PDA

View Full Version : Petition against bringing Whalesharks into Singapore resort aquarium

Lj82
10-07-2008, 23:53
I do not know what are the feelings amongst the Americans here regarding whalesharks in captivity. There's some (slight:smiley11:) commotion here in Singapore regarding a new resort's plans to bring in whalesharks and display them in their aquarium.

Some people over here have started a petition against this plan.
I thought maybe some of you might be interested in signing it.

No Whale Sharks in Aquariums! Petition (http://www.petitiononline.com/NoWSinSG/petition.html)

petition against whaleshark in sentosa aquarium

CompuDude
10-08-2008, 01:23
I vote no. :smiley21:

Keep 'em free!

drako
10-08-2008, 07:56
Let large pelagics be free!

warscout2
10-08-2008, 11:15
Im not sure i understand the reason behind do you all just not beleave in aquariums

Lj82
10-08-2008, 11:29
Im not sure i understand the reason behind do you all just not beleave in aquariums

At least not this one.
I watched a Jean Cousteau documentary about some aquariums in the states and I have to admit I was impressed.

But the Singapore version is one build in the latest resort world, purely for the sake of entertaining tourists. I just do not have the confidence in them to take care of the well-being of the whaleshark.

CompuDude
10-08-2008, 11:45

I have no problem with aquariums. I do have a problem with whale sharks in aquariums. To date, they have a 100% fatality rate for whale sharks in captivity. They do not do well without the open ocean to roam in. And they're far too endangered as a species to be sacrificed as "entertainment" to tourists. If this was a well-funded scientific study by experts in the field under carefully controlled conditions, I could perhaps see it, although I'd still be uncomfortable with it. But that's not even close to the actual situation of a tourist resort wanting something neat to show off.

Welfare Groups In Singapore Fight For Whale Shark :: DivePhotoGuide.com - The Underwater Photo & Video Portal (http://www.divephotoguide.com/news/welfare_groups_in_signapore_fight_for_whale_shark)

PaulThomas
10-08-2008, 14:19

At least not this one.
I watched a Jean Cousteau documentary about some aquariums in the states and I have to admit I was impressed.

But the Singapore version is one build in the latest resort world, purely for the sake of entertaining tourists. I just do not have the confidence in them to take care of the well-being of the whaleshark.
Aren't aquarium almost always for intertainment purposes? CompuDude makes a valid point and I think you'd get much more support if you advertised it as saving a specie than blocking an aquarium from having a fish.

warscout2
10-08-2008, 14:54
I have no problem with aquariums. I do have a problem with whale sharks in aquariums. To date, they have a 100% fatality rate for whale sharks in captivity. They do not do well without the open ocean to roam in. And they're far too endangered as a species to be sacrificed as "entertainment" to tourists. If this was a well-funded scientific study by experts in the field under carefully controlled conditions, I could perhaps see it, although I'd still be uncomfortable with it. But that's not even close to the actual situation of a tourist resort wanting something neat to show off.

Welfare Groups In Singapore Fight For Whale Shark :: DivePhotoGuide.com - The Underwater Photo & Video Portal (http://www.divephotoguide.com/news/welfare_groups_in_signapore_fight_for_whale_shark)

Im glad you explained this i totally support what everyone is trying to do now that i know the situation

Lj82
10-09-2008, 11:39

At least not this one.

Aren't aquarium almost always for intertainment purposes? CompuDude makes a valid point and I think you'd get much more support if you advertised it as saving a specie than blocking an aquarium from having a fish.

CompuDude sure articulates it better than me.
By the way I'm just spreading the msg and am not in the group of people behind this petition.
Sure enough aquariums are mostly for entertainment purposes.
I guess my point was more towards some lame excuses I've seen the resort made with claims that it will benefit researches of Whalesharks whatsoever. I can't remember the exact quote they made or when they made though.

DevilDiver
10-23-2008, 22:45
Done!

ScubaDude
10-26-2008, 21:27
It would definately be a great attraction to ANY aquarium, but with a track record of 100% fatality, they need to leave this one alone.

teerlkay
11-25-2008, 22:11
No aquarium is big enough! Voted - keep them free!

ianr33
11-25-2008, 22:45
Signed.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Kimusubi
11-25-2008, 23:53
It's always a touchy subject when it comes to which animals to keep in captivity. I think the big rule of thumb here is if the animal is endangered, and you are not part of a scientific team working to benefit the animal, then you should leave it in the wild. Whale Sharks are such large animals that:

1. It will cost A LOT to maintain them
2. No matter how big your aquarium is, it will never be the ocean

IMHO, an animal that large will always be depressed in an aquarium. I understand that people need to make money, but they need to do it in a way that doesn't sacrifice others.