PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on these 2 lights

skdvr
10-07-2008, 23:23
I have been looking at the Dive Rite 700 LED (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=DiveRite700LED) and the Salvo 12w LED (http://www.golemgear.com/p-405-salvo-rebel-12-watt-led-light.aspx) and I am curious about opinions from divers that have used or seen either of these lights in action. I have heard lots of good things about the Salvo, and I realize that the DR light is new so there may not be many of you out there that have any experience with it.

So please, I am looking for the good and the bad of each.

Just from looking at the specs I am not sure how crazy I am about the elastic handle on the salvo. Otherwise they seem pretty comparable from the factory specs...

Thanks
Phil

Gombessa
10-07-2008, 23:27
Well, off the top of my head, the Salvo is a single LED whereas the DR has 3 emitters, so the Salvo will likely focus more tightly. The Salvo also has a smaller canister with a li-ion battery that charges through the light head (the canister does not open). Some reports have said the LED700 does not focus as tightly as a 10w Dive Rite HID, which is a bit apples to oranges here (though the Salvo doesn't focus as brightly as a Salvo 10w HID).

CompuDude
10-08-2008, 01:16
Salvo, pretty much for all the reasons Gombie listed.

I don't care for the elastic band either, but perhaps something can be jury-rigged to work with a hard Goodman?

Aussie
10-08-2008, 04:59
There is a big difference between the build quality of the Salvo's and the DR can lights. Simply pull apart the can itself and compare the two. The Salvo is well made compared to the DR but your also paying more for it.

Regarding the elastic handle I have one on my DR H10 and I like the feel of it over the goodman handle as i find it easier to perform tasks.

Regards Mark

mm_dm
10-08-2008, 07:35
Well, off the top of my head, the Salvo is a single LED whereas the DR has 3 emitters, so the Salvo will likely focus more tightly. The Salvo also has a smaller canister with a li-ion battery that charges through the light head (the canister does not open). Some reports have said the LED700 does not focus as tightly as a 10w Dive Rite HID, which is a bit apples to oranges here (though the Salvo doesn't focus as brightly as a Salvo 10w HID).

The canister is sealed and the light is activated by rotating, eliminating the switch. Ingenious design with fewer failure points.

skdvr
10-08-2008, 14:11
My LDS just offered a pretty killer deal on the DR light. They are not Salvo dealers so I PM'd Joe this morning about a price on the Salvo since they did not show them on their website. I have not heard anything just yet. I am leaning to the Salvo but we will have to see the price difference.

Thanks for the Info

Phil

mwhities
10-08-2008, 14:18
IMHO

Salvo > *

Michael

EDIT: I must add, for their lights at least.

skdvr
10-09-2008, 18:34
Well I ordered the Salvo...

There was just enough about the Salvo that I liked better that it just pushed me further that way....

One of my buddies is ordering the DR LED 700 so it will be nice to see them in the water together....

Phil

Wetnurse28
10-17-2008, 01:12
I am interested to know why you selected an LED over HID.

I am seriously considering the Salvo Havoc 21W Li-Ion HID. Most of my diving is in Lake Michigan and I have read that HID still are the best lights hands down.

Phil, please post why you chose that light and I am interested to read your post on its performance.

nikefreekz
10-17-2008, 01:22
out of curiosity, why is HID more superior over LED???

CompuDude
10-17-2008, 11:43

Better light output, better focusing ability (single light source bulb vs. an array of LEDs, single source is much easier to focus), better battery performance (at the 21w output levels, LED technology is not as energy efficient as it is at lower levels), and, frankly, it's a known quantity... the reliability of Salvo's 21w HID lights has been proven over and over, while the reliability of higher end LED-based lights has had quite a few growing pains.

I have no doubt that LED will overtake HID as the top dog at some point, probably soon. But with current tech, the gear on the market NOW, at the 21w level and up, HID is still king.

Heavy D
10-20-2008, 21:34
One word...penetration.

KennyD
10-20-2008, 21:54
I have been looking at the Dive Rite 700 LED (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=DiveRite700LED) and the Salvo 12w LED (http://www.golemgear.com/p-405-salvo-rebel-12-watt-led-light.aspx) and I am curious about opinions from divers that have used or seen either of these lights in action. I have heard lots of good things about the Salvo, and I realize that the DR light is new so there may not be many of you out there that have any experience with it.

So please, I am looking for the good and the bad of each.

Just from looking at the specs I am not sure how crazy I am about the elastic handle on the salvo. Otherwise they seem pretty comparable from the factory specs...

Thanks
Phil

I too was going to buy a LED light until I got the chance to use one. I just bought the Salvo 21Watt. 10amp. HID and Love it!!! No regrets! Salvo will tell you that LED is NOT quite up to speed with the HID lights yet. Give it a few years!

skdvr
10-26-2008, 01:22

I am seriously considering the Salvo Havoc 21W Li-Ion HID. Most of my diving is in Lake Michigan and I have read that HID still are the best lights hands down.

Phil, please post why you chose that light and I am interested to read your post on its performance.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this question...

I know that you have already bought your Salvo 21w (I am a little jealous) but here is why I bought the smaller light and went with LED.

1. Price... I really was not ready to spend the extra money on the light right now... My wife just had our twin boys so I have plenty of money that will be going out other places.

2. I really like how well LEDs will take abuse. Granted I am probably more careful with my gear than most people, but to this point I have been very happy with my little Princeton Tec LED and the Salvo 12w LED puts out a lot more light than the Princeton does.

3. I talked with several local tech divers and all of them prefer the lower power lights for the deep tech, which is the direction I am going. They like their bigger lights in the clear caves. They say that because there is so much silt in our waters here that with the bigger lights they get lots of reflection back at them. They say that they can actually see better with the softer light. Now they also say that if you do get seperated the LED's do not penetrate nearly as well to try to signal to a buddy that you cannot see. So there is a trade off either way. A few of them had bought 10 and 12w LED lights as a backup and now use them more that their 18w and 21w lights...

All of those thing together made me go the direction I went. One of my main diving buddies dives with a 21w salvo HID and I am sure I will be envious at times, but not when he is complaining about his bulb going out and having to buy a new one...

Phil

CompuDude
10-28-2008, 00:56

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this question...

I know that you have already bought your Salvo 21w (I am a little jealous) but here is why I bought the smaller light and went with LED.

1. Price... I really was not ready to spend the extra money on the light right now... My wife just had our twin boys so I have plenty of money that will be going out other places.

2. I really like how well LEDs will take abuse. Granted I am probably more careful with my gear than most people, but to this point I have been very happy with my little Princeton Tec LED and the Salvo 12w LED puts out a lot more light than the Princeton does.

3. I talked with several local tech divers and all of them prefer the lower power lights for the deep tech, which is the direction I am going. They like their bigger lights in the clear caves. They say that because there is so much silt in our waters here that with the bigger lights they get lots of reflection back at them. They say that they can actually see better with the softer light. Now they also say that if you do get seperated the LED's do not penetrate nearly as well to try to signal to a buddy that you cannot see. So there is a trade off either way. A few of them had bought 10 and 12w LED lights as a backup and now use them more that their 18w and 21w lights...

All of those thing together made me go the direction I went. One of my main diving buddies dives with a 21w salvo HID and I am sure I will be envious at times, but not when he is complaining about his bulb going out and having to buy a new one...

Phil

I hear what you're saying. But realistically, how many times have you heard about people having their Salvo 21w HID bulbs going out? I'm not talking about other brands, I'm talking about Salvo. And let's ignore any extreme situations like a light falling out of the truck at 65mph, which would destroy anything.

Seriously, with the Salvo HIDs sold in the past 4 years, barring GROSS negligence (of the severity that would imperil LED as well), I just don't hear that happening.

It's true that in low quality water, a floodlight is bad due to backscatter. But that's where a light with a really tight focus really comes into it's own... you know, like the Salvo 10 and 21w HIDs. ;)

skdvr
10-29-2008, 00:12
Well I look at it this way too... In a year or two if I really think that I need a 21w light (and I probably will, just because I am always wanting newer and better) then my wife will get the 12w LED light to use... I honestly think that for about 85% - 90% of my diving right now the 12w LED will be plenty of light... Like I said the buddy that I dive with all the time has the Big Salvo so diving with him more will probably make me want the 21w sooner rather than later but we will see...

Phil

cummings66
10-29-2008, 07:32
I've had my Dive Rite 24 Watt HID down below 150 feet a few times and there is little to no scatter that deep down, and when it is scattered even the dimmer lights scatter.

I don't think it's a drawback no matter what the conditions are, and if it's bad enough I figure that's the breaks.

skdvr
10-30-2008, 06:25
Come on guys just tell me that you would trade your big guns for the 12w LED to make me feel better....:smiley2:

I was actually thinking yesterday about sending this one back and just forking out the money for a 21w, but I just cannot do it right now. At twice the cost I would rather just use this until I feel that I have grown out of it....

Phil

mm_dm
10-30-2008, 07:29
I think you got a good light, Phil. for what it's worth. I've watched a couple of my friends go through HID bulbs just this season at no small cost. I bought my DR 10 watt with the idea that I would sell or regift it down the road for a bigger Salvo and I don't think that is uncommon. One guy I know, call him Mr Lucky, has been through 2 bulbs just this season. I'd hate to pour more money into a light that I wasn't going to keep all that long anyway.

UCFKnightDiver
10-30-2008, 09:09
the dive rite 10w with the mr11 head, I have heard can be upgraded to the dive rite 700 lumen led for 150 dollars, you would almost be better off paying that, than paying 100 dollars for a new bulb.

CompuDude
10-30-2008, 13:49
Come on guys just tell me that you would trade your big guns for the 12w LED to make me feel better....:smiley2:

I was actually thinking yesterday about sending this one back and just forking out the money for a 21w, but I just cannot do it right now. At twice the cost I would rather just use this until I feel that I have grown out of it....

Phil

Don't sweat it, you have a good light. I have a 10w HID for my backup (the 12w LED is just as good, I'm told by people I trust), and there's nothing wrong with it, I just like the 21w better. I wouldn't own it if I had had to pay full price for it, though, so I understand your dilemma. If I could, I would happily trade my 10w HID for an LED version like yours.

I dive with a number of people who have 10w HID lights. You can certainly tell the difference between theirs and my 21w HID, but their lights still perform very well.

You'll note, btw, the people above who were complaining about bulb breakage are referring to DiveRite and perhaps Halcyon HIDs. NOT Salvo HIDs. They're just not the same, and shouldn't be compared to the others.