PDA

View Full Version : Pony bottle Reg Recommendations

emalebiga
10-06-2008, 14:53
Hello ST world, Just wondering what regulator would you guys recommend for a 30ft pony bottle. This pony setup will be used in cold water, as a deco bottle (5-10min shallow deco stops) with a EAN low enough to be used as a redundant air source at any time during the dive.

I plan attaching the pony to my main tank as long as it does not extend past my profile.

I was thinking of a small environmentally sealed DIN first stage possibly the aqualung kronos, with a 2nd stage that performs well in 40 degree water.

texdiveguy
10-06-2008, 17:26
Salvo SR2 and SRX Combo (http://addheliumstore.com/salvo-sr2-and-srx-comb2.html)

Make a great pair.

warscout2
10-06-2008, 18:06
has anyone used the Zeagle razor reg i would love to use it for a slung pony but im not sure how well it breaths or if its prone to freezing

IndyDiver
10-06-2008, 22:26
has anyone used the Zeagle razor reg i would love to use it for a slung pony but I'm not sure how well it breaths or if its prone to freezing

I would not choose a razor unless I only dove in water above 50 degrees. It has a piston first stage, which is not a good choice for cold water. Regs for colder water use are all balanced diaphragm and usually environmentally sealed.

Since I dive in the Great Lakes region where the bottom temps are usually around 40 degrees or less, I feel the most likely equipment failure I will have at depth is a free flow. If I just free-flowed a Zeagle 50D, I don't think I'd like to switch to a razor to see how that handles 39 degrees at 90 feet.

warscout2
10-07-2008, 20:07
point taken i guess im not getting the razor

beperkins
10-15-2008, 11:54
ST has an Oceanic reg for $145 that is balanced dia. Might be a good choice. Din conversion kit available.