PDA

View Full Version : Deviated septum?

tomich
10-05-2008, 08:40
Is anyone else out there diving with a minorly deviated septum?

- Did you ever get it corrected by surgery? If so, how was clearing before and after?

mselizann
10-06-2008, 14:32
I do- my ENT told me not to have surgery unless absolutely necessary

3rdEye
10-06-2008, 14:36
i can barely breath through my right nostril because of mine, and I have a history of sinus problems....however, i have no problems clearing. Actually, I'm getting close to not having to even pinch my nose anymore to clear.

Lulubelle
10-06-2008, 15:31
Don't get the surgery unless you are having frequent, recurrent, difficult to treat sinusitis or something else major that is making it a problem.

If you are equalizing without any problem then you have no problem there.

caroln
10-06-2008, 15:58
I do, and I had it fixed 2 weeks after I was O/W certified. My doc was recommended by DAN, and was excellent. He basically left it up to me to decide whether to have the surgery or not, but pointed out that odds are, the one time it would come against me would be on day 1 of a dive trip I paid a fortune to be on, and then I'd be kicking myself if I hadn't done it. I did it and no regrets.

That being said, my O/W instructor has the same thing, and has dived the Doria with no issues, so you may be just fine without doing a thing. I would recommend asking DAN for a good ENT in your area, and consulting with him.

tomich
10-06-2008, 17:12
I do, and I had it fixed 2 weeks after I was O/W certified. My doc was recommended by DAN, and was excellent. He basically left it up to me to decide whether to have the surgery or not, but pointed out that odds are, the one time it would come against me would be on day 1 of a dive trip I paid a fortune to be on, and then I'd be kicking myself if I hadn't done it. I did it and no regrets.

That being said, my O/W instructor has the same thing, and has dived the Doria with no issues, so you may be just fine without doing a thing. I would recommend asking DAN for a good ENT in your area, and consulting with him.

i do have general issues of slow clearing around 3-5 meters.

what was the difference in clearing before and after?
how was the surgery? how long were you out?

thanks for your experiences!

SPLzero
10-08-2008, 05:52
Don't get the surgery unless you are having frequent, recurrent, difficult to treat sinusitis or something else major that is making it a problem.

Is there any reason having surgery would effect diving? My nose was broken when I was 18 and I had surgery to fix the deviated septum and straighten it from being broken. Should I take precaution when I dive?

tomich
10-08-2008, 05:59

Is there any reason having surgery would effect diving? My nose was broken when I was 18 and I had surgery to fix the deviated septum and straighten it from being broken. Should I take precaution when I dive?

Hi!

No, from what I understand, having your septum corrected should make diving much easier.

And that's what I am checking with others who have had the same surgery!

Lulubelle
10-08-2008, 07:22

It really depends on the extent of your surgery and any complications afterwards. For a simply septum repair without complications, no. Some people have issues that can affect their sinuses and even the orbit of the eye, but trust me, you would know if you had had any of those problems which MIGHT affect your diving.

Drewskey
10-11-2008, 17:53
I have had my deviated septum corrected. I had it done 2 years prior to my OW cert, so I have no experience to compare before and after. I can say that I have NO problems whatsoever. My ENT was great about the whole process. I was out for 2 weeks of regular life because of the extensive things done at the same time (tonsels, uvula, and excess throat tissue). If doing just the surgery, I would be a month MINIMUM from diving.

As a side note, I also had my uvula (dangly thing in back of throat) removed at the same time. My throat gets a little dry because of this, but I have NO restrictions in breathing. I'm willing to bet that I will never be able to notice a breathing difference in regulators.

divingthewall
10-13-2008, 20:23
I have a deviated septum and I do have problems clearing sometimes. I am to scared to have the surgery. I find using Docs Proplugs have helped me with equalizing so for now I will hold off on the surgery. Thank you to everyone who has posted their experience with the surgery.

KennyD
10-15-2008, 04:47
I've got a deviated septum myself and HAD problems equalizing until I started taking (Mucinex D) and then all my problems went away. I can clear with great ease and hardly need to pinch my nose at all. I take the 1200mg stuff about a day before I plan on diving and take it every 12hrs. after that until I'm done diving. Works great for me! You may consider trying this.
Good Luck! KennyD

tomich
10-15-2008, 06:55
I've got a deviated septum myself and HAD problems equalizing until I started taking (Mucinex D) and then all my problems went away. I can clear with great ease and hardly need to pinch my nose at all. I take the 1200mg stuff about a day before I plan on diving and take it every 12hrs. after that until I'm done diving. Works great for me! You may consider trying this.
Good Luck! KennyD

thanks amigo!

i checked up on it - what it is, is a mix of guaifenesin (an expectorant that works wonders) and pseudoephedrine (a common decongestant). you don't want to take another decongestant such as sudafed when you're taking these, or you'll be double dosing yourself and be really wired (and theoretically increase your chances of oxygen toxicity if you're diving deep with nitrox)! however, the combination of these really should help anyone's clearing issues.

just be sure to drink an extra glass of water before diving, since both of these drugs can really "dry" you out - and dehydration is one factor in dci.

also if you're a woman, the effects of guaifenesin have not been tested with pregancy, so if you're pregnant, avoid this (assuming you're even diving in the first place!)

coloradopomi
04-16-2009, 12:36
I've had a deviated septum since I was a kid and, regrettably, that was many, many years ago. Most of my questions with ENTs (I was with Navy Medicine for years) ended up with repair only being recommended if it started bothering me. Some even mentioned that repairing it wouldn't improve my looks if that was what I was looking for. One should never get too close to their physicians. I haven't had problems clearing because of the septum though, the eustacian tubes are futher back and I'm not sure how the septum would imact on them. Most of my problems have been from congestion that was fixed with Sudafed or Mucinex D before the dive.

clararhb
04-16-2009, 21:25
I had to have mine done before I could get certified. In the 9' pool I was ok but my first try at OW was a no go without being able to clear.
My ENT told me that the way mine sat it was directing the drainage across the Eustachian tubes. Thus not allowing me to clear. This was always a problem on planes as well. I hated to fly until after my surgery.

The surgery has effected my life in many positive ways. I use to have a yearly sinus infection and was always stopped up during the fall. Now I can breath and dive with no problems. Was it worth the surgery..OH YA! It may not be for everyone but it made a world of difference in my life.

Tully Mars
04-17-2009, 07:19
I had mine done years before ever starting diving. It was an out patient surgery for me and I'd do it again. Much better after then before. The surgery it's self wasn't that great but that had to do with the anesthesiologist more then anything else. I think he thought I need twice as much Diprivan as I really did. I was told I'd wake up in about four hours. Ten hours later I shot striaght up, threw up blood all over the bed and went completely limp. Could barelt move my head back and forth. The nurses came in and in flash removed the soiled sheet and put new one under and over me. Then one return with a large pill saying "this will keep you from getting sick again." I asked "What is it?" "it's supasatory, it'll keep you from doing that again." I said "I'd rather be sick." "Ok, but if you get sick again we're going to have to use it." I made sure I never got sick again. Swallowed a lot of blood but never got sick.

TennisCoach
04-17-2009, 13:26
I do and I have no problems.

clararhb
04-17-2009, 13:26
WOW, now that would really suck. I liked my surgery so much I thanked the doc when I came to. Not sure if I really meant it but I was thankful that I came to.
I have also heard some horror stories from many years ago and things have changed drastically. My instructor told me that he had his done about ten years ago and had packing in his nose for about two weeks. Well you can only imagine what that was like. A weekend for me was enough.

gee
04-17-2009, 21:53
I've always had sinus problems & a deviated septum. I've been lucky with being able to equalize with a minimum of effort. After my ENT described what the process is to repair it I decided that surgery would be a last resort. One thing that helps me avoid sinus infection is to do a saline irrigation on a regular basis.

Mtrewyn
04-17-2009, 22:06
I might need to have it done but for now I'm ok,

My Dad just had this done last month, he said the night of the surgery Sucked!, the next day was not too bad and the third day when they pulled the packing, with out the "Happy Pills" they gave them he said that would have the worst part. They told him to not do anything that might cause a nose bleed or any kind of straining but now he is fine and says he can breathe better than he ever has in his life.

Tully Mars
04-18-2009, 05:47

My Dad just had this done last month, he said the night of the surgery Sucked!, the next day was not too bad and the third day when they pulled the packing, with out the "Happy Pills" they gave them he said that would have the worst part. They told him to not do anything that might cause a nose bleed or any kind of straining but now he is fine and says he can breathe better than he ever has in his life.

Even after surgery I go through a bunch of "Ocean" brand. Store brands have never worked very well for me.

clararhb
04-19-2009, 11:34

They give you "happy pills" for a reason. And don't drink alcohol anytime before you have the packing out. Not sure what it does to you but the guy ahead of me had drank the night before. It was a looong process for him.

Mtrewyn
04-19-2009, 16:03
The Alcohol is a blood thinner... Lots of bleeding. Among other things.

clararhb
04-22-2009, 22:59
Hadn't thought about that one. I was thinking about the diuretic issue and drying you out. Figured that everything stuck and caused more problems. I do know that he ended up throwing up.

Tully Mars
04-23-2009, 07:26
Hadn't thought about that one. I was thinking about the diuretic issue and drying you out. Figured that everything stuck and caused more problems. I do know that he ended up throwing up.

Sounds like he swallowed a lot of blood and tossed it up.

CPTOZZY
04-23-2009, 19:12

They give you "happy pills" for a reason. And don't drink alcohol anytime before you have the packing out. Not sure what it does to you but the guy ahead of me had drank the night before. It was a looong process for him.

Alcohol applied to a wound can slow down the clotting, but that would be a topical application (like rubbing Alcohol). The guy that drank the night before surgery probably drinks a lot. Lots of alcohol consumption effects the efficiency of the Liver. The Liver produces clotting factors - Hence he didn't clot too well.

The Nasal Septum is a piece of cartilage that separates the right from the left nasal passages. If your septum is badly deviated it could effect your ability to breathe from the effected nostril. A septoplasty basically consists of the surgeon breaking and splinting the septum to allow for unimpeaded airflow.
Additionally, Inside your nose are structures called turbinates. The turnbinates moisten and help to remove impurities from the inspired air before they head down to the lungs. Sometimes these turbinates become chronically swollen, and this can lead to chronic stuffy nose. To correct this the surgeon will advance a sheathed rotating cutter and basically "Roto-Rooter" out the excess/unwanted tissue, this procedure is called a turbinoplasty.
Commonly both these procedures will be done at the same time, a Septo-Turbinoplasty.

tomich
03-28-2010, 13:55

Alcohol applied to a wound can slow down the clotting, but that would be a topical application (like rubbing Alcohol). The guy that drank the night before surgery probably drinks a lot. Lots of alcohol consumption effects the efficiency of the Liver. The Liver produces clotting factors - Hence he didn't clot too well.

The Nasal Septum is a piece of cartilage that separates the right from the left nasal passages. If your septum is badly deviated it could effect your ability to breathe from the effected nostril. A septoplasty basically consists of the surgeon breaking and splinting the septum to allow for unimpeaded airflow.
Additionally, Inside your nose are structures called turbinates. The turnbinates moisten and help to remove impurities from the inspired air before they head down to the lungs. Sometimes these turbinates become chronically swollen, and this can lead to chronic stuffy nose. To correct this the surgeon will advance a sheathed rotating cutter and basically "Roto-Rooter" out the excess/unwanted tissue, this procedure is called a turbinoplasty.
Commonly both these procedures will be done at the same time, a Septo-Turbinoplasty.

Apparently there have been side effects to over-zealous turbinoplasty. Be careful as what they are taking out cannot be put back. For more information, check out any link on "empty nose syndrome".

mickg
05-04-2010, 22:52
My 2c would be to NOT have the surg unless you can't dive without it, or are limited in another way. I can barely breathe through my nose at the best of times, have an obviously deviated septum, yet have absolutely no problems clearing.

Surg can open you up (no pun intended) to a myriad of other problems, best explained to you by your cutter of choice. The least of all would be no diving while you heal! hehe

Mick G