying down" variety. I can't help but think that tanks in this position would make very effective torpedoes in the unfortunate event of an auto accident or emergency braking manuever.

Doesn't it seem more reasonable to have a rack that stands the tanks up vertically anchored to the back of the cab?

Vertical tanks aren't very stable, and when they go, they're far more likely to turn into missiles. It CAN be done, of course (some good tiedowns and bed anchors, for instance), but if the tanks are laying down, gravity+friction goes a long way from preventing missiles, barring an accident. Even laying down, though, yes, in many cases you should restrain the tanks in some manner if they're somewhere they could slide, like the bed of a truck. Piling other gear on flat, laid-down tanks generally does the trick nicely.

CaptainRon
10-04-2008, 17:29
I built a rack out of 3/4 inch pvc and slid pool noodles over the pvs before I glued it together. Get the best of both that way.

Plug
10-08-2008, 15:42
I covered my PVC rack in Boat carpet, it doesn't slid anywhere

Brendan

shawnwill36
11-03-2008, 04:19
its very easy to make one. i made one out of 2x4 and 1x1.

TommyB
11-03-2008, 08:55

Tank Rack for the pick-up truck cost about 5 dollars and can hold 8 tanks + your pony bottles.
Takes about 10 - 15 mins to make this.

Tools needed
Hacksaw or Dremel
Drill
Wrenches

Material needed
Old innertube
Bungies
L- Shaped bracket
U-Bolts
tie wraps
Self Tapping Sheet Metal Screws (or can use bolts)

I keep the left side adjustable so that my db 104's or db 100's are set on that side. The middle section is set to hold AL 80's. Just stand the 80's up, and pull the orange bungie over them.

TommyB
11-03-2008, 09:03
Now,
If I could just figure out a way to get it all from the truck, to the sink holes :)

Scout
11-04-2008, 14:32
This is a quick, cheap and efficient idea! Thanks!

Empacher
11-04-2008, 22:17
you could coat the PVC with an old bicycle tube..The rubber will prevent sliding

russp
11-12-2008, 12:41

I attached one of the three tank Trident foam tank racks standing up behind the cab of my pickup and then strap the tanks to it with a ratchet style motorcycle strap. Works great; the strap keeps them secure and the foam keeps them from rubbing on each other or the truck bed.