PDA

View Full Version : Newbie BC Cleaning Question

Foo2
08-15-2007, 01:39
Hi! Fooman2 just bought a used BC and wants to clean it but isn't sure what to use. The bladder is stinky and we thought about putting vinegar & water in it to clean it but didn't know if you can do that. Also, he has heard that you can use baby shampoo. Just wanted to get opinions from the pros. :smiley2: Thanks ya'll!

TxScubaBear
08-15-2007, 07:43
Wow, good point Foo2, glad you asked- we ALL can learn from this!

deepdiver47
08-15-2007, 08:05
There are several ways to clean a BCD, if it stinks you can also use baking soda to nutrilize the odors. BTW, this works great on wetsuits where we tend to pee in! (fess up, we all do)

Baby shampoo works just don't use too much of it. Baby shampoo is also great as a mask defogger. Been using that for years, no expensive defog for me.

Phestr
08-15-2007, 08:42
Baby shampoo works just don't use too much of it. Baby shampoo is also great as a mask defogger. Been using that for years, no expensive defog for me.

I agree. Baby shampoo may as well have a picture of a scuba diver on it.

TAH 73
08-15-2007, 08:45
Pour some mouthwash into the baldder and swish it around, kills germs leaves it minty fresh.
I dump some in mine from time to time give it a swish and a soak and it has been great.

letsgodiving
08-15-2007, 08:50
Pour some mouthwash into the baldder and swish it around, kills germs leaves it minty fresh.
I dump some in mine from time to time give it a swish and a soak and it has been great.

LOL.

The best thing you can do is clean the BC properly after every dive. I clean the bladder by removing the dump valve, and filling the BC with a hosepipe. I let it run for a couple of minutes to flush out any saltwater that might have seeped in while diving.

3rdEye
08-15-2007, 10:53
i've heard mouthwash in the bladder works well, I also use a few Polident (denture cleaner) tabs in some water to clean the bladder of my camelbak...effervescent action, so that might work as well.

and no, I don't wear dentures :)

vel525
08-15-2007, 10:58
how about just bcd cleaner? anything wrong with using that (i'm guessing it's more expensive than baby shampoo or mouthwash...lol)

letsgodiving
08-15-2007, 11:26
i've heard mouthwash in the bladder works well, I also use a few Polident (denture cleaner) tabs in some water to clean the bladder of my camelbak...effervescent action, so that might work as well.

I wouldn't use anything not intended or tested for the job. There may be chemicals in some of these household products that are not compatible with the BC materials. Having the seams on your bladder fail at 130ft because they have slowly degraded from the usage of something like mouthwash just wouldn't be cool.

3rdEye
08-15-2007, 11:48

I wouldn't use anything not intended or tested for the job. There may be chemicals in some of these household products that are not compatible with the BC materials. Having the seams on your bladder fail at 130ft because they have slowly degraded from the usage of something like mouthwash just wouldn't be cool.

i wouldn't think it would be an issue.....but, i guess you never know.

anyway, I looked at the ingredients on McNett BC Clean, and the active ingredient is Nonoxynol-9, so I guess you could safely dump some spermicide in there to get it clean :smiley5:

namabiru
08-15-2007, 12:07
I suppose that as long as you read the bottles carefully, you'd perhaps be okay.

letsgodiving
08-15-2007, 12:09
and the active ingredient is Nonoxynol-9, so I guess you could safely dump some spermicide in there to get it clean :smiley5:

LOL.....you could but don't let anyone see you doing it or they will jump to conclusions. :smilie39:

Buoyant1
08-15-2007, 12:16
I've been using "Sink the Stink" about every month or so. I have a tub that I rinse everything out regularly after each dive, but add the stuff once a month ...Mine is about due..I was letting the air out of it to pack it, and WHOOOF! it has bad breath!

I usually open up one of the dumps...then let some water from the tub into it, and swoosh it around...then I run fresh water into it and swoosh that around.

Foo2
08-15-2007, 13:07
baby shampoo, mouthwash, baking soda, and polident....who wudda thunk it?

TxHockeyGuy
08-15-2007, 13:51
Never had to do anything but rinse my gear off after a dive so far. But when I played hockey I found tide in the bathtub worked pretty well at getting the stink out of the gear. Don't know if that would be hard on the BCD or not, I would think not. Never seemed to hurt my hockey gear.

Zenagirl
08-15-2007, 14:05
We use a little mouthwash in our BC bladders at the end of the cleaning routine. Then the BCs get hung for about a week or two and the bottom dump valves are opened to let the remaining liquid out. It's amazing how much liquid comes out a couple of weeks later.

torrey
08-15-2007, 14:08
Never had to do anything but rinse my gear off after a dive so far. But when I played hockey I found tide in the bathtub worked pretty well at getting the stink out of the gear. Don't know if that would be hard on the BCD or not, I would think not. Never seemed to hurt my hockey gear.

I know we're talking about BC's, but I throw my wetsuit in the washer on gentle cycle with woolite after a dive.

As far as cleaning the bladder of the BC, I've been wondering about that too since I will blow it up a little by mouth when storing...and we're talking about stagnant air for extended periods. I think I'll try the mouthwash idea, hehe.

cummings66
08-15-2007, 14:30
I use a cap of mouth wash, it's not going to harm it. You're putting it in and swishing it around a bit and letting it soak a while, them empty it out. Rinse a few times and you're done.

I think vinegar is safe as well and will clean out any bad smells.

skdvr
08-15-2007, 14:33
I clean all my gear inside and out after ever dive day and one of my buddies does not. A few weeks back after some dives I was putting his gear away for him so we could make the 4 hour trek back home. Both of us store our gear in a big rubbermaid tub. When I put my BC in the tub I suck all the air out of the bladder so that it would fold down better. Well, I did this to his and got a mouth full of NASTYNESS. It took me about 2 hours to get the taste out of my mouth. I asked him if he ever cleaned out the bladder of his BC and his response was "Am I supposed to?". Well after we got to his house I showed him how to clean it and then we put a little mouthwash in and shook it around alot and then dumped it out. The next day it was all better. Just like it has been said though, you need to dump it again in a day or two because water will accumulate at the bottom. I always fill mine with air from my tank so that the air is as dry as possible and then hang it up with the bladder full of air, so that nothing sticks together if there is still a little residual moisture in there.

If the outside has some dirt on it, I just use water and a soft nylon bruch if it needs it. I have never had to much muck on my BC so I have not used baby shampoo yet, but I would if I thought it would help with something that I could not get out my normal way.

Phil

TxScubaBear
08-15-2007, 18:18
Wetsuit in a washer???
DOH, figured it'd tear it up even on gentle...learn something new every day.

cummings66
08-15-2007, 18:26
It depends on the washer, and yes it can tear it up. The up and down motion washers are fine, the round and round ones aren't. If you do use that kind make sure to use the gentlest cycle you have.

comet24
08-15-2007, 19:27
I've used commercial cleaners I've gotten for free when I bought wetsuits and also baby shampoo. Both do the job about the same. Need to try the mouth wash in the bladder now.

mmf3279
08-15-2007, 20:43
Hi! Fooman2 just bought a used BC and wants to clean it but isn't sure what to use. The bladder is stinky and we thought about putting vinegar & water in it to clean it but didn't know if you can do that. Also, he has heard that you can use baby shampoo. Just wanted to get opinions from the pros. :smiley2: Thanks ya'll!

Foo2, what a terrific question! I am so glad you posted this question. I just ordered a Seaquest Libra yesterday and now I am armed with all of the knowledge to keep it minty fresh!

Black-Gorrilla
08-15-2007, 20:56
how about just bcd cleaner? anything wrong with using that (i'm guessing it's more expensive than baby shampoo or mouthwash...lol)

it's not that expensive at all, and a little goes a long long way.

Xspect
08-15-2007, 21:03
Good information

torrey
08-15-2007, 21:41
Wetsuit in a washer???
DOH, figured it'd tear it up even on gentle...learn something new every day.

I've only done it about 10 times total as most of the diving I've done didn't warrant a wetsuit. This is over a span of about 7 years though, and the wetsuit is still in great shape. It's a Parkway with titanium lining though, so that may help with keeping it from tearing up.

As far as BC's...is the generally accepted method to open the bladder through the dump valve as some have stated?

deepdiver47
08-15-2007, 21:52
don't like that either, baking soda in a tub will take of everything just fine. Come on guys, *It is a suit that you (you chicks may think otherwise) wear and go under water it shouldn't smell like a cheap car air freshener. :anim_pyro:

namabiru
08-15-2007, 22:11
I use a cap of mouth wash, it's not going to harm it. You're putting it in and swishing it around a bit and letting it soak a while, them empty it out. Rinse a few times and you're done.

I think vinegar is safe as well and will clean out any bad smells.

Besides, if you were overly worried about the mouthwash being somehow harmful (and I really don't think it would be, as it's something put in your mouth), you could always put mouthwash in, then put some water so the mouthwash is diluted a bit.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about Tide. You know, maybe the liquid stuff would be okay, but I don't know how I like powder just yet.

Foo2
08-15-2007, 23:49
Ok, to my surprise...Fooman2 actually got on SCUBA BOARD today! He is anti forums, so you can see why I would be surprised. Anyway, he said he saw something about using Joy dishwashing liquid to clean out the bladder...have any of you tried this? BTW, thanks for all the recomendations so far! I'm learning a lot through this! Not so sure about the spermicide though...

Black-Gorrilla
08-16-2007, 01:59
dishwashing liquid in the bladder just seems wrong... why not just order the right stuff? or stick to things that make sence?
i mean, soap is sticky... do you want sticky left in the bladder?

skdvr
08-16-2007, 07:51
dishwashing liquid in the bladder just seems wrong... why not just order the right stuff? or stick to things that make sence?
i mean, soap is sticky... do you want sticky left in the bladder?

I agree, It would take an awefully long time to get all that soap out of the bladder. If I were going to put anything in the bladder it would be mouthwash or maybe one of the disinfecting tabs used in camelbacks. If I used the disinfecting tab I would mix it up outside the baldder and then poor it in. Anything that will stick to the inside like soap is a bad idea IMO

Phil

cummings66
08-16-2007, 08:15
I don't worry much about it, just a cap full and a bit of water and it smells just fine. I doubt it'd hurt things much at all.

As to the damage and mouth and all. The body has this amazing ability to heal itself and any damage done can often be repaired over the course of time. We eat many things that are known to be harmful, look at the acids for example, Vinegar to be but one. It'll clean a copper penny up given enough time.

But, I still doubt a short term exposure to it will harm the rubber. You'll probably get dry rot before anything like that happens.

3rdEye
08-16-2007, 09:40
maybe one of the disinfecting tabs used in camelbacks.

or polident tabs as a cheap alternative....they charge something like 5 bucks for 4 of those stupid camelbak tabs

torrey
08-16-2007, 09:52
Dishwashing liquid is designed to even remove oil and grease...wouldn't this dry out the rubber a bit too much and possibly affect the elasticity, or even make it crack? I don't think I would risk it.

letsgodiving
08-16-2007, 10:14
Many household products are not designed to be used with rubber and many sealants. Washing up liquid for example will rot the seals on your car windscreen it you use it to wash your windscreen.

If you must use something not designed to clean inside the bladder, use a mild bleach solution and rinse it out WELL.

Darth Fishhead
08-22-2007, 22:32
well, if mask manufacturers recommend using toothpaste to clean the lenses, can there be such a different make up to the mouthwash? I think I like that idea. Freshen up before ascending. Purge air from the BC into your mouth, minty fresh for a post-dive date!

terrillja
08-27-2007, 12:51
I just use the McNett Mirazyme to clean my BC, then use a bit of BC life. ST has the kit on sale now for $15, it has all sorts of goodies in it.

http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Gearcare

Suther2136
08-27-2007, 21:44
I would stay away from any home remedies. If you have ever opened up a waterpic that have mouthwash in it you've seen the yucky black slime that forms. Mostly because it never gets clean enough or drys out. I would think that clean fresh water, good draining and lots of air time is best. Clean and dry is best.

amajamar
09-03-2007, 13:28
My brother-in-law throws a half a cup of PineSol in a big Rubbermaid and dunks EVERYTHING then rinses.

Something doesn't sound right about that, but...

Anyone hear of doing that?

amajamar

danielh03
09-07-2007, 01:12
My brother-in-law throws a half a cup of PineSol in a big Rubbermaid and dunks EVERYTHING then rinses.

Something doesn't sound right about that, but...

Anyone hear of doing that?

amajamar

Ouch, PineSol? That stuff is pretty abrasive. Thats what i use to strip wax of the floor at the armory! I have always been told to rinse with fresh water, rinse again, and just to be sure, rinse! Then add two or three full breaths of air for storage. Just my 2 cents (or five if u live on the bottom of the world lol)

Lone Frogman
09-11-2007, 16:46
I wouldn't use anything not intended or tested for the job. There may be chemicals in some of these household products that are not compatible with the BC materials. Having the seams on your bladder fail at 130ft because they have slowly degraded from the usage of something like mouthwash just wouldn't be cool.[/QUOTE]

Mouthwash it's worked for me over 20 years. Think I'll use it for another 20. No failures at 130 feet and if you need a BC at 130 feet you're probably overweighted

meesier42
09-11-2007, 17:39
I would probably stick with one of the dedicated commercial products that are out there, the last thing you want is to do something will degrade the performance or life of your BC

THT98
09-11-2007, 23:38
I have really good luck with BC Life. It keeps things smelling fresh, and it's approved for the job.

danielh03
09-12-2007, 05:17
Rubers and plastics are chemicaly made for the most part, so anything not designed to work with them can break them down or dry them out. I really would hate to have a bladder fail on me at depth. If that blatter goes, I have a feeling so would my other bladder and my bowls to boot!