PDA

View Full Version : A moment of reflection...

Largo
10-02-2008, 21:30
Three questions for the gents:

1. Who was the greatest Star Trek Captain, and why?

2. Which was better, AC/DC or Black Sabbath?

3. In terms of maximizing horsepower, what would be the optimal carburetor for a 351 Cleveland, equipped with a factory intake manifold?

Please discuss.

DevilDiver
10-02-2008, 23:19
1. Kirk
2. Black Sabbath (Ozzy) **
3. 800 CFM Edelbrock Thunder Series

** Bon Scott died before they really hit there peak all though the early stuff is the real classic AC/DC.

IndyDiver
10-02-2008, 23:33
1. Captain Kirk. (after all, he had Spock, Bones, and Scotty)

2. AC/DC (They had the Sound. Black Sabbath just had the Loud)

3. With a stick: 600cfm Holley double-pumper
With an auto: Carter Thermoquad with vacuum secondaries.

In any case, an 800cfm is way too much carb for a 351 with stock manifold. (At least the OP chose a Cleveland instead of a Windsor for the heads)

K9Pig
10-02-2008, 23:50
1. Kirk I liked the way he talked.

2. AC/DC "Back in Black"

3. Well, first I would make sure the Hena-laytor value had the correct amount of halogen fluid. Then I would change the muffler belts, and set the timing belt to military time, so that way if the 44 magnum hemi started shooting black smoke out the exhaust, I would know that I put the wrong muffler belts on.. That was self correcting the first $200 I spent on that major screw up.... Sorry Largo you lost me on #3, but at least my Hugo is still running....Downhill.:smiley5:

fisheater
10-02-2008, 23:58
1. Kirk (He got laid by hot, scantily clad alien chicks all the time.)
2. AC/DC (Bon Scott and they were the anti-disco when we needed them.)
3. Why would you use a carburetor, when you can turbo charge?

MConnelly2
10-03-2008, 15:47
1. Never was a Trekkie

2. Impossible to answer. Way too many factors, from environment to activity to mood to present company, to decide which is the more appropriate way to rock your face off. Hell, sometimes you even want to throw on a wifebeater and cutoff jean shorts, smoke Marlboros and drink red and whites sitting on the hood of an old Trans-Am, patting the dead duck on the hood - in which case you'd go straight to Guns 'n' Roses.

3. Correct answer is none. You should be rolling in a Mopar, early seventies scat pack. 426 (the REAL Hemi), 440, or a 383, but the 383 would need the 440 heads for the best bang. Super-Bee would be nice, but a Challenger would do nicely. QUITE nicely. Which ties into number two, as the most appropriate music for a shiny black, or even Go-Mango, '72 Challenger would be Megadeth.

Suther2136
10-03-2008, 16:26
1) Kirk
2)AC/DC
3) Depends on whether the 351 was a 2v, 4V, Boss, HO or Cobra Jet. But with a stock intake and a non-ported exhaust who cares.

thor
10-03-2008, 16:45
1) Kirk. If not for the classic "judo chop", then for his charm with alien women.
2) Sabbath- one word "Ozzy"
3) Awww, come on guys, it's so simple. Maybe you need a refresher course.
It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And you're gonna need about ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State.

Largo
10-03-2008, 17:31
OK. All valid responses.

BUT, what if you had a friend who told you that his favorite Captain was Jean Luc Picard; And that he didn't listen to AC/DC or Black Sabbath, but he was a big fan of Winger; and that he wanted to put an 800 cfm Holley Double Pumper on the 351 Cleveland?

What do you do in that situation?

Cause I'm all like, "Dude, that's too much for a 351. You are going to constantly be resetting that freaking carburetor."

Some help please.

Rileybri
10-03-2008, 18:02

Exactly what I would have said if you had not said it first! I especially like the anti-disco analogy. X2 on the turbo as well. As for Largo's Picard loving friend, Why would you want to be friends with someone like that?? Lock him in a closet with classic episodes of Star Trek playing on an old analog TV with AC/DC blaring and a carborator in pieces. dont let him out till he gets it!

Largo
10-03-2008, 18:12
You may be right Riley.

He was talking about putting a Rochester quadra-jet on it...

A Rochester on a Ford?

He tried to play it off like a joke, but I don't know.

IndyDiver
10-03-2008, 23:30
OK. All valid responses.

BUT, what if you had a friend who told you that his favorite Captain was Jean Luc Picard; And that he didn't listen to AC/DC or Black Sabbath, but he was a big fan of Winger; and that he wanted to put an 800 cfm Holley Double Pumper on the 351 Cleveland?

Cause I'm all like, "Dude, that's too much for a 351. You are going to constantly be resetting that freaking carburetor."

Some help please.

Luckily, unlike relatives, you can choose your friends. Just dump him.
This is the type of guy that hanging around with too long will give you urges to go out and get a Honda with a stock engine, 3" exhaust, and a wing bigger than an Indy car.:smilie39:

Splitlip
10-04-2008, 00:09
Great post.

I would have to say James T. Kirk. HE...ALWAYS...SOUNDED...LIKE...HIS...PANTS...WERE. ..TOO...TIGHT!
Second I would put Archer.

Black Sabbath because I was always a big fan of Ozzy.

Cleveland? Sorry, back in the day I was a GM guy. (Recent years I played with Mustangs)

fisheater
10-04-2008, 00:23

Exactly what I would have said if you had not said it first! I especially like the anti-disco analogy. X2 on the turbo as well. As for Largo's Picard loving friend, Why would you want to be friends with someone like that?? Lock him in a closet with classic episodes of Star Trek playing on an old analog TV with AC/DC blaring and a carborator in pieces. dont let him out till he gets it!

Good to know that my values are appreciated. You, too, must bear the scars of the disco years. I lost a lot of friends.

Doug B
10-07-2008, 20:02
1. Who cares. Although I appreciated the "message" of the Star Trek episodes (they nearly always tried to teach a lesson), I much prefer Star Wars to Star Trek. I have to admit though, I always liked Scotty saying, "Eye Cap'm, withoot more dilithim crystals, I'm a given 'er all she's got"

2. AC/DC - Thunderstruck ....without a doubt

3. Twin Scroll Turbo.

Black-Gorrilla
10-07-2008, 22:50
i really have to choose between ac/dc and black sabbath?
lets see... a man in a school uniform...
http://metropolis.co.jp/tokyomusicconcerts/concert/358/acdc.jpg

or the mustache trio with ozzy...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/sevenages/assets/artists/black-sabbath/gallery/1.jpg

HOW DO YOU CHOOSE???
i like them both.

scubastud
10-08-2008, 01:54
Kirk.... I like to see a fellow chunky guy still get the girls.
Always loved Ozzie and Tony ... but I am gonna have to give it to AC/DC for the shear hit after hit and concert appeal and the fact a guy can wear a schoolboy outfit and still look cool.
Now, the carb thing.. the question was to increase HP without factoring in anything else right?

gNats
10-08-2008, 08:24
OK. All valid responses.

Some help please.
Oh, c'mon! Even the girl knows you have to immediately report him and revoke his "Guy Card".

There are laws, are there not?

thor
10-08-2008, 08:46
OK. All valid responses.

Some help please.

I think it is time for an intervention. I lost some friends to the evil that is "poser rock." And admitting that a man name Jean Luc is a better captain, is like admitting that Martha Stewart has some fabulous ideas for turning the den into a family room that everyone can enjoy. Not on my watch my friend, not on my watch. As far as the carburetor, clearly he is trying to compensate for something. Was the last movie your friend saw "Sex and the City?" Does he know who won Dancing with the Stars? Does he have an extensive collection of Clay Aiken Cds? Not that there is anything wrong with that, but perhaps you should have an intervention, before he tells you that Pierce Bronson was the best James Bond.

Largo
10-08-2008, 10:12
Can you even put a Turbo Charger on an engine without changing out the intake manifold, and a lot of other stuff? I'm asking out of ignorance. I can't find anything about Turbo Chargers in my Chilton's Manual; and if it ain't in my Chilton's manual, it's beyond my ability.

I'm going to go outside right now and work on the car. A big wind came up last night, and the beer refrigerator fell over on the rear quarter-panel. How long does a can of Bondo stay good after it's opened?