PDA

View Full Version : Would like to dive Oronogo sometime.

CWSWine
10-07-2008, 10:15
I need to get together with some of you guys sometime and do some diving but before any responds let me tell you pros and cons of diving with me.

Cons
My longest dive log on my computer since OW has been 13 minutes.
I suck air and will probably ending the dive long before anyone else
My buoyancy is horrible and needs lots of work.
I ask lots of really stupid questions and constantly try to pick you brain for new knowledge.
I just an OW dive and won’t go below 60 feet.
Just lacking any really meaningful diving experience to add to the dive.

Pros
I usually bring a lot snacks.
I take criticism well!

mm2002
10-07-2008, 22:17
My longest dive log on my computer since OW has been 13 minutes.
I suck air and will probably ending the dive long before anyone else
My buoyancy is horrible and needs lots of work.
I ask lots of really stupid questions and constantly try to pick you brain for new knowledge.
I just an OW dive and won’t go below 60 feet.
Just lacking any really meaningful diving experience to add to the dive.

Pros
I usually bring a lot snacks.
I take criticism well!

Sounds to me like you just need some bottom time to iron things out. Not a big deal at all, and I'd be more than happy to meet you at Oronogo some time and do some dives with you. You can't possibly suck any worse than I did when I was first starting diving....so maybe I can give you some pointers! :smiley2:.

Brandon Belew
10-08-2008, 09:33
You had me at snacks

CWSWine
10-08-2008, 19:32
Well when you guys decided to go down let me know and I will meet you there. I would appreciate all the help I can get.

julz
10-08-2008, 22:28
i'm a beginner to but i would not mind coming out sometime.

Brandon Belew
10-08-2008, 22:45
I'm more then likely going this weekend

navyhmc
10-09-2008, 03:35
I am planning on going down to Oronogo the 24th. I will let you know as it gets closer via pm.

Empacher
10-09-2008, 05:21
Where is Oronogo?

navyhmc
10-09-2008, 05:54
Where is Oronogo?

Oronogo is in Oronogo, MO. It's about 10 miles north of Joplin Mo in the southwest corner of Missouri. Pool center is 37 11' 25.4" N 94 28' 26.2" W if you want to google earth it. Pool Elevation is arond 890' ASL.

At one time it was the largest open pit mine in the world (circa 1930's) When the ore essentially played out, the pumps were removed and it flooded.

The deepest point is around 220' with various levels from 10' to 150' with the road gradually going from around 10' to 60' and then swings around the plane and drops to around 110' you pass right but a set of caverns called "The Doors" and then on north to the cabin cruiser. Most diving happens on the southeast side of the pit.

Vis is usually around 10'-15' above the thermocline and 20'-30' below it. Water temps varies above the 'cline from 70'sf in the summer to 50'sf in the winter. Below the cline the temp remains about 50f-52f year round.

There are a good number of horizontal shafts that extend from the walls-some are miles long and very dangerous if you get into them!!!! A lot of Tech, cave and cavern classes use it for training dives as well as OW classes in the area. A few things have been sunk for your amusement as well: A small twin engine plane, a number of statues, 3 boats at various depths, there's a wrecked car park at around 50' for you to view.

The park is open usually from March to the end of November. Half the fun is getting to the water. From the parking lot, it's a walk down a faily steep road that drops about 50'-60' in about 200'.

It's not the Santa Rosa wall, but not too bad for the midwest.

ETA: Gratuitous plug for snagel: For more infomation and upto date conditions, see Scuba Steves' Midwest Muck Diving Conditions (http://www.midwestmuckdiving.com/)

CWSWine
10-09-2008, 10:58
All I have currently own is a 3 mil which sounds like it might be a little thin - what you guys suggest for exposure protect with temps of 50 to 52.

Brandon Belew
10-09-2008, 12:11
7mm or dry suit, I wear a two piece farmer john.

navyhmc
10-09-2008, 13:01
I dive a 6.5mm one piece with a 3mm hooded vest-that works well for me-never too cold even on a hang around safety diver at 90'/48f.

Also, John updated the website recently: Captain Johns | Oronogo, MO (http://www.oronogo.com/)

CWSWine
10-10-2008, 18:32
Looking at ST what do you think of the BARE 7MM ARCTIC FULL SUIT COMBO I have a 3 mil NEO vest already and if I pick up a separate 5 mil hood I could wear just the suit and hood - suit, NEO vest and hood, or the 7 Mil and Bare vest/hood. Looks like it will give me lots of combinations. I also have a set of reef gloves so I will probably need to pickup a set of 5 mil gloves and my boots are 3 mil which would probably work. I would like to purchase from ST but there is not many choices in 7 mil suits.

CWSWine
10-10-2008, 18:33
Maybe get enough post to get a 10% forum discount!:smiley20:

navyhmc
10-10-2008, 22:46
PM sent your way CWSWine...

CWSWine
10-16-2008, 01:25
Well I received the BARE 7MM ARCTIC FULL SUIT COMBO XL and it did not fit and they are out of bigger sizes till Jan 09. The only 7mm they had in stock in a XXL was the Henderson 7/5 so I bit the bullet and had them ship it. I also have a 5/3 hood, 5mm gloves, 3mm boots and a 3mm vest. I picked up my reg from repair and it still broke and so I moved it to a backup reg and purchased a new regulator setup. Decided I need a dive light so I pickup the Princeton Tec Shockwave LED. So on weekend of the 25th if talking in high pitch voice the wife got the credit bill and she wasn't happy. :smiley36:

navyhmc
10-16-2008, 03:08
Good to go, I will meet you there! Look for the light blue chev P/U with a matching topper and a Ham radio tag.

Dark Wolf
10-16-2008, 10:58
I am planning to be there the 25th as well. Hope to see you there.

DW

beperkins
10-17-2008, 08:25
You could always just rent a warmer suit until they get some in , I believe Capt. John's rental rates are fairly cheap.

navyhmc
10-27-2008, 15:19
A good time was had by all.

Brandon, CWSWine (which indicates wine not pork on the hoof :smiley36: ) and myself had a few good dives on Saturday. Good diving to say the least! Dennis, when you want to go back, give me a call, I'd be more than happy to dive with you again. And next time I'll have that !%^*%^&$%^ cramp situation solved.

Hope fully I'll be able to get back down there before the end of the season. :smiley20:

Brandon Belew
10-27-2008, 15:44
NavyHMC 's save a dive kit consists of bananas and midol.

navyhmc
10-27-2008, 16:03
Actually...Potassium tabs, Calcium tabs, Ginger tabs, Vit C, Motrin, Bonine, Multi-vitamins, Aspirin, AST tool kit (from Scuba Toys) Bungee cord, o-rings, spare batteries for anything I have, spare lights, spare knife, spare fins, spare mask, spare fins straps, spare spring strap parts, etc...but no midol-doesn't work, it's tylenol, caffiene and a mild diuretic-nothing that I would call good for muscle cramps. I figure good hydration and potassium is my friend.

I can add it if you need some though...:smilie39: :smilie39: :smilie39: :D

CWSWine
10-27-2008, 17:00
A good time was had by all.

Brandon, CWSWine (which indicates wine not pork on the hoof :smiley36: ) and myself had a few good dives on Saturday. Good diving to say the least! Dennis, when you want to go back, give me a call, I'd be more than happy to dive with you again. And next time I'll have that !%^*%^&$%^ cramp situation solved.

Hope fully I'll be able to get back down there before the end of the season. :smiley20:

Yep was a fun weekend and learned a lot! If you go again before the end of season and I will see if it works out here also.

So much to learn and winter so close!!!

Mtrewyn
10-27-2008, 18:17
I would like to try diving out there, It's close, and I have never been there. I only have a 3mm suit and a 3mm hooded vest, so I would have to rent something.

mm2002
10-27-2008, 18:43
Sounds like you guys had some god dives! cool!
Yeah, their suits are pretty cheap to rent, but don't expect much.....looked like most of them have 1,000,000 + dives on 'em! :smiley36:

CWSWine
10-27-2008, 18:43
Brandon

Heard you bought a back plate, which one did you get?

Brandon Belew
10-27-2008, 18:52
Brandon

Heard you bought a back plate, which one did you get?

Bought:

Dive Rite Deluxe Harness reviews and discounts, Dive Rite (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=DiveRiteDlxHarness)
Dive Rite Aluminum Backplate reviews and discounts, Dive Rite (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=DiveRiteAluminumbBackplate)
2007 Closeout Dive Rite Classic Air Cell Wing reviews and discounts, Dive Rite (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=2007ClassicWing)

Dark Wolf
10-27-2008, 19:49
Yes, it was a great day! CWS, it was nice to meet you. Navy HMC and Brandon, it was good to see you guys again. I am planning on being there in two weeks, CWS.

DW