PDA

View Full Version : Question - Florida Lobster Diving

BTownDiver
10-05-2008, 12:48
My husband and I have done plenty of diving, but we've never gone for lobster. We're looking to do the Sportsman Season next year, but I had a few questions.

Most everybody I know says to just go to Key West for the Season. I don't want to assume that's best, though. I know that Key West is in Monroe County, which means it's going to be CRAZY. I'd rather avoid crazy if possible (although I realize I should probably avoid Sportsman Season if that's the case). Also, the daily bag limit in Monroe County is six per day while other areas have it at twelve per day.

Is this because all the lobster congregate in Key West? Or is there another location I should look at for our Sports Season trip where I could do some non-crazy diving with plenty of opportunity for big catches?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Splitlip
10-05-2008, 15:03
My husband and I have done plenty of diving, but we've never gone for lobster. We're looking to do the Sportsman Season next year, but I had a few questions.

Most everybody I know says to just go to Key West for the Season. I don't want to assume that's best, though. I know that Key West is in Monroe County, which means it's going to be CRAZY. I'd rather avoid crazy if possible (although I realize I should probably avoid Sportsman Season if that's the case). Also, the daily bag limit in Monroe County is six per day while other areas have it at twelve per day.

Is this because all the lobster congregate in Key West? Or is there another location I should look at for our Sports Season trip where I could do some non-crazy diving with plenty of opportunity for big catches?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

The DIVERS congregate in Monroe County. :) Easier dives compared to the East Coast because thay can be shallower and less current. Although I have taken my limit in 25 ft off Palm Beach and Jupiter.

Since you are experienced divers, think about hooking up with these guys Jupiter Dive Center, Scuba diving lessons at a PADI 5 Star facility, daily scuba diving trips in Jupiter, Florida. (http://www.jupiterdivecenter.com) if you don't have your own boat.