PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth the $$$ to take pics while Diving?

porsche060
08-15-2007, 13:21
The housing for my Cannon is $200. Just deciding is the expense worth it to take pictures. Anyone feel they wasted money afterward (especially with all the scuba stuff you can buy instead like a computer watch)

Centerius
08-15-2007, 13:31
*waiting for Larry to post in the thread*

Anyways, I'd say it's definitely worth the money to take pictures. Even if you don't take the best pictures, it helps jog your memory of what you saw when you were there. My camera also takes video, and I use it as an underwater video camera sometimes. :)

thesmoothdome
08-15-2007, 13:34
I used to shoot pics and it definately wasn't a waste of money. The only warning I can give you is that once you start, you'll want more and more camera gear. You may start with a small camera and a housing, but soon you'll want a strobe for better color and then you'll want to blow up some pics for your wall and realize you need a better camera with more megapixels to make that happen. It's a never ending game.

Currently, I'm waiting until I can blow a few grand on a new set up before I make the plunge again.

WV Diver
08-15-2007, 13:38
That is a question only you can answer for yourself. I love my pics and wouldn't trade some of them for love nor money. But I get tired of always taking pics sometimes and don't even take the camera with me. I have kicked myself a time or two also for doing it.

BSea
08-15-2007, 13:38
I think that if you are really into photography, then the $200 isn't a deal breaker. But If I were you, I'd get the cheapest underwater setup I could find. Because IMHO dragging a camera around is a PITA. I used to have 1, and everyone always wanted me to take it along on dives. It got so I hated the thing. Now that was years ago, and cameras are better & much easier to use. But they are still expensive, and still a PITA to drag around unless you are into that kind of thing.

But I have lots of underwater pictures. Mine are typical vacation type pictures & many are not very good. And if you look at my land pictures you'll see that they are typical of someone with family photos. Alot of great memories, but not much in the way of quality. I guess what I'm saying is if you want to take some underwater pictures, start out small because it may be something you rarely use if you are like me.

TAH 73
08-16-2007, 08:27
I picked up the Canon UW housing, and i find that my camera is in it, more often than not.
Not only are they waterproof, but snowproof, splashproof, bumproof, and help protect the camera from the elements.
Took the camera camping, and had the camera in the backpack, no case needed, just pull it out and shoot.
camera's are fragile, the cases in there construction a little more durable.

Bill22
08-16-2007, 10:15
The housing for my Cannon is $200. Just deciding is the expense worth it to take pictures. Anyone feel they wasted money afterward (especially with all the scuba stuff you can buy instead like a computer watch)

A question really only you can answer. I've got over a $1000 bucks invested now and it's only a matter of time I think before I'm spending several more thousand.... but thats me :-) I think even if you only take pictures on vacation that it would be worth the $200 just for the memories :-)

NitroWill
08-16-2007, 10:25
I love photography under water.. Right now due to other more important expenses I use a 35MM UW camera. Even though the quality isnt the best - the pictures are still very worth it for me! As you get more experience with it, you will love it more and more

nferra2
08-16-2007, 10:32
I have thousands invested in my photo equiptment for above water pictures. I wish the Underwater housing for my Olympus DSLR was only $200 (It is closer to $900). I have a Canon powershot S60, and I plan on getting the canon housing for it. It takes decent pictures, and is small. I am also considering the Olympus stylus 770 SW. It is rated waterproof to 33ft, small enough to stick in you pocket, and would be suitable for 90% of the dive sites out there.

torrey
08-16-2007, 13:11

Definitely worth it, in my opinion. If you're planning on only diving low-vis lakes then maybe not...but you'll be glad you have it on any blue-water trips. Remember also that it's an investment, not just blown money. If you decide that it wasn't a good purchase for you, you can always turn around and sell the housing.

edit: one other thing...if you're camera is capable of movies also (most are nowadays), then that's even more reason to get it underwater.

namabiru
08-16-2007, 14:12
Not only are they waterproof, but snowproof, splashproof, bumproof, and help protect the camera from the elements.
Took the camera camping, and had the camera in the backpack, no case needed, just pull it out and shoot.

Ooh, good point there, especially if you travel a lot. By the time my first camera jumped ship (not literally, it just retired itself), it had quite a few scratches, and had seen a lot of country. It may have lasted longer had I had a better case for it. So it goes.

94GTStang
08-16-2007, 17:30
That is a question I never pondered. It was clearly worth every penny to take dive pics. It's so nice to say I saw this and here it is. Or check out this badarse pic of the turtle/shark coming at me

deepdiver47
08-16-2007, 19:45
IMHO, it sure is. I started taking pics in May with a camera setup that I found in 50 ft of water. It has changed the way that I dive. It is an expense but when you don't take pics what do you have to show for it?

tedtim
08-16-2007, 19:57
As I write this I can look on the wall and see the photo I took in Roatan of a seahorse with my wife in the background. It is not the best composition; it is not the best exposure; it was worth every penny. I smile everytime I look at it.

My point and shoot camera is slowly dying (LCD screen is starting to go), so now I am just pondering when to get the UW housing for the DSLR.

CompuDude
08-16-2007, 19:57
Changed my diving.

My diving is now more about taking pictures than just diving. I feel naked diving without a camera. I also don't move as slowly. Sometimes I see a few more things, because I'm covering more ground. But I also have to depend on my hazy memory, and words, to describe it to someone, rather than having proof positive in my hand. And with a camera, I don't cover as much ground... so my dives last longer, because I'm calm and relaxed. And I get to focus in on seeing all the little critters that make such a dense carpet of life in the ocean.

Once upon a time, I dove and occasionally waved a camera at something. This was in the days of 35mm cameras with one roll of film, ziploc bag-like cases, and no external strobe. Since I went digital, I can't believe how much my diving has changed... I was never much for photography on dry land, but underwater, it has opened up a whole new world for me.

Phestr
08-17-2007, 02:20
I went through the same dilemma with my Canon point and shoot. I finally made the plunge, and when I had my camera stolen, I immediately bought a new one on eBay so I could still use the housing. I also agree with CompuDude on all points. My dives are much more enjoyable, and passing around the pictures is a great afterdive activity (I display them on my PDA). But, as others have said, now I'm in the market for a strobe, which will cost more than both camera and the housing combined. It's an addiction, no doubt about it.

torrey
08-17-2007, 08:45
As I write this I can look on the wall and see the photo I took in Roatan of a seahorse with my wife in the background. It is not the best composition; it is not the best exposure; it was worth every penny. I smile everytime I look at it.

This brings up a good point. I have a few of my pictures on my wall at work. I sometimes tend to forget specifics about dives...I'll remember the overall good feeling, but not the details. But when I look at any one of my pictures, I remember that moment exactly and it also brings back other memories about the same dive.

Dabaras
08-17-2007, 14:34
I've gotten to the point that I rarely dive without the camera. I have aborted dives where I had problems with the camera because I would rather go up and fix the problem and do another dive later.

tedtim
08-17-2007, 14:48
This is why I take my camera underwater

http://forum.scubatoys.com/gallery/files/2/4/5/Lookbutdonttouch.jpg

cummings66
08-19-2007, 09:46
I think it's worth it from the standpoint of memories.

subsur
08-19-2007, 11:16
i just finished my UW digital photography class. i've taked other film photpgraphy classes in the past.
I think it all depends on how serious your about photography. you can get a decent point-and-shoot camera for $200 and a housing for $200 and have a complete set-up to make amateur pictures and a lot of people are happily using these set-ups.
there will be always some percentage of people who get into a hobby and then buy all kind of expensive equipment and soon realize that it's not for them. Thank god for these people, 'cos we buy their used gear for good price :)
to be good at photography is a lot of work and shooting UW only makes it more complicated. is it worth to spend $200 - absolutely if you want to do UW photography. is it better to get a computer or a regulator first if you don't have any - probably yes.

scubaguy4409
08-19-2007, 12:15
Well worth having. I started with a cheap 35mm camera and the pictures never seemed that great. Bought a housing fo rmy small Canon S230 and can view all pictures while still diving to see if it's worth another. Also a lot more space to take additional pictures and can get downloaded throughout the week at some of the dive shops.

sidneydiver
08-20-2007, 01:17
I took my new camera in the ocean for the 1st time last weekend. I had such a good time that I can see how it can become addictive. I'm already thinking about getting an external strobe. I felt like a fish I was moving so slowly and carefully and my air consumption was fantastic, and more importantly I took some cool photos!

Charlotte Smith
08-20-2007, 06:05
Get the housing!!!! It is all worth it to have shots of your buddies and yourself.....Mine is not expensive but everytime we get others to start diving ...I have their entire class on film..

If you aren't doing it for art on your wall just get the housing or be prepared to spend the money for more and more stuff!

RonFrank
08-29-2007, 09:27
$200 is what my arm setup cost! :smiley5:

If you are into photography in general, than you will likely enjoy UW photography. You also need to be a good diver. If you can not stop in the water column, or hover motionless just above the reef, than work on those skills.

Photography is task loading. Make sure you are comfortable with the diving first.

BobArnold8265
09-06-2007, 12:07
Is underwater photography worth the $$$$ ??? That's a bit of a trick questions and like most questions the answer is it depends. Specifically, it depends on you. I personally love taking underwater shots. I find it to be a challange as well as a way to document my adventures. My Wife on the other hand doesn't like to take pictures. She feels that for her, taking a camera is a distraction. Her belief is that when she has a camera, she focuses too much on one or two things and misses out on a lot of the dive (a bit like focusing on a tree and missing the forest).

So the real question is will you personally enjoy it. Sorry, if this doen't help !!!

ScubaJenn81
09-06-2007, 12:59
I think any photo is worth it's weight in gold, it helps you remember so much better

gtjason2000
09-06-2007, 16:10
Consensus, it is worth it, but apparently the sample set you are getting to reply love cameras and the people who hate them are standing quietly in the corner. Next dive vacation bring a laptop and some blank cds and sell your shots $10 a cd to the people diving with you. After you meet 20 people without cameras you will have your money back.

allison finch
09-07-2007, 21:28
:smilie39:
200.00 is a lot of money???

I love my camera and, likely, so will you. If you're not careful, that 200.00 rig will end up being something like this;

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w162/allisonfinch_photos/bigrig002-1.jpg

And 200.00 will be a fond memory......:smiley2:

Cheddarchick
09-08-2007, 06:03
oooohhh Allison......sweet.

Kidder
09-08-2007, 09:14

My wife and I have a housing for our cannon power shot. Its awesome underwater. The only problematic thing is to keep it from fogging up. I recomend putting it in a cooler (the camera and housing) before going down. I do this with out it being sealed, but up on top so it doesn't get wet. I it gets condensation on the lense wipe off with something soft. It shouldn't fog up when you go down.

bversteegh
09-09-2007, 10:11
I was getting kind of bored diving before the camera bug bit me, I had been diving for 20 plus years - usually 5 to 10 dives per year. By the end of my usual week long trip of 2 dives/day, I was looking for excuses to skip a dive and just kick back.

Since getting a digital camera/housing in 2004, I now average 50 - 100 dives per year (as many as the wife will let me get away with); and often dive 4 to 5 times per day (even though I am a lot closer to 50 than I want to admit).

Every dive is now a treasure hunt - what new/different critter or composition can I find this dive? I have become much more aware of behavior/habitat for marine life; and I love showing my pictures when I get back from a trip.

So for me, uw photography reinvigorated my love for diving.

CompuDude
09-10-2007, 14:03
I was getting kind of bored diving before the camera bug bit me, I had been diving for 20 plus years - usually 5 to 10 dives per year. By the end of my usual week long trip of 2 dives/day, I was looking for excuses to skip a dive and just kick back.

Since getting a digital camera/housing in 2004, I now average 50 - 100 dives per year (as many as the wife will let me get away with); and often dive 4 to 5 times per day (even though I am a lot closer to 50 than I want to admit).

Every dive is now a treasure hunt - what new/different critter or composition can I find this dive? I have become much more aware of behavior/habitat for marine life; and I love showing my pictures when I get back from a trip.

So for me, uw photography reinvigorated my love for diving.

Nearly the exact same story here!

lmorin
09-10-2007, 14:28
I have been a life-long birder. Looking at sea creatures is a lot different because you can't open a field guide, then alternate between it and the binoculars. I have been using my camera to take a picture of everything of interest, particularly fish, for later identification. Lots of these shots are pretty rotten, but that is not really the point. They allow more exact recall of seen, but not identified, creatures. Wife gets a bit annoyed at my lagging behind taking pictures a lot of the time.

CompuDude
09-10-2007, 14:43
I have been a life-long birder. Looking at sea creatures is a lot different because you can't open a field guide, then alternate between it and the binoculars. I have been using my camera to take a picture of everything of interest, particularly fish, for later identification. Lots of these shots are pretty rotten, but that is not really the point. They allow more exact recall of seen, but not identified, creatures. Wife gets a bit annoyed at my lagging behind taking pictures a lot of the time.

Perhaps your wife should learn to slow down and start learning to enjoy the smaller things. Scuba isn't a race. :) Photography made me FAR more aware of just how many tiny things there are down there that I used to swim right by without noticing.

diving4fun
09-10-2007, 16:05
Ha! Just wait till the video bug bites you, then you will see the $$ fly away at super shutter speed.

bversteegh
09-11-2007, 21:37

Perhaps your wife should learn to slow down and start learning to enjoy the smaller things. Scuba isn't a race. :) Photography made me FAR more aware of just how many tiny things there are down there that I used to swim right by without noticing.

I swim much slower now. Also, I have learned habitats, so critters I used to swim right by, I now slow down, observe, and usually find all kinds of neat little creatures I would have never seen before becoming a photographer. And even though I am much less streamlined, I use less air because I have slowed down.