PDA

View Full Version : Zeagle Octo-Z or Atomic SS1

JugglingMonkeys
08-15-2007, 07:58
What are your thoughts?

any major differences between them such as ease of cleaning?
Performance differences?

thanks

creggur
08-15-2007, 08:05
From everything I've read they are both solid performers.. I have the Octo-Z, of course all my stuff is Zeagle, so I may be biased..

I don't think you could go wrong with either one.. I have been very happy with my Octo-Z..

deepdiver47
08-15-2007, 08:54
agreed, either one is good. I love my SS1 (I am a huge Zeagle fan). In general, IMHO, the idea of eliminating a hose and having your BCD and 2nd source air on one console is huge.

Zenagirl
08-15-2007, 13:09
The Octo-Z has the advantage of being able to be disconnected from your BC for storage. ScottZeagle also talked about someone taking it down deeper than 130' and it breathed fine.

I'm a Zeagle fan, so I'd go with the Octo-Z if I were in the market, but I like my octo.

DougNR
08-15-2007, 15:00
No argument with any of the previous comments. Remember the Octo-Z will save you a few bucks you can put toward your next dive vacation!

creggur
08-15-2007, 15:43
Somebody Scott knows in Australia breathed on one at 230' if I'm not mistaken and said it performed fine...Deeper than I want to go...
Found it on sb

Hi Scott I breathed mine for a couple of minutes at 240ft / 70m.
Outstanding performance from the Octo-Z. I rate the WOB better than the Apeks Octo+ and the Scuba Pro Air II

Cheers
Chriso

and

I had an Octo - Z along in 200' while spearfishing.

After ascending with a nice gag grouper to 170' I switched to the O-Z from there up to about 60'.

It was easy breathing and simple to vent air from the BC without removing the O-Z from my mouth... by just half-way pressing the deflate button.

Chad

creggur
08-16-2007, 06:46
Yeah I saw you in one of the other areas of the forum last night... Welcome to the ST side of things...It's nice having people that are in the biz around here for techy questions, and who have actually used the stuff...
Thanks for breathing on the thing that deep, we bought two of the Octo-Z's after research, and getting opinions like yours...

Deepest I've breathed on mine is 60', but it worked great...

deepdiver47
08-16-2007, 06:57
The Octo-Z has the advantage of being able to be disconnected from your BC for storage. ScottZeagle also talked about someone taking it down deeper than 130' and it breathed fine.

I'm a Zeagle fan, so I'd go with the Octo-Z if I were in the market, but I like my octo.

So does the SS1, i put it on my carry on bag with my reg. Also, the fitting on the BCD side of the SS1 is the female end of a garden hose. If you want to clean out the BCD from the inside you hook up a hose and can completely fill the bladder. I love this feature.

JugglingMonkeys
08-16-2007, 07:20
The Octo-Z has the advantage of being able to be disconnected from your BC for storage.

So does the SS1, i put it on my carry on bag with my reg. Also, the fitting on the BCD side of the SS1 is the female end of a garden hose. If you want to clean out the BCD from the inside you hook up a hose and can completely fill the bladder. I love this feature.

So they BOTH have this same easy clean/garden hose feature?

thor
08-16-2007, 08:44
My understanding is that they both have the same exact features. Only difference is that Atomic was rated slightly higher than Zeagle by ScubaLab

JugglingMonkeys
08-17-2007, 06:55
i found the review. very good.
it does give the atomic the edge.

thanks

deepdiver47
08-17-2007, 07:01
The Octo-Z has the advantage of being able to be disconnected from your BC for storage.

So they BOTH have this same easy clean/garden hose feature?

I didn't know that that Zeagle Octo had it, wow, they must be real close.

kauai diver
12-23-2007, 16:22
Check to make sure it is compatible with your bcd, I really liked the Z, but it is not compatible with my aeris bcd, I am not sure what the SS1 fits ?
Good luck.

kauai diver
12-29-2007, 04:42
I just wanted to add that I found out the SS1 has adaptors for almost any BCD out there + the hose flush adaptor. Which gives it an edge over the Z.